Featured

Abuja Truck Explosion Death Toll Rises To 10  …As Another Truck Crashes On Same Spot 

Published

on

The Federal Capital Territory Emergency Management Department has confirmed that 10 persons have died in the truck explosion that occurred near Karu bridge, along the Abuja-Keffi Expressway, on Wednesday.

The FEMD’s Head of Public Affairs, Nkechi Isa, confirmed the numbers in a statement, yesterday.

The Acting Director General of the Emergency Department, Abdulrahman Mohammed, had earlier confirmed that eight persons had died as of yesterday morning, with five confirmed dead on the scene, and four others burnt beyond recognition.

““Five people were taken dead from the scene yesterday (Wednesday). Out of the people that were injured, one died, making six. Then this morning (yesterday), when I asked my people to go round, they discovered that two had already died again, making eight. Four of them from yesterday were burnt beyond recognition.”, he explained.

However, in her statement, Isa said the Head, Forecasting Response and Mitigation of FEMD, Mr Mark Nyam, said eight bodies were deposited at the Karu Hospital Morgue, one body at the Asokoro Distinct Hospital Morgue while another body was deposited at the National Hospital.

He added that some victims had been referred to the Gwagwalada Teaching Hospital, Federal Medical Centre, Keffi, and Cedercrest Hospital Abuja for proper care.

Part of the statement reads, “The FCT Emergency Management Department FEMD can confirm that 10 persons lost their lives to the truck explosion that occurred at Karu bridge along Abuja / Keffi expressway.

“The Head Forecasting Response and Mitigation of FEMD, Mr Mark Nyam said eight bodies were deposited at the Karu Hospital Morgue, one body at the Asokoro Distinct Hospital Morgue while another body was deposited at the National Hospital.”

He informed that over 30 persons suffered various degrees of burns.

“Some of the victims have been referred to Gwagwalada Teaching Hospital, Federal Medical Centre,Keffi and Cedercrest Hospital Abuja for proper care,” he said.

Isa also stated that no fewer than 10 vehicles were burnt during the incident, adding that the FEMD boss after a visit to the incident scene, appealed to motorists to observe traffic rules and regulations.

He also cautioned against reckless driving, dangerous overtaking and poor maintenance of vehicles, while urging FCT residents to always use the 112 emergency toll free number in the event of an emergency.

Meanwhile, barely 24 hours after the incident, another fertiliser-laden truck has collapsed on the same spot.

The Tide learnt that the incidence occurred at about 3:54pm yesterday.

The Head of Public Affairs of the FCT Emergency Management Department, Nkechi Isa, confirmed the accident in a statement, stating that the truck collided with a Hijet and a dump truck, adding that no life was lost.

She cautioned road users to drive with caution as the Federal Road Safety Corps was making efforts to tow away the affected vehicles, to avoid traffic built up.

“Another accident has occurred under Karu bridge along the Abuja-Keffi Expressway. Thankfully, no life was lost to the incident. Our Search and Rescue say the accident occurred when a truck laden with fertilizer ran into a Hijet and a dump truck also known as tipper.

“Motorists are advised to drive with caution as the Federal Road Safety Corps is taking steps to tow away the affected vehicles in order to avoid traffic built up,” the statement read.

Meanwhile, several videos showed some persons trying to clear the fertiliser bags from the fallen truck to ease traffic.

 

Trending

Exit mobile version