Editorial
Bomb Factory Discovery: Not Yet Uhuru
The prevailing state of insecurity rocking Nigeria, as worrisome as it portends, has elicited so much security concerns within the citizenry, that even the presidency, the nation’s seat of power had resolved to adopt a module approach to address the challenge, which from all indications, appear to virtually overwhelm our security operatives.
Acknowledging the security challenge in Nigeria, lately, the president, Dr Goodluck Jonathan, in an interactive session with the media in Abuja, penultimate Monday confirmed that the National Council of State (NCS) and National Security Council (NSC) in collaboration with other security agencies meet every other week to review the security situation in the country with a view to finding lasting solution to the cankerworm.
Indeed, the president’s concern, seen in security circles as a case of clear and present danger to our national unity, security and co-existence constitutes a serious security challenge which requires all well-meaning Nigerians and foreigners to collectively battle the menace currently posed by subversive elements.
We recall, and sadly too, that the insecurity prevalent today was largely occasioned by sporadic bombings of strategic and sensitive public places, namely, Eagle Square, Police Headquarters, military barracks, police stations and lately the United Nations (UN) House in Abuja.Only recently, the State Security Service (SSS) uncovered a bomb manufacturing factory near Suleja, Niger State where explosives are produced, apparently for use by the dreaded Boko Haram Islamist sect.
According to SSS, a Nigerian bomber-suspect, arrested last month in Abuja, after thorough interrogation gave clues to the discovery of the bomb factory used for assemblage of improvised explosive devices for terrorist bombings. Other suspects arrested by men of the SSS, also reportedly confirmed their membership of the Boko Haram group, and confessed their involvement in most of the bombings in Suleja and Abuja.
On the contrary, however, the Niger State Governor, Dr Mua’azu Babangida Aliyu debunked SSS claim of discovering a bomb factory in his state, and challenged the security operatives to substantiate their discovery.
While the controversy rages between SSS and Governor Mua’zu over the authencity of the bomb-making factory, The Tide believes that the security challenge facing the country now must not be treated with kid’s gloves.
The nation’s security apparatus must go beyond just discovering a bomb making factory but go further to fish out all the suspects and their masterminds. And beyond the Suleja episode, our security agencies must comb all parts of the country, especially the north, where most of the blasts had occurred so far.
We say this because, the discovery in Suleja may just be a tip of the iceberg as there may be other outlets scattered across the country, which the Boko Haram can easily access for their heinous crimes.
The Tide therefore urges the SSS and other security operatives to extend their dragnets and uncover more of such illegal explosive outlets. We feel strongly that the SSS feat is not yet uhuru because Nigerians and, indeed, the International Community were yet to know the Boko Haram boys, their mentors and financiers.
It is only when the miscreants are all arrested and prosecuted accordingly, for the mayhem they unleashed on innocent and law-abiding citizens that we can say, the security challenges stirring us in the face currently will become a thing of the past and our security will be said to be efficient and vibrant.
The bottomline however remains the fact that our security agencies can be said to be effective if, and only if, the citizenry are willing and co-operative to the extent of being their brothers’ (and sisters’ too) keepers through round-the-clock vigilance of their neighbourhood.
Security in any society is usually not the sole responsibility of security agencies alone, but that of all. This, we say without equivocation, is the only way forward.
Editorial
Checkmating ‘One-Chance’ Menaces In PH
Editorial
That Oshiomhole’s Call On FG’s Road Projects
There are moments in the life of a legislature when plain speaking becomes a public service. Senator Adams Oshiomhole provided such a moment on the floor of the Senate when he accused the Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, of manifestly neglecting critical federal arteries in Edo and Delta States, and implored his colleagues to prevail on the Minister to adopt a more equitable and genuinely national approach to road infrastructure delivery. It was blunt, it was uncomfortable, and it was necessary.
The specifics of his complaint deserve restating. Drawing attention to the recent approval of some 20 new road projects despite the parlous state of existing ones, the former Edo State governor lamented that Nigerians cannot travel from Benin to Warri, Benin to Asaba, Benin to Auchi, or Auchi to Okene without encountering severe distress. He alleged a deliberate omission of these corridors from the national budget in the last three years, save for palliative interventions directed by President Bola Tinubu through tax credit arrangements. His question — “What have we done wrong?” — resonates far beyond the chambers of the National Assembly.
We lend our full and unequivocal support to that call. The Auchi-Benin Road, for instance, has been in a deplorable and near-impassable condition for several years, turning what should be a two-hour journey into an all-day ordeal of broken axles, extortionate fares, and despondent commuters. The media have, on multiple occasions, chronicled the suffering of motorists, traders, and students who ply that route. To describe it as a federal road today is to stretch the meaning of the term beyond recognition.
This pattern of sidelining is not confined to Edo or Delta. Even here in Rivers State, the disposition of the Federal Ministry of Works has left much to be desired, particularly along the Eleme axis of the East-West Road. That road, which ought to be a flagship of federal presence in the Niger Delta, has remained in a wretched state for long. Those who use it daily — workers at the Eleme Petrochemical Complex, the two refineries, Onne Port, and the countless ancillary industries — can attest to its deterioration. Work has proceeded in fits and starts without the sustained urgency such a strategic road demands.
The Eleme stretch is not a mere intra-state byway. It is the gateway to the nation’s economic jugular. According to the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing’s 2023 Highway Condition Survey, only about 35 per cent of the country’s 36,000 kilometres of federal roads are rated as being in good or fair condition, with the remainder classified as poor or very poor. The East-West Road, conceived in the 1970s to bind the entire Niger Delta, remains unfinished in critical sections more than four decades after. If it had been treated as a priority, the perennial gridlock, carnage, and economic loss on the Eleme-Refinery junction would have long been consigned to history.
The irony is as painful as it is glaring. The Niger Delta remains the goose that lays the golden eggs. Data from the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative [NEITI 2023 Oil and Gas Audit] show that the region still accounts for over 78 per cent of Nigeria’s federally collected export earnings and about 65 per cent of total government revenue. The National Bureau of Statistics [NBS Foreign Trade Report Q4 2024] similarly confirms that crude oil continues to dominate export receipts. By every metric of equity and economic logic, a region that sustains the national purse deserves first-rate consideration in the allocation of infrastructure, not afterthoughts and tokenism.
Road infrastructure is not largesse to be dispensed by favour; it is the skeleton upon which commerce, cohesion, and citizenship hang. When contracts are concentrated in one geopolitical zone while other zones are left to contend with craters, it erodes trust in the federation itself. The World Bank’s Nigeria Development Update [June 2023] estimated that poor transport connectivity inflates the cost of moving goods by up to 40 per cent and costs the Nigerian economy an estimated $1.5 billion annually in lost man-hours and vehicle maintenance. If we profess to be one country, then equity must be the compass that guides key institutions before any project is executed. Development must spread round, not pool in one place as though other regions do not matter.
There is also a grave security dimension that can no longer be ignored. The deplorable condition of federal roads has become a veritable enabler of criminality. The NBS Crime Experience and Security Perception Survey reported over 2.5 million incidents of kidnapping-related occurrences nationally, with transport workers identifying bad road spots as prime ambush points. When vehicles are forced to crawl at 10 kilometres per hour through failed sections at Auchi, Sapele Road, or Eleme, they become sitting ducks for armed gangs. Fixing bad roads, therefore, is not merely about convenience; it is about safeguarding lives.
By his intervention, Senator Oshiomhole has hit the nail on the head and reminded Minister Umahi of a fundamental constitutional truth: public office is held in trust. The Ministry of Works is not a personal estate where contracts are awarded according to whim or political convenience. It is a national institution funded by the collective resources of Nigerians, including the oil and gas rents from the very communities whose roads are now neglected. The Minister must demonstrate balance, transparency, and a pan-Nigerian outlook in the distribution of projects that impact the daily existence of citizens. Selective neglect breeds suspicion, and suspicion is corrosive at a time when the nation is preaching unity, oneness, equity, and justice.
Consequently, the National Assembly must go beyond rhetoric and assert its oversight powers with vigour. Sections 88 and 89 of the 1999 Constitution [as amended] empower the legislature to investigate and expose any maladministration in the execution of federal projects. If an office holder is not acting rightly, it is the duty of the Senate and the House of Representatives to call him to order. Oversight must not be reduced to budget approval ceremonies; it must translate to field verification, public hearings, and insistence that the Federal Character principle, as enshrined in Section 14(3) of the Constitution, reflects in road awards.
Let the Auchi-Okene, Benin-Warri, Benin-Asaba, and Eleme East-West gangways be restored to motorable dignity. Let priority be given to completing existing, economically vital roads before embarking on new ones. If those who, through their resources, sustain the federation are sidelined in the distribution of tangible dividends, it tells poorly of our nationhood. Bad roads must be fixed, and they must be fixed now, with fairness as the guiding standard.
Editorial
Making Rivers’ 2026 Budget Count
-
News2 hours ago2027: Adeleke Reaffirms Support For Tinubu, Calls Him Osun Son
-
News2 hours agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 hours agoOsun Guber: Probe Vote-Buying, Violence, SERAP Urges INEC, EFCC, ICPC
-
News2 hours agoArmy Intercepts Courier With 180 Explosives In Zamfara
-
News2 hours agoNigerian military raises alarm over attempt to hack X account
-
News2 hours agoNiMet predicts three-day cloudy, thundery weather
-
News2 hours agoPolice Arrest Fake Soldier, Others For Armed Robbery, Kidnapping
-
Niger Delta1 hour agoSEEPCO Empowers 110 Army Wives With Skills, Business Training
