Nation
Nasarawa Broadcasting Service Gets N1.5bn Upgrade Boost
Nasarawa State Commissioner for Information, Mr Lawal Yakubu, says N1.5 billion had been approved for the upgrading of the State Broadcasting Service (NBS) for effective service delivery.
Disclosing this during the ministry’s 2023 Budget defence at the State House of Assembly on Wednesday in Lafia, The State Capital, the Commissioner said the approval was given by the State Governor, Abdullahi Sule, to make NBS compete favourably with other broadcasting stations within and outside the country.
He commended the committee for supporting the activities of the ministry to succeed.
“Most of the facilities in NBS are obsolete and need to be upgraded
“His Excellency, Governor Abdullahi Sule, has approved N1.5 billion for the purchase of digital equipment as well as the upgrading of the NBS for effective service delivery,” he said.
The Commissioner also commended the Governor for his attention to the ministry and NBS, to enable them to discharge their duties effectively.
Chairman, House Committee on Information, Mr Mohammed Omadefu, said the committee decided to invite the ministry to defend its 2023 Budget in line with constitutional provisions.
“And we want to assure you of our support to enable you succeed at all times,” he said.
Omadefu called for the return of all recreation centres and parks under the ministry’s control, based on the law establishing the ministry.
“This committee is worried by the way some recreational centres and other facilities that are supposed to be controlled or handled by Ministry of Information are being controlled by other agencies or offices.
“We urge such agencies or offices to respect the law by making sure that the Ministry of Information controls and handles hotels, Lafia Square, City Hall, among other facilities, in the interest of peace and respect for the law.
“The ministry is to ensure that it takes over all facilities under it,” he said.
Also before the committee was the management of Nasarawa Broadcasting Service (NBS), led by its Executive Vice Chairman, Mallam Auwalu Salihu, who appreciated the committee for its efforts in ensuring development of the station.
Nation
RSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Hold Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
Rivers State University and the Otonti Nduka Foundation for Values Education jointly hosted a two-day National Conference on 8 and 9 May 2026 to examine the state of values in Nigeria.
The two days conference held at Rivers State University convocation arena brought together academics, policymakers, legal experts and education leaders under the theme _“Trends and Challenges in Upholding Values in Nigeria.”_
The gathering focused on policy gaps, curriculum reform, and the role of ethics in public service and education.
The event opened on Friday with remarks from Vice Chancellor Prof. Chief Isaac Zeb-Obipi, who stressed the need to address declining moral and civic values across Nigeria’s education and public sectors. A book of abstracts for the plenary sessions was also presented to participants.
Key speakers included former Attorney General Chief Dr Kanu Agabi, SAN; NERDC Executive Secretary Prof. Shehu Salisu; Prof. Hauwa Imam, FNAE, of the University of Abuja; former Rivers SUBEB Chairman Ven Dr Fyneface Akah, ; former NIMASA DG Dr Hon. Dakuku Adol-Peterside; and RSU Director of ICT Prof. Sunny Orike.
Discussions centered on integrating values education into schools, tertiary institutions and public institutions, alongside the impact of technology on moral development among young Nigerians. Panel and plenary sessions produced practical recommendations for curriculum and policy reform.
On Saturday, the foundation marked its centenary with the unveiling of the book _Otonti Nduka in History_, launched by Chief Engr. Grant Offor, FNSE. The Nigerian Academy of Education held a ceremonial procession led by its President Prof. Olu Jegede and the Ikwerre Professors Forum.
In a communiqué, participants called for stronger collaboration between government, civil society and academia to mainstream values education nationwide. They recommended reviewing teacher training curricula and expanding digital platforms to promote ethical civic engagement, with the foundation pledging to share the outcomes with education authorities for implementation.
Dignitaries present included Ogbakor Ikwerre Worldwide as Chief Host, Prof. Emeritus Chief T. Uzodimma Nwala, the Ikenga 1 of Mbaise and first philosophy student of the late Prof. Otonti Nduka, alongside scholars and community leaders.
Nation
Rivers Deputy Governor Hails PH City One Love For Humanitarian Gesture
Rivers state Deputy Governor Professor Ngozi Nma Odu has commended “The Port Harcourt City One Love,”a Port Harcourt based humanitarian orgnisation For it’s commitment towards alleviating the sufferings of the poor and vulnerable in the society.
Professor Ngozi Nma Odu said this while speaking at this year’s edition of “operation feed the needy” a yearly outreach program of “The Port Harcourt City One Love ” in Port Harcourt.
The Deputy Governor said by feeding more than sixty thousands hungry people within the past six years, the Port Harcourt City One Love Movement has distinguished itself as a club that cares for the less privilege in the society.
She commended the , organization for listing eleven thousand persons to be fed in the current exercise.
Meanwhile The Port Harcourt City One Love has planned a permanent solution to the problem of feeding the poor in the state.
The leader of the group Mr Idaere Gogo Ogan who said this in an interview with newsmen during the distribution of food items to the poor and vulnerables in Port Harcourt said the organization is planning a permanent food kitchen where poor and vulnerable persons can work in anytime and get fed.
Idaere Gogo Ogan said more than sixty thousands poor and vulnerable persons across Port Harcourt City and environs have been fed since the inception of “The operation feed the needy” program six years ago,adding that so far sixty thousands poor and vulnerable persons have beneffited.
He described the group as a platform to promote friendship, brotherhood, community development empathy and feeding the less privilege and hungry people
“That’s what we are doing today here,so we started the exercise six years ago”.he said.
Ogan said the effort was a private sector driven initiative but added “it also involves people in Government because the platform does not recognize any division,we bring everybody together in unity , friendship and brotherhood”he said.
He said the effort will go along way in alleviating hunger especially following the prevailing hunger in the country.
According to him “you know the country is very tough, people are hungry people are starving, there is a whole lot of economic hardship,so for us, this is just our own way of reaching out, our own social contribution to what is very difficult”he said.
Over eleven thousand persons were fed in the just concluded exercise.
Areas of coverage include, Isaac Boro park, Port Harcourt prison/Macoba, Borokiri/Enugu waterside Bundu areas Waterlines and others.
Some of the beneficiaries including an 80 years old widow commended the movement for the annual programm and urged other organizations to emulate them
John Bibor,/Esuuk Oyet/Suotor Memoye /Jeremiah Hannah
Nation
We’ll Partner Private Sector to Industrialize Rivers State – Fubara …Hints Revitalization of Ahoada, Trans Amadi Industrial layout
-
Environment5 hours agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
Maritime7 hours agoProducts, Others, To Arrive Lagos Ports Today — MPA
-
Environment5 hours agoNEWSAN Urges Investment For Water And Sanitation services
-
Oil & Energy6 hours agoSEED: FG To Train 6,000 Energy Professionals
-
Environment5 hours agoNGOs Task Media On Investing In Climate Literacy
-
Education4 hours agoUNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
-
Politics5 hours ago
Primaries: Diri Lauds APC’s Unity, Cohesion In Bayelsa
-
Maritime7 hours agoLagos Records Major Gains In Road, Rail, Water Transport —Osiyemi
