News
UK Confirms Killing Of Citizen In Kaduna
A British national, Faye Mooney, was among the victims of the attack on Kajuru Castle in Kaduna last Friday by unknown gunmen who also abducted three others.
The victims were said to have travelled from Lagos to have some fun at the resort when they were attacked around 11pm.
Mooney, who worked with a non-governmental organisation, Mercy Corps, was killed alongside Mathew Oguche, a staff member of an international NGO, Safety Organisation.
The British High Commission in a statement by the Head of Communications, Policy and Corporate Lead, Department for International Development, David Smith, in Abuja yesterday, explained that the deceased Briton’s next-of-kin had been notified.
The commission stated that it was offering consular assistance to her family while also engaging with the Nigerian authorities on the incident.
While offering its sympathies and condolences to the family and friends of the victims of the attack, the Mission said it would not comment or speculate on the motive or nature of the attack ‘at this time.’
The statement said, “The British High Commission is aware of an incident involving the death of a British national and a Nigerian national in Kaduna State, late on Friday evening.
“Mooney was killed on Friday, 19 April, 2019 in an attack at Kajuru Castle, near Kaduna, alongside a Nigerian national, Oguche.
“ Mooney was employed in Nigeria with the NGO, Mercy Corps. Oguche worked for the International NGO Safety Organisation.
“Her next-of-kin has been notified and we are offering consular assistance to her family. We are engaging with the Nigerian authorities, and we understand an investigation is underway.”
Meanwhile, the Senator representing Kaduna Central at the Senate, Shehu Sani, has warned tourists and any adventurer thinking of visiting Kaduna, to stay away, at least, for now.
He said his advice was based on the observation that gunmen who have laid siege in the state meant business.
Sani made this known via his verified Twitter handle @ShehuSani, yesterday; just as the Kaduna State Government announced its partnership with the World Bank Group and the Rockefeller Foundation to launch what it called @ClickOnKaduna — a set of digital programmes designed to train youths aged 18-40 including women and disadvantaged groups with digital skills and digital entrepreneurship skills.
Sani had tweeted: “All those una wey wan come up here do tourism, escortion (excursion) or sight-seeing, make una chill, this gunmen no dey joke, life no get double.”
It would be recalled that last Saturday, two people were shot dead by persons suspected to be terrorists, while three others were abducted during a social gathering at Kajuru Castle, a popular resort in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna.
The Kaduna State Police Command, yesterday, said one of the persons killed at Kajuru Castle was a British female expatriate, and identified her as Miss Faye Mooney.
The state Command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Yakubu Sabo, who revealed this, said efforts were ongoing to safely recover those kidnapped and get the suspects arrested.
Earlier yesterday, the Kaduna State Police Command had said it had restored law and order on Nnamdi Azikiwe Expressway after irate youths blocked the bypass over an alleged overnight kidnapping in Kaduna.
At about 1:00 a.m., suspected gunmen stormed Rariya community near Kabala and allegedly kidnapped some people, leading to protests over the incident.
A resident, Abubakar Ladan, alleged that three women, a teenager and a man were kidnapped.
The Command Public Relations Officer, DSP Yakubu Sabo, confirmed the incident.
Sabo said when the incident was reported to the Divisional Police Officer, he led a team of personnel to the area for rescue.
“When they went there, the suspected kidnappers had run away.
“Instead of the people to give Police cooperation to see how to address the issue, they decided to protest and block the highway,” he said.
He explained that blocking of a highway was wrong because “this highway is connecting many states of the federation.”
He added that the protesters also went to Police Station and attempted to burn it; saying, despite all the measures to pacify them to understand the civil obligation on them, they refused.
He added that to ensure public order and safety, “we used minimum force to disperse them.
“They decided to stone the security agencies, apart from lamentation and insults.”
He disclosed that the ring leader of the protest had been arrested.
The residents protested against alleged police delay and inaction while the incident was going on.
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Sports5 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Politics5 days ago
ADC, PDP, LP Missing As INEC Set For By- Elections In Rivers
-
Environment5 days agoOxfam, partners celebrate 5 years of climate governance programmes in Nigeria
-
Politics5 days ago
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
-
News4 days agoVictory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
-
Politics5 days ago2027: Diri Unveils RHA LG Coordinators, APC Congress Panel
-
Politics5 days agoReps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
-
Politics5 days agoGroup Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
