Education
Expert Tasks FG On Post-UTME Charges
Renowned technologist and Chief Executive Officer of Prime-Cline Holdings Limited, Asaba, Delta State, Dr Clifford Jaja has called on the Federal Government to sanction any tertiary institution that charges more than N2,000 for Post –UTME.
Jaja made the call in an interview with The Tide at the Port Harcourt International Airport, Omagwa, shortly on arrival from a Technological Submit in Pretoria, South-Africa.
According to the expert, “at the 2017 policy meeting, I suggested that any institution which was interested in conducting any form of post-UTME screening could do so, but that the gross charge for the screening should not be more that N2,000”.
As he put it, “policy meetings would continue to be the forum where the agenda, guidelines, modalities and timelines would be set for the purpose of admission to universities, polytechnics, monotechnices and colleges of education in Nigeria.
He explained that no admission in tertiary institutions should be announced before the policy meeting.
He noted that it is appreciated that the meeting should be held early enough for the commencement of the new academic session.
He said, “The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board should ensure that the policy meeting is now held not later than June every year”.
He said that outside UTME scores, that there were other assessments for consideration before a candidate could gain admission into universities.
Jaja said the marks were just minimum scores, adding that the number of candidates that were involved in examination malpractices in UTME had reduced drastically.
On the dissolution of NABTEB, Dr Jaja called on the Presidency to formally dissolve the board, saying that President Muhammadu Buhari should approve the dissolution of the government of Board of National Business and Technical Examination Board (NABTEB).
He said that the President should also direct the Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu to take drastic measures to reposition and re-direct NABTEB for greater efficiency and to render its performance more responsive to the expectations of the present leadership.
He further stated that the purported suspension to the Registrar, Prof Ifeoma Abanihe and four other directors of NABTEB had been nullified as it did not conform with due process, especially on the issue of the registrar.
Jaja maintained that the board went against its powers by contravening Section 5 and Section 6 of NABTEB Act.
It was gathered by The Tide that a special investigative panel was constituted to probe activities of the Registrar of the National Business and Technical Examinations Board (NABTEB), Prof-Ifeoma Isuigo-Abanihe and others.
The panel, we learnt allegedly uncovered irregularities in contract awards and abuse of office by the embattled registrar.
According to the report, the registrar and four directors were suspended by the 9th Governing Board of NABTEB at its first regular board meeting held on June 19, 2018 at NABTEB headquarters, Benin City, Edo State, following allegations of N49.7 million fraud.
Bethel Toby
Education
UNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
Education
Education Commissioner Seeks media collaboration in Rivers
The River State Commissioner for Education, Dr Peters Nwagor has called on media practitioners in Rivers State to deploy their various communication platforms toward promoting government programmes and policies aimed at achieving sustainable development in the education sector. Dr. Nwagor made the appeal when members of the Etche Ethnic Practicing Journalists (EEPJ) paid him a courtesy visit in Office in Port Harcourt. The Commissioner emphasized the strategic role of the media in shaping public perception, promoting government initiatives, and supporting policies capable of improving the quality of education and human capital development in the state. According to him, constructive media engagement remains essential in creating public awareness on educational reforms, students’ welfare, infrastructural improvements, and other interventions being implemented by the state government. Speaking on the recent appro
Education
IAUE holds 44th convocation May 8–9
-
Editorial1 day agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation1 day agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Politics1 day ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Environment1 day agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
Politics1 day ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
-
News2 days agoFubara, Wife Hail Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Initiative …As Over 6,800 Families Benefit From Largesse In Rivers
-
Sports1 day agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
