Nation
Tambuwal Wants FG To Declare State Of Emergency On Banditry
Governor Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto State says declaration of a state of emergency on banditry would enable security operatives access to clear bandits’ enclaves and other hideouts.
Tambuwal made the suggestion on Wednesday in Sokoto when he received a delegation of the Northwest States Governors Forum.
The delegation was led by Governor Aminu Masari of Katsina State on a condolence visit over the killing of 23 travellers in Sokoto State by bandits.
He appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to declare the state of emergency so as to give security operatives additional operational laws to ensure maximum successes in their operations.
Tambuwal said such declaration would allow operatives to work without concerns about rights violations as the bandits were enemies of humanity.
“Bandits have no religious, ideological or ethnicity inclinations; they were notorious criminals terrorising law-abiding citizens,’’ he said.
He added that the federal government should initiate processes for recruiting locals in the areas affected by banditry to complement efforts of mainstream security personnel to tackle the menace.
“The recruited persons shall serve as special forces equipped with right skills and modern firearms to confront bandits since the locals know the terrains.
“After the special mission, the recruited persons could be re-engaged as forest guards to prevent new security challenges.
“In Sokoto State, we outlawed the self-styled vanguards referred at `Yansakai’ whose activities of extra-judicious killings led to reprisals and escalation of the situation,’’ he said.
The governor added that legitimate vigilance groups were being trained and teamed with mainstream security operatives to support the latter’s activities.
“All hands must be on deck to check banditry and to support President Buhari at all levels to contain the situation.
“This situation calls for specialised approach with holistic support from community groups, religious leaders and other individuals to tackle,’’ Tambuwal stressed.
He urged the citizenry to expose people supporting banditry in any form, especially the informants.
He also expressed appreciation of the governors forum for the solidarity visit and the donation of N50 million to support affected families.
Earlier, Gov. Masari said the visit was to commiserate with Tambuwal over the unfortunate attacks and the loss of lives.
He noted that states in the northwest are faced with similar challenge and that the governors had been collaborating to tackle banditry.
Masari stressed also that it was time citizens and communities stood up to protect themselves.
“Bandits behave worse than animals in view of the atrocities they perpetrate; people need to protect themselves.
“Police and other security personnel are inadequate, so we shall not wait for those barbaric bandits to maim and kill people at random.
“We shall confront them and deal with them the way they are supposed to be dealt with.
“It is no longer a blame game, rather we shall shun political differences to support authorities on containing the situation,’’ Masari said.
In his remarks, Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State called for the deployment of scientific techniques in forest surveillance as forests remained the hideouts of the bandits.
Ganduje said communal approaches to solving the situation was paramount considering the loss of lives and valuables to banditry in the country.
It would be recalls that on Dec. 6, in Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State, bandits set 23 passengers ablaze in a bus.
Nation
Rivers Deputy Governor Hails PH City One Love For Humanitarian Gesture
Rivers state Deputy Governor Professor Ngozi Nma Odu has commended “The Port Harcourt City One Love,”a Port Harcourt based humanitarian orgnisation For it’s commitment towards alleviating the sufferings of the poor and vulnerable in the society.
Professor Ngozi Nma Odu said this while speaking at this year’s edition of “operation feed the needy” a yearly outreach program of “The Port Harcourt City One Love ” in Port Harcourt.
The Deputy Governor said by feeding more than sixty thousands hungry people within the past six years, the Port Harcourt City One Love Movement has distinguished itself as a club that cares for the less privilege in the society.
She commended the , organization for listing eleven thousand persons to be fed in the current exercise.
Meanwhile The Port Harcourt City One Love has planned a permanent solution to the problem of feeding the poor in the state.
The leader of the group Mr Idaere Gogo Ogan who said this in an interview with newsmen during the distribution of food items to the poor and vulnerables in Port Harcourt said the organization is planning a permanent food kitchen where poor and vulnerable persons can work in anytime and get fed.
Idaere Gogo Ogan said more than sixty thousands poor and vulnerable persons across Port Harcourt City and environs have been fed since the inception of “The operation feed the needy” program six years ago,adding that so far sixty thousands poor and vulnerable persons have beneffited.
He described the group as a platform to promote friendship, brotherhood, community development empathy and feeding the less privilege and hungry people
“That’s what we are doing today here,so we started the exercise six years ago”.he said.
Ogan said the effort was a private sector driven initiative but added “it also involves people in Government because the platform does not recognize any division,we bring everybody together in unity , friendship and brotherhood”he said.
He said the effort will go along way in alleviating hunger especially following the prevailing hunger in the country.
According to him “you know the country is very tough, people are hungry people are starving, there is a whole lot of economic hardship,so for us, this is just our own way of reaching out, our own social contribution to what is very difficult”he said.
Over eleven thousand persons were fed in the just concluded exercise.
Areas of coverage include, Isaac Boro park, Port Harcourt prison/Macoba, Borokiri/Enugu waterside Bundu areas Waterlines and others.
Some of the beneficiaries including an 80 years old widow commended the movement for the annual programm and urged other organizations to emulate them
John Bibor,/Esuuk Oyet/Suotor Memoye /Jeremiah Hannah
Nation
We’ll Partner Private Sector to Industrialize Rivers State – Fubara …Hints Revitalization of Ahoada, Trans Amadi Industrial layout
Nation
SheVentures Open Zero-interest Loan Applications for Women Entrepreneurs
“Inclusive growth requires access to capital and the right conditions for businesses to deploy that capital effectively. Women-led enterprises are critical to economic activity, yet they face structural barriers.
“This intervention aims to help close that gap by providing financing that supports job creation, business expansion, and long-term sustainability for women entrepreneurs”, Edun said.
Group Head, SheVentures and Impact Segments at First City Monument Bank (FCMB), Nnenna Jacob-Ogogo said access to affordable finance remains a major constraint for women entrepreneurs.
-
Featured5 days agoWASSCE: RSG Distributes Science Materials To Secondary Schools
-
News5 days ago
Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerian Lives More Important Than Foreign Investment – Oshiomhole
-
Rivers5 days ago
MBA Forex Trial Adjourn To June 3, Amid Bereavement … As Court Declines Cost Application
-
News5 days ago
ActionAid Demands Probe Of Govs Using Public Funds For Campaign
-
Aviation5 days ago
Passengers Stranded As Delta Airline From Atlanta Route Back Eight Hours After
-
Business5 days ago
Customs Impound N2.35bn Cocaine, 15 Trailers of Rice
-
Politics5 days ago
2027: Bayelsa Senator Gets Critical Endorsement For Second Term
-
Politics5 days agoINEC Sets Rivers South-East Senatorial By-Election For June 20
