News
NDIC Recovers N22bn Depositors’ Funds
The Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC), has made a debt recovery of N22.79 billion in 2010, as against the N20.77 billion it recovered in 2009, Alhaji Umaru Ibrahim, its Managing Director, has said.
Ibrahim disclosed this in the 2010 annual report and statement of account of the NDIC, a copy of which was given to our correspondent in Abuja.
“The total cumulative recovery made by the NDIC in 2010 was N22.79 billion, as against N20.77 billion in 2009, representing an increase of over N2billion or about 9.7 per cent,’’ he said.
He said that in 2010, the corporation embarked on a number of aggressive debt recovery activities to facilitate and enhance liquidation dividends being paid to depositors.
Ibrahim said that the corporation used debt recovery agents and relevant law enforcement agencies, as well as the Assets Management Company of Nigeria (AMCON) to achieve the debt recovery.
“The NDIC has commenced discussions with AMCON to use its platform to dispose some of the risks assets of ‘banks-in-liquidation’.
“The NDIC has completed the segregation of all accounts, with outstanding balances of N100 million and above, and 174 accounts will be off-loaded to AMCON as soon as it takes off,’’ he added.
On the closed micro-finance banks (MFBs), Ibrahim said that that NDIC had compiled all the necessary information on 76, out of 104closed banks.
He said that the payment of their insured deposits commenced on December 6, 2010.
‘As at December 31, 2010,NDIC had paid over N559.2 million to 18, 520 depositors of the affected micro-finance banks.
“It is noteworthy that the payment was effected with minimum delay from the date of closure.
“The NDIC had since intensified efforts at obtaining the required information from the rest 27 MFBs, so that payment to affected depositors could commence in January 2011.’’
Ibrahim said that as at December 31, 2010, the corporation had also paid a total of N7.597 billion to insured depositors of the banks-in-liquidation.
He said that apart from the payment of insured sums, the NDIC had the additional responsibility of settling the claims of uninsured depositors, creditors and shareholders of the closed banks by paying liquidation dividends.
“The sum of N69.9 billion had been paid as liquidation dividends to 248,822 depositors as at the end of year 2010.
“The payment included the uninsured portion of private sector depositors of 11 out of the 13 banks closed in 2006.’’
Ibrahim said that at the end of 2010, N1, 500.33 million was earmarked for some creditors of the banks-in-liquidation, out of which the NDIC had paid N848.127 million to creditors who had filed their claims.
He also said that the cumulative liquidation dividends declared for the shareholders of three banks-in-liquidation as at Dec. 31, 2010 stood at N1, 513 million, out of which N1, 285.65 million had been paid.
Ibrahim noted that the cumulative dividends paid to uninsured depositors of the banks, under the “purchase as assumption arrangement’’, as at December 2010 totalled N63.52 billion, as against N59.443 billion paid in December 2009, reflecting an increase of N4.08 billion.
News
RSG Reaffirms Commitment To Quality Education
News
RSUBE Holds Training For 1,000 New Teachers
The Rivers State Universal Basic Education Board (RSUBE) has trained 1,000 newly recruited teachers with a view to raising standards in public primary and junior secondary schools in the state.
The two-day orientation and capacity building programme held in Port Harcourt introduced the teachers to civil service rules, classroom management practices, and professional conduct expected of educators in the state.
The State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, told the newly recruited teachers that teaching demands more than academic qualifications, and called for discipline, diligence, and a strong commitment to service.
He described teaching as a noble profession that is central to the development of the state.
The recruitment, he said, reflects the government’s investment in children and long-term development.
“Education is the foundation of societal progress, and basic education is where that foundation is laid,” Nwagor stated.
He urged the teachers to shape the values and character of pupils during their most formative years.
He pledged continued support from the Ministry of Education through training, resources, and an environment that allows teachers to perform effectively.
Nwagor directed RSUBEB to reject transfer requests from rural to urban schools, saying the newly employed teachers have an obligation to serve where they are posted and help strengthen education in those communities.
In his opening remarks, the RSUBEB Chairman, Hon. Sam Oge, explained that the recruitment process began in 2023 under the previous board, adding that after assuming office, he consulted widely and secured Governor Siminalayi Fubara’s approval to complete the exercise.
Oge said the selection was competitive, with 1,000 candidates chosen from more than 5,000 applicants, and urged the teachers to treat the opportunity seriously and avoid lobbying for reposting.
He directed the teachers to resume at their assigned schools immediately, saying request for reposting will not be entertained.
The former RSUBEB Chairman, Ven. Dr. Fyneface Akah, who delivered the keynote address, described the orientation as the teachers’ formal entry into the civil service.
He urged them to be creative, purposeful, and open to learning on the job.
Akah stressed that teachers have a role in restoring values lost to moral decline, and urged them to model national values and see their work as a calling with lasting impact on the society.
He thanked the State Government for approving the recruitment, noting that the exercise will improve access to quality basic education across the State.
Akujobi Amadi
News
INEC To Deploy 1.4m Corps Members For 2027 Elections
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has disclosed that no fewer than 1.4 million members of the National Youth Service Corps will be deployed for the 2027 general elections.
The Chairman of the commission, Prof Joash Amupitan (SAN), made this known on Monday during a courtesy visit to the Director-General of the NYSC, Brig Gen Olakunle Nafiu, at the Yakubu Gowon House, headquarters of the scheme, in Abuja.
Amupitan, in a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary and Media Adviser, Adedayo Oketola, described the meeting with the NYSC senior management team as more than a formal courtesy visit, saying it was also a mission of gratitude.
According to him, the NYSC remains a critical pillar in Nigeria’s democratic process.
He noted that corps members had participated in virtually every election cycle since 1999, stressing that, “INEC cannot conduct elections in Nigeria without the NYSC.
“As the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, I am honoured to discuss our collaborative efforts toward ensuring seamless and credible elections in Nigeria.
“You provide the heartbeat of our field operations. When we speak of election manpower, we are essentially speaking of corps members.
“They are the most dedicated, educated and patriotic election duty staff we have, and their presence at polling units brings a level of neutrality and public confidence that is irreplaceable.
“They form the backbone of our election processes, especially as ad hoc staff, whose dedication, discipline and patriotism are critical to the success of our elections,” he added.
Amupitan said institutional data from the 2023 general election showed the importance of the partnership between INEC and the NYSC.
He explained that INEC deployed about 1.2 million ad hoc staff for the 2023 elections, with over 70 per cent, nearly 850,000 personnel drawn from corps members and student volunteers.
Speaking on preparations for the 2027 elections, the INEC chairman said more than 1.4 million ad hoc staff would be engaged, with corps members making up the majority.
“For the 2027 general election, we will require 707,384 ad hoc staff for the Presidential and National Assembly elections scheduled for January 16, 2027.
“The same number will be needed for the governorship and Houses of Assembly elections on February 6, 2027, making a total of 1,414,768,” he said.
He added that INEC would also require 52,446 corps members for the Ekiti and Osun governorship elections, as well as by-elections in Nasarawa, Enugu, Rivers, Ondo, Kebbi and Kano states.
Amupitan said corps members accounted for nearly 90 per cent of Registration Area Officers and Presiding Officers in many states during previous elections.
“These young Nigerians did not just facilitate voting; they protected the sanctity of the ballot in 176,846 polling units across some of the most difficult terrains in the country,” he said.
He further praised the corps members for their role in off-cycle elections, particularly the Anambra governorship election and the FCT Area Council polls.
According to him, their digital proficiency contributed significantly to the seamless operation of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System.
“In those exercises, it was the digital proficiency of corps members that ensured the seamless performance of our BVAS, proving they are the tech-savvy backbone of our modern democracy,” he added.
Amupitan acknowledged the sacrifices made by corps members during elections and assured that INEC would continue to work with the NYSC and security agencies to strengthen safety measures and welfare packages for them.
As the 2027 general election approaches, we are committed to ensuring adequate mobilisation and preparedness of NYSC members for this important national assignment,” he said.
He also noted that the Ekiti and Osun governorship elections, scheduled for June 20 and August 15, respectively, alongside several by-elections, would serve as tests for innovations ahead of the 2027 elections.
Responding, Brig. Gen. Nafiu thanked INEC for its continued collaboration with the scheme.
He recalled that the Memorandum of Understanding between both organisations was signed in 2011 and had been periodically renewed.
Nafiu described corps members as credible, reliable and easily trainable manpower.
“The last batch of millennials will soon exit the scheme, leaving behind Gen Z corps members known for their digital savviness, which will benefit INEC,” he said.
He assured the commission of the NYSC’s continued support in both the 2027 general elections and upcoming off-cycle elections.
-
Featured5 days agoWASSCE: RSG Distributes Science Materials To Secondary Schools
-
News5 days ago
Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerian Lives More Important Than Foreign Investment – Oshiomhole
-
Rivers5 days ago
MBA Forex Trial Adjourn To June 3, Amid Bereavement … As Court Declines Cost Application
-
News5 days ago
ActionAid Demands Probe Of Govs Using Public Funds For Campaign
-
Aviation5 days ago
Passengers Stranded As Delta Airline From Atlanta Route Back Eight Hours After
-
Business5 days ago
Customs Impound N2.35bn Cocaine, 15 Trailers of Rice
-
Politics5 days ago
2027: Bayelsa Senator Gets Critical Endorsement For Second Term
-
Politics5 days agoINEC Sets Rivers South-East Senatorial By-Election For June 20
