Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Adamawa

 

The Lamido of Adamawa, Alhaji Barkindo Mustapha, has

given Abdul’Aziz Nyako, the eldest son of Governor. Murala Nyako the traditional title of “Sarkin Matasa”, meaning the leader of youths in Adamawa.

Speaking at the ceremony in his palace recently in Yola, Barkindo said the title was given to Nyako based on his contribution to youth mobilisation and development in the state.

The traditional ruler said that Nyako was expected to continue to mobilise youths in the area to realise their potential for the socio-economic development of the emirate.

He added that the youth leader would also serve as security adviser to the emirate.

Barkindo, also made his son, Alhaji Mohammed Barkindo, “Kauran Adamawa” at the ceremony, and called on the new title holders to see their recognition as a challenge to live up to the expectation of the emirate.

 

FCT

 

The FCT Police Command has arrested 60 commercial mo

torcycle operators for operating within the city centre.

The Commissioner of Police in charge of the FCT, Mr Aderenle Shinaba, who led the operation, said the suspects violated the ban on operating in the metropolis.

Shinaba said that 50 of the operators were arrested at Area 1, while 10 were picked up at AYA roundabout in Asokoro.

The commissioner said the raid was part of efforts to rid the city of hoodlums and criminals during the yuletide.

 

Gombe

 

The Deputy Commissioner of Police, Gombe command, Mr

Nyat Jatau, has urged security agencies to bury their differences and unite to promote peace and security of lives and property.

He made the call on Saturday during an end-of-year party for security agents working in Gombe State.

Jatau noted that without cooperation, unity and the spirit of understanding, individual efforts aimed at ensuring law and order would be fruitless.

He said the Federal Government established the various security agencies and paramilitary organisations to ensure division of labour.

 

Jigawa

 

Governor  Sule Lamido of Jigawa  State  last Saturday in

Hadejia commended traditional rulers for ensuring peaceful co-existence among the people of the state.

Lamido made the commendation at the celebration of the 10th anniversary on the throne of the Emir of Hadejia, Alhaji Adamu Maje.

He said that the traditional institution had been playing significant roles in maintaining peace and stability in the state.

“Our monarchs have been supportive and cooperative with my government for the benefit of our people,” he said.

 

Kano

 

The Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Kano State chapter, has called on

Christians to use this Christmas season to pray for peace and development in the country in 2013.

This is contained in a statement issued on Saturday in Kano by the president of the association, Chief Tobias Idika.

“We felicitate with Christians all over the world in celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.

“We call on all Christians and, indeed, Nigerians to use this season to reflect on the series of crises and calamities that befell Nigeria in 2012,’’ the statement stated.

 

Kaduna

 

A lecturer, Mr Usman Alhassan, has called on President

Goodluck Jonathan to assent to the National Bio-safety bill passed by the Senate.

Alhassan, who lectures at the Institute for Agriculture Research (IAR), Zaria, made the call in an interview with newsmen in Zaria, Kaduna State.

The bill provides a framework to ensure the development and use of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) do not negatively affect plants, animals and human health or the environment.

It would be recalled that recalls that the senate had on June 1, 2012, agreed that the bill should be harmonised with a version passed by the House of Representatives in July 2009 and sent to the president for assent.

Kebbi

 

The Legal Aid Council in Kebbi  State has donated

relief materials to the state’s remand home to support the inmates.

The state coordinator of the council, Salisu Alhassan, told newsmen in Birnin Kebbi  that the materials included, mattresses, blankets, soap and provisions.

He said the decision to donate the materials to the remand home was to ensure comfort and to give the inmates a sense of belonging.

He said the council would ensure improvement on the donation with the collaboration of other stakeholders.

 

Kwara

 

The Kwara State Government in Ilorin has reaf-

firmed its determination to develop rural communities to curb rural-urban migration among the people.

The Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Isiaka Gold made the reaffirmation while declaring open a workshop organised for liaison officers and youth empowerment coordinators from the 16 local governments of the state.

The workshop was at the instance of the Special Assistant to the State Governor on Intergovernmental Affairs, Alhaji Aro Yahya.

Gold said the government had perfected arrangements to construct more roads in rural areas, provide portable water, electricity and other social amenities and infrastructure for the people.

 

Niger

 

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Azubuike

Ihejirika says the Nigerian Army would channel resources toward providing first class training for its personnel to meet contemporary challenges.

Ihejirika, made the statement during the graduation ceremony of the 8th Basic Counter Terrorism Training conducted by the Nigerian Army Training Centre, Kontagora, for junior officers.

He said the training would enhance the capacity of the personnel to discharge their professional duties.

He explained that the training was organised for junior officers because of the deficiency in professional conduct bordering on indiscipline, negligence in performance of duties and illegal duties.

Ondo

 

The Commissioner of Police in Ondo State, Mr

Danladi Mshelbuala, has assured the people of the state of adequate security before, during and after the yuletide.

Mshelbuala, who gave the assurance in Akure  told newsmen that the people had no cause to express fear of insecurity as they celebrate the yuletide.

He advised the people go about their lawful activities during the period.

He said the police had put in some security measures in compliance with the directives of the Inspector-General of Police to check criminal activities in the country during the celebrations.

 

Osun

 

Governor Rauf Aregbesola of Osun State says peace

ful coexistence among Nigerians irrespective of their religion and ethnic groups is vital for national development.

Aregbesola who made this known on Saturday at the grand finale of the 2012 Iwude festival in Ilesha, urged Nigerians to live in peace and harmony for the country to witness rapid development.

He expressed regrets over the insecurity and chaos in some parts of the country and called on community, religious leaders and all stakeholders in the affairs of the nation to preach peace.

He, however, commended the Yorubas for allowing peace to reign in the region, urging the people to continue to imbibe the spirit of tolerance and love for one another.

 

Plateau

 

The Special Task Force (STF) maintaining peace in

Plateau State, says it has put in place some security measures to ensure hitch-free Christmas and New Year celebrations in the state.

In a statement  by its media officer, Capt. Salisu Mustapha, the task force said security operatives would be deployed to churches and strategic areas throughout the period.

“STF would increase the temporary checkpoints throughout the festive period as well as intensify vehicular search at checkpoints,’’ it said.

It said vehicles had been banned from entering premises of recreation centres during the period, adding that STF men would be posted to the centres to complement efforts of local security operatives.

Continue Reading

Nation

HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones

Published

on

The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.

In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.

The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.

According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.

Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.

Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.

In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.

The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.

Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3

Continue Reading

Nation

REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product

Published

on

The Renewable Energy Association of Nigeria (REAN) says it has strengthened collaboration with the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) to enhance quality control and enforcement frameworks.
Mr Oisereime Lloyd-Dietake, the Head of Communications, REAN, in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja, said the collaboration would also involve stakeholder engagement on testing, certification and capacity building in Nigeria.
He said the synergy would strengthen quality control and enforcement frameworks, promote policy alignment, and ensure stronger regulation across the renewable energy value chain.
“REAN reaffirms its commitment to standardisation and quality assurance; tighter collaboration with SON is critical to eliminating fake and substandard renewable energy products from the Nigerian market.
“Enforcement and gaps in existing standards have continued to allow inferior products to circulate, undermining consumer confidence and slowing sector growth.”
Lloyd-Dietake said that at high-level discussions, REAN also highlighted the need for stronger regulatory coordination to address emerging challenges in the renewable energy space.
According to him, the issues include inconsistencies in standards, affordability issues linked to certification processes; and the increasing presence of substandard solar and renewable energy equipment in the country.
“The association further raised concerns about delays in product testing and approval, calling for the establishment of more testing laboratories and certification facilities to improve efficiency and reduce bottlenecks in the system,’’ he said.
Lloyd-Dietake urged closer collaboration among key regulatory bodies, including the Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, and the Rural Electrification Agency.
He said such team work would ensure harmonised standards and more effective enforcement against fake renewable energy products in the Nigerian market.
In response, SON acknowledged the important role REAN continued to play in supporting standardisation within Nigeria’s renewable energy industry and reaffirmed its willingness to deepen collaboration with the association.
SON further confirmed that REAN would be actively involved in future standard review processes and upcoming stakeholder engagements related to renewable energy and electric mobility standards development.
Lloyd-Dietake said REAN affirmed its willingness to formalise the partnership through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
He said the MoU is aimed at deepening cooperation, promoting quality assurance, and accelerating Nigeria’s transition towards reliable and standardised renewable energy solutions.
Continue Reading

Nation

Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians

Published

on

The WASH Systems for Health (WS4H) Programme, implemented by Self Help Africa, has expanded access to safe water and sanitation services for more than 320,000 people in Kano and Cross River States.
The organisation disclosed this on Tuesday at the WS4H National Results and Learning Workshop in Abuja, where stakeholders reviewed achievements and lessons from the intervention.
Speaking at the event, Self Help Africa Country Director, Joy Aderele, said the programme demonstrated that sustainable WASH improvements require strong institutions, effective governance, adequate financing and collaboration.
Aderele said the UK-funded programme was designed to strengthen systems that support sustainable access to water, sanitation and hygiene services.
According to her, the intervention focused on improving governance, planning, financing, accountability and sector coordination to ensure resilient service delivery.
“More than 320,000 people now have improved or restored access to water services through programme-supported interventions,” she said.
She added that more than 5,520 household toilets were constructed in Yala and Makoda Local Government Areas, boosting sanitation, public health and efforts to end open defecation.
Aderele said the programme also strengthened public investment in WASH, with Cross River increasing its sector budget by 211 per cent in 2026 and Kano by 169.07 per cent.
She added that dedicated WASH budget lines had been established across 40 Ministries, Departments and Agencies in both states, strengthening accountability and institutional commitment.
According to her, both states reviewed and adopted updated WASH policies, while key planning documents were developed to guide future investments and service delivery.
She said Cross River also recorded a major legislative milestone through the passage of the Water Law and Open Defecation Prohibition Bill.
Aderele added that lessons from interventions in Yala LGA were already informing expansion efforts in Obubra Local Government Area.
While commending the achievements, she noted that capacity gaps, resource constraints and climate-related pressures remained challenges to sustainable WASH services.
“The sustainability of these gains will depend on continued government leadership, adequate financing, strong partnerships and investment in institutional capacity,” she said.
Also speaking, the Programme Manager of WS4H, Mr Timothy Ibeawuchi, said the intervention focused on strengthening systems needed to sustain gains and attract future investments.
According to him, the programme engages stakeholders in developing strategies that preserve achievements and support long-term service delivery.
“System strengthening work takes time because it addresses the fundamental issues responsible for sustainable and resilient service delivery,” he said.
Ibeawuchi said the programme strengthened policy development, planning, financing, monitoring and evaluation systems across the WASH sector.
He said two pilot local government areas were supported to develop WASH strategic plans outlining sector goals, targets and activities between 2026 and 2030.
According to him, the plans will guide future interventions and improve service delivery in the affected councils.
Earlier, the representative of the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), Chidera Chukwu, reaffirmed support for Nigeria’s development efforts in spite of the programme nearing completion.
Chukwu commended the Self Help Africa-led consortium for delivering the programme with professionalism and a strong focus on systems strengthening.
He said the consortium contributed greatly to strengthening Nigeria’s WASH sector through policy reforms, improved coordination and enhanced accountability.
“Together, we have advanced key policy and legislative reforms, including open defecation-free laws and strengthened state WASH frameworks,” he said.
According to him, the reforms represent enduring system-level changes that will continue delivering benefits beyond the programme’s lifespan.
In his remarks, Mr Jamilu Habu, Director of Water Quality Control and Sanitation, Federal Ministry of Water Resources and Sanitation, commended the programme’s achievements.
Habu, who represented the Permanent Secretary, said the intervention strengthened governance, coordination, evidence-based planning and institutional capacity in the WASH sector.
He described the workshop as an opportunity to review achievements, share lessons and identify pathways for sustaining and scaling successful interventions.
According to him, the programme’s innovations and best practices will guide future policies and investments aimed at expanding access to safe WASH services.
Habu stressed the need for continued collaboration among governments, development partners, civil society organisations, the private sector and communities.
He said stronger partnerships remained essential to achieving universal access to water, sanitation and hygiene services and meeting Sustainable Development Goal 6.
Continue Reading

Trending