News
FG Dismisses Reuter’s Abortion Report Against Military As Fake
The Federal Government has said that the Reuter’s report that Nigerian military conducted secret mass abortion programme in war against Boko Haram was fake news, disinformation, and a ploy to demoralise and distract the fighting forces.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, said this at the 10th edition of the (PMB) Administration Scorecard Series (2015-2023) in Abuja, yesterday.
Reuters, in the report, had said since 2013, the Nigerian military conducted a secret and illegal abortion programme in the North-East, ending at least 10,000 pregnancies among women and girls.
But Mohammed said the report was also a strategy to set the world against Nigeria and cut off the support that was critical to crushing terrorists.
The minister said the news agency made the allegation without a scintilla of evidence, citing only anonymous sources and the reported review of phantom ‘documents’.
He said: “The agency claimed that its investigation was based on interviews with 33 women and girls.
“How do they use interview with 33 women and girls to arrive at the bogus claim of 10,000 abortions?
“And in a further indication that the figure of abortions quoted was arbitrary or possibly conjured, the agency first put the figure at 12,000 before settling for 10,000.”
Mohammed reiterated the Federal Government’s position that there was no “secret, systematic, and illegal abortion programme” being run by the military in the North-East or anywhere across the country.
He queried the basis for the so-called investigation at a time the military had been recording successes decimating the terrorists and rescuing abducted persons.
The minister further queried the basis for the story when the military had been receiving hundreds of thousands of terrorists who have surrendered.
According to the minister, in 2022 alone, the Nigerian military rescued 11 Chibok girls with all their children, 2,018 other persons (comprising 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1019 children).
He said 82,645 persons, comprising 16,621 male fighters, 24,638 women, and 41,386 children, have surrendered.
Mohammed said the military had also neutralised 494 terrorists, excluding terrorists neutralised through airstrikes and terrorists’ infighting.
“Why is this news agency not playing up these positive news but instead chose to give prominence to a phantom abortion story?”, minister added.
Mohammed said the Federal Government has given its military a clean bill of health over the allegations, stressing that they had served meritoriously at home, and at regional and global peacekeeping operations from 1960 to date.
“We know that military operations in the North-East are not arbitrary but based on the military’s Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and Rules of Engagement (ROE), among others.
“Where any proven infraction or criminal act has been committed by anysoldier, the law hasalways taken its course.
“But it is beyond the pale and downright dangerous to accuse a nation’s military, without any verifiable evidence, of massive illegal abortions and infanticide,” he said.
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Sports2 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports5 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business5 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured5 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports5 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports5 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports5 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
-
News5 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
