News
Buhari Not Happy With Your Activities, New NDDC Boss Tells N’Delta Youths
A rights group based in the Niger Delta, Vanguard for Defence of Justice and Good Governance (VDJGG) has reacted ferociously to the unwarranted attack on Justice Mary Odili over her role in the Supreme Court judgment in the Bayelsa State governorship election, last year, describing the act as shameful and unacceptable.
In a statement, made available to The Tide in Port Harcourt, yesterday, the group said, “Ordinarily, we would not have bothered ourselves to dignify the barbaric act of some misguided miscreants and merchants of disintegration paid by some unscrupulous persons to mete out an unwarranted attack on the person of Justice Mary Odili, head of the 5-man justices that ruled on the case of the Bayelsa State APC governorship-elect and his deputy in the judgment of February 13.
“Our findings show that the irate APC youths who attacked Mary Odili’s Abuja home, claimed that the judgment was influenced by the fact that Justice Mary’s husband, Dr. Peter Odili, former governor of Rivers State and one-time presidential aspirant on the platform of the PDP, was the principled reason why the judgment went against the APC.
“Nothing could be more misplaced than this misconception. It will be recalled that Dr. Peter Odili was still in PDP when his dear wife, Justice Mary Odili wrote and read the lead judgments that upturned the election petitions of Lagos, Kaduna, Nasarawa and Katsina states which were all won by the APC.
“Our question is: where were these irredentist attackers when all of the above judgments happened under Justice Mary Odili’s watch! It is very unfortunate that a certain stalwart of the ruling APC had stocked the pile of crisis when he said nobody would be sworn in as governor of Bayelsa state despite the Supreme Court ruling. Hours later, a heinous attack was unleashed on government institutions by miscreants.
“Few days later, this same APC leader made an unsubstantiated and unfounded claim that billions of naira was paid by the PDP to upturn justice against the APC in the February 13 judgment. In a sane clime, this APC leader, irrespective of his public standing should have been arrested to divulge the source/s of such humongous allegations which, with all intents and purposes, ignited the attacks on Justice Mary Odili”, the rights group added.
Also reacting, the immediate past governor of Bayelsa State, Hon Seriake Dickson, condemned, in strong terms, the sponsored demonstrations in the Abuja and Port Harcourt residences of Justice Mary Odilli.
The former governor called on the Federal Government to fortify security around judges, especially those involved the Supreme Court verdict on Bayelsa governorship election.
The former governor, in a statement by his media aide, Mr Fidelis Soriwei, yesterday, described the protests and the sponsors as reprehensible, crude, barbaric and most condemnable.
He said that the protesters at the residence of Justice Odilli should be made to realise that Nigeria, a society under the rule of law, has no place for such a sickening desecration of the rule of law at this age.
Dickson urged all Nigerians of good conscience to condemn the brazen attempt to arm-twist and even bring the Judiciary, especially the Supreme Court to needless opprobrium.
The former governor said that the placards carried by the sponsored protesters and thugs of the APC were a gnawing anathema to civilized conduct.
The former governor said that the provocative remarks and lack of restraints on the part of the APC ignited violence which led to the destruction of property worth millions of naira.
He said that the APC thugs attacked and damaged his residence at Opolo, the residence of Governor Douye Diri, the Steve Azaiki Library, the secretariat of the People’s Democratic Party apart from cars and property belonging to PDP supporters that were destroyed.
Dickson called on the police and other security agencies to ensure that those who carried out the assault on the law, peace and stability of the state are brought to justice.
“We have noted the distressing display of crude conduct by the sponsored thugs and protesters of the APC in their response to the judgment of the Supreme Court.
“I condemn in the possible strongest terms, the demonstration in the Abuja and Port Harcourt residences of Justice Mary Odili. The protesters and their sponsors must be told in clear and unmistakable terms that their action is reprehensible and condemnable.
“We are a country with respect for the rule of law and respect for our judicial officers. The sponsors of the protesters in Abuja and Port Harcourt and the APC hoodlums who took to the streets in Yenagoa to unleash mayhem, destroying properties of PDP supporters including my residence must be made to realise that we are in a democracy.”
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports1 day ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports4 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
