Sports
Mensah Wants Contract Extension At French Side
Former Sunderland defender, John Mensah has said that he is keen to get an extended run of football at French side Rennes after overcoming his injury woes.
Mensah’s career has been dogged by persistent injury that has cost him the Ghana captaincy and his place in the Black Stars squad.
Similar setbacks cost him a permanent deal at English side Sunderland and led to a contract termination at parent club Lyon last summer.
He rejoined Stade Rennes in January.
“For now I am not thinking of the national team, I know if I get to play regularly with Rennes, I could get a chance to return for Ghana”
Now, the 30-year-old is focused on breaking into the first team.
“I was a bit unlucky with injuries and spent a bit of time out of the game,” Mensah told Tidesports source in France.
“It’s difficult when you come back from a long injury; it’s very hard because you are afraid of suffering another setback.
“Sometimes I get frustrated, but what else can I do? Injury is part of football so there is nothing I can do.
“There were hard moments with the doctors and physios – but those tough days are well behind me.
“Right now I’m fully fit but I need games to regain my confidence and a place in the squad.
“It’s tough because the regular players are doing well. It hasn’t been easy but I understand how difficult it is for the manager as well.”
Mensah is now three months into a six month deal, and is hoping to extend his stay at the club he captained in 2008.
“They know what I’m capable of doing when I’m fit and on the pitch from my previous stay here,” he said.
“I got the chance to come here. I hope I’ll also get the chance to play and prove my injury days are well behind me.
Nicknamed ‘the Rock of Gibraltar’ in his native Ghana on account of his reliability in defence, and a firm favourite with the Sunderland faithful, Mensah is looking back at his best days for motivation.
“At Sunderland I put in a great performance, same at Lyon. I thank God that what I did in England is still being appreciated by the fans.
“For now I am not thinking of the national team, I know if I get to play regularly with Rennes, I could get a chance to return for Ghana.
“Some people expected me back as the captain but realistically, I need to earn my return with regular action and full fitness to be recalled.”
The former Ghana captain spent six years in Italy before moving to France in January 2006.
He played 67 games for Lyon between 2008 and 2012.
Mensah has 82 Ghana caps but did not make the squad for this year’s Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa.
Sports
Amusan places third in Diamond League opener
The Nigerian, who arrived in China fresh from winning gold at the African Senior Athletics Championships in Ghana earlier on Wednesday, clocked a season’s best of 12.41s behind Olympic champion Masai Russell and Bahamian star Devynne Charlton.
Russell produced a dominant display to win the race in a meeting record and world-leading time of 12.25s, improving on her previous world lead of 12.40s.
Charlton, the reigning world indoor champion, finished second in 12.38s in one of her strongest outdoor performances to date.
Amusan, whose world record of 12.12s remains the fastest time ever run in the event, improved significantly from her previous season’s best of 12.84s set during her victorious outing at the African Championships in Accra.
The 29-year-old was competing in a stacked field that included reigning world champion Ditaji Kambundji of Switzerland, Jamaican pair Megan Simmonds and Ackera Nugent, China’s Wu Yanni and Americans Tonea Marshall and Danielle Williams.
Kambundji, who won the world title in Tokyo last year with a Swiss record 12.24s, finished fifth in 12.82s, while Jamaica’s Nugent placed sixth in 12.98s.
Marshall and Williams failed to finish the race.
Following Amusan’s victory in Accra, the three-time Diamond League final winner expressed gratitude to her supporters while insisting she remained determined to achieve more success this season.
“Beyond grateful to God, my team, supporters, and everyone who continues to believe in me through every season. Historic feeling. Still hungry for more. The mission continues,”
Sports
Falcons To Tackle Senegal in Pre-WAFCON friendly
The 10-time African champions are scheduled to take on the Teranga Lionesses on June 5 and 8 at the Remo Stars Stadium in Ikenne, Ogun State, in what will form a key part of their build-up to July’s continental tournament.
The fixtures were confirmed on social media platform X by Super Falcons Show, which announced the details of the encounter and venue.
“Nigeria’s senior women’s national team, the Super Falcons, will take on Senegal Women’s National Team in a double-header international friendly scheduled for June 5 and 8,” the post read.
“Both matches will be played in Ikenne, Nigeria.”
The friendlies come after Nigeria’s proposed training tour of the United Kingdom, which included a planned match against Jamaica, was cancelled due to scheduling complications linked to FIFA’s official women’s international window. The timing meant clubs would not have been obliged to release players.
With that tour shelved, the Senegal fixtures now offer a timely opportunity for coach Justine Madugu and his technical team to assess squad options, test tactical systems and strengthen team cohesion ahead of the WAFCON campaign and longer-term qualification targets for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil.
Senegal are expected to provide a competitive regional test, with their physical style and disciplined organisation likely to offer Nigeria a different tactical challenge across both matches.
The Super Falcons, who have dominated African women’s football for decades, will be aiming to use the double-header to fine-tune preparations as they pursue another continental title in Morocco next year.
Sports
Okpekpe Road Race Unveils Partners, Appoints Dr. Bojuwoye
Dr Bojuwoye, a seasoned medical professional with extensive experience in road running events across Nigeria, is expected to bring added value to the race through his expertise.
As medical director, his responsibilities will include overseeing emergency medical response, coordinating first aid stations along the course, ensuring athlete safety, and supervising medical volunteers and paramedics.
His role is critical in safeguarding the health of both elite and recreational runners, as well as spectators.
In addition to unveiling its new medical director, the organisers also announced five corporate partners for the 2026 edition.
The Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN), Petralon Energy, Razzl Drink, Dan Oil, and Carloha Motors have joined as sponsors, reflecting the race’s growing appeal across diverse sectors of the Nigerian economy.
The Okpekpe race, organised by Pamodzi Sports Marketing Company, has steadily risen in prominence since becoming the first road race in Nigeria to earn World Athletics label status in 2015.
It has since advanced to Gold Label Race status, attracting elite athletes from around the world and cementing its reputation as one of Africa’s benchmark road-running competitions.
Edo State, under the leadership of Governor Monday Okpebolo, has reaffirmed its commitment to supporting the race, citing its role in promoting tourism, community pride, and international recognition for the region.
Race Director Zack Amodu noted that the new partnerships underscore the event’s stature and its impact beyond sport.
We are delighted to welcome DBN, Petralon, Razzl, and Carloha Motors as partners for the 11th edition. Their support, alongside the backing of Edo State, not only strengthens the race but also reinforces its role as a platform for promoting excellence, youth empowerment, and community development,’ Amodu said.
Beyond its sporting significance, the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race has become a catalyst for social, health, and economic benefits.
It encourages fitness and healthy lifestyles, fosters social cohesion by bringing communities together, and generates economic activity through tourism, hospitality, and local commerce.
The event also showcases Edo State’s cultural vibrancy while contributing to Nigeria’s growing reputation in global athletics.
The 11th edition is expected to draw elite athletes, local participants, and international attention, further consolidating Nigeria’s place on the global athletics calendar.
-
Editorial13 hours agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation12 hours agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Hold Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Environment14 hours agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
News17 hours agoFubara, Wife Hail Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Initiative …As Over 6,800 Families Benefit From Largesse In Rivers
-
Oil & Energy12 hours agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Maritime15 hours agoProducts, Others, To Arrive Lagos Ports Today — MPA
-
Politics14 hours ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Education13 hours agoUNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
