Connect with us

Sports

Disu Wants Pinnick, Others To Be Disqualified For NFF Elections

Published

on

Former Nigeria defender, Tajudeen Disu, says all members of the current board of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), lack the moral standing to contest any position in the election scheduled for September.
Disu, who is also the chairman of the Players Welfare Committee of the Professional Footballers Association of Nigeria, said this during an interview with Tidesports source in reaction to reports of NFF President, Amaju Pinnick and some notable members of the current board expressing their interest to run as president.
His reaction is hinged, especially on the desire of League Management Company (LMC) chairman, Shehu Dikko, who is confident of succeeding Pinnick as president of the body and is gearing up his campaign.
Buttressing the opinion severally harped on by the players’ body, Disu said the current NFF board has done a lot of damage to Nigerian football in all ramifications and will be sent packing in September at the polls.
“I just got a report stating Shehu Dikko has stepped up his NFF Presidential campaign and sounds confident of succeeding Amaju Pinnick. How can someone who has completely destroyed our league be considering becoming President of the NFF?
“I appeal to the federal government to disqualify Dikko and the other six executive members of the NFF alongside Amaju Pinnick because they are birds of the same feather,” Disu stated.
He continues: “Allowing any of them to contest is as good as enhancing Pinnick’s third term in office because they are working together.
“Members of the current board don’t know what is coming. They will all be swept away at the polls in September. People who know the game inside out will come on board so that Nigerian football can breathe again.
“The players’ bloc is ready to wrest leadership of Nigerian football from them, and we are serious about this. The era of manipulating elections is over, and the upcoming election in September will be the turning point.
“I am glad five reputable ex-footballers are in the race, and the ex-players will work as a unit to ensure that Nigerian football leaves the woods.”
There are unconfirmed reports that Pinnick will attempt to secure a third term, despite earlier making it clear he would not be running. He is likely run against the First Vice President, Seyi Akinwunmi, and Zamfara FA Chairman, Ibrahim Gusau at the polls.
Jonathan Akpoborie, Benedict Akwuegbu, Peterside Idah, Paul Yusuf, and Kenneth Boardman are the ex-internationals contesting the position of president.
No ex-international has occupied the position since its inception, and the players’ bloc is fervently seeking a change in the direction of the pendulum.
The Tidesports source recall that the Super Eagles failed to qualify for Qatar 2022 World Cup, losing the ticket to Ghana in Abuja, while the Super Falcons surrendered their African title in an embarrassing matter at the just concluded African Women’s Nations Cup in Morocco. All Nigerian Clubs have become a laughing stock in CAF competitions. There were reports yesterday that CAF has dismissed Pinnick’s alleged bid to co-host the 2025 African Nations Cup with Benin Republic.
Pinnick was said to have announced on Tuesday that he had informed CAF Executives via a room meeting of Nigeria’s interest to co-host alongside Benin, with several media reports suggesting that the event could be moved from troubled Guinea.

Continue Reading

Sports

Amusan places third in Diamond League opener

Published

on

World record holder Tobi Amusan finished third in the women’s 100m hurdles as the 2026 Diamond League season opened in Shanghai on Saturday, Tidesports source reports.

The Nigerian, who arrived in China fresh from winning gold at the African Senior Athletics Championships in Ghana earlier on Wednesday, clocked a season’s best of 12.41s behind Olympic champion Masai Russell and Bahamian star Devynne Charlton.

Russell produced a dominant display to win the race in a meeting record and world-leading time of 12.25s, improving on her previous world lead of 12.40s.

Charlton, the reigning world indoor champion, finished second in 12.38s in one of her strongest outdoor performances to date.

Amusan, whose world record of 12.12s remains the fastest time ever run in the event, improved significantly from her previous season’s best of 12.84s set during her victorious outing at the African Championships in Accra.

The 29-year-old was competing in a stacked field that included reigning world champion Ditaji Kambundji of Switzerland, Jamaican pair Megan Simmonds and Ackera Nugent, China’s Wu Yanni and Americans Tonea Marshall and Danielle Williams.

Kambundji, who won the world title in Tokyo last year with a Swiss record 12.24s, finished fifth in 12.82s, while Jamaica’s Nugent placed sixth in 12.98s.

Marshall and Williams failed to finish the race.

Following Amusan’s victory in Accra, the three-time Diamond League final winner expressed gratitude to her supporters while insisting she remained determined to achieve more success this season.

“Beyond grateful to God, my team, supporters, and everyone who continues to believe in me through every season. Historic feeling. Still hungry for more. The mission continues,”

Continue Reading

Sports

Falcons To Tackle Senegal in Pre-WAFCON friendly

Published

on

Nigeria’s Super Falcons will face Senegal in a double-header international friendly during the June FIFA women’s international window as the African champions step up preparations for the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations, Tidesports source reports. 

The 10-time African champions are scheduled to take on the Teranga Lionesses on June 5 and 8 at the Remo Stars Stadium in Ikenne, Ogun State, in what will form a key part of their build-up to July’s continental tournament.

The fixtures were confirmed on social media platform X by Super Falcons Show, which announced the details of the encounter and venue.

“Nigeria’s senior women’s national team, the Super Falcons, will take on Senegal Women’s National Team in a double-header international friendly scheduled for June 5 and 8,” the post read.

“Both matches will be played in Ikenne, Nigeria.”

The friendlies come after Nigeria’s proposed training tour of the United Kingdom, which included a planned match against Jamaica, was cancelled due to scheduling complications linked to FIFA’s official women’s international window. The timing meant clubs would not have been obliged to release players.

With that tour shelved, the Senegal fixtures now offer a timely opportunity for coach Justine Madugu and his technical team to assess squad options, test tactical systems and strengthen team cohesion ahead of the WAFCON campaign and longer-term qualification targets for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil.

Senegal are expected to provide a competitive regional test, with their physical style and disciplined organisation likely to offer Nigeria a different tactical challenge across both matches.

The Super Falcons, who have dominated African women’s football for decades, will be aiming to use the double-header to fine-tune preparations as they pursue another continental title in Morocco next year.

Continue Reading

Sports

Okpekpe Road Race Unveils Partners, Appoints Dr. Bojuwoye

Published

on

The organisers of the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race have announced the appointment of Dr Adebukola Bojuwoye as the head of the medical unit for the 11th edition of the prestigious event, scheduled for Saturday, May 30, in Okpekpe, Etsako East Local Government Area of Edo State.

Dr Bojuwoye, a seasoned medical professional with extensive experience in road running events across Nigeria, is expected to bring added value to the race through his expertise.

As medical director, his responsibilities will include overseeing emergency medical response, coordinating first aid stations along the course, ensuring athlete safety, and supervising medical volunteers and paramedics.

His role is critical in safeguarding the health of both elite and recreational runners, as well as spectators.

In addition to unveiling its new medical director, the organisers also announced five corporate partners for the 2026 edition.

The Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN), Petralon Energy, Razzl Drink, Dan Oil, and Carloha Motors have joined as sponsors, reflecting the race’s growing appeal across diverse sectors of the Nigerian economy.

The Okpekpe race, organised by Pamodzi Sports Marketing Company, has steadily risen in prominence since becoming the first road race in Nigeria to earn World Athletics label status in 2015.

It has since advanced to Gold Label Race status, attracting elite athletes from around the world and cementing its reputation as one of Africa’s benchmark road-running competitions.

Edo State, under the leadership of Governor Monday Okpebolo, has reaffirmed its commitment to supporting the race, citing its role in promoting tourism, community pride, and international recognition for the region.

Race Director Zack Amodu noted that the new partnerships underscore the event’s stature and its impact beyond sport.

We are delighted to welcome DBN, Petralon, Razzl, and Carloha Motors as partners for the 11th edition. Their support, alongside the backing of Edo State, not only strengthens the race but also reinforces its role as a platform for promoting excellence, youth empowerment, and community development,’ Amodu said.

Beyond its sporting significance, the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race has become a catalyst for social, health, and economic benefits.

It encourages fitness and healthy lifestyles, fosters social cohesion by bringing communities together, and generates economic activity through tourism, hospitality, and local commerce.

The event also showcases Edo State’s cultural vibrancy while contributing to Nigeria’s growing reputation in global athletics.

The 11th edition is expected to draw elite athletes, local participants, and international attention, further consolidating Nigeria’s place on the global athletics calendar.

Continue Reading

Trending