Connect with us

Niger Delta

Police Command Denies Knowledge Of Officers’ Protest Over Promotion

Published

on

The Zone Six Police Public Relations Officer (ZPPRO), DSP Nelson Okpabi has said the Zone Six Command of the Nigeria Police was not aware of protest by men and officers under the Zone who protested over non-promotion.
Speaking to newsmen DSP Okpabi noted: “I am not aware of any protest by policemen over non-promotion in Zone 6. Officers and men in the Zone are appreciative of the IGPs magnanimity over the promotion of deserving officers to their new ranks and pray that the tempo will be sustained.”
But aggrieved general duty policemen in Cross River and Akwa Ibom states, who were last promoted in 2016 expressed frustration over an alleged refusal of the Police authorities in Abuja to include them in the November 19, 2020 promotion.
Speaking with newsmen, the officers who claimed that they were due for promotion to the rank of Inspector accused the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, of selective promotion, saying the IGP was deliberately sitting on their rights for reasons best known to him.
A spokesman for the aggrieved officers, who gave his name as Augustine lamented their non-promotion, explaining that the officers had nothing incriminatory in their files, and were not passing through any disciplinary measures.
“It was obvious the IGP was deliberately refusing to give us what rightly belongs to us. We were promoted last in 2016 and were due for another promotion to the rank of Inspector last year. On November 19, 2020, the Police authorities released names of those who were promoted and surprisingly our names were not included for reasons we are not told till date.
“There is no disciplinary issue against us. We have complained officially to the authorities and still, nothing has been done. The painful thing is that our juniors have been promoted ahead of us and we are still waiting.
“Nobody has told us anything, no communication, nothing. As the IGP has not told us why we are not promoted, it shows his action is deliberate. People are aggrieved, people are very worried. This has already affected our output.
“At times, one could be willing to put in his best and work but each time his mind wanders to such treatment, it affects him psychologically, affects patriotism, morale, mood, appetite to food and general performance. To be frank, we cannot even sleep at night as our minds continually wander on reasons for such treatment, it is traumatic.
“If you had done something wrong and this type of treatment is meted out as a punishment, you’ll understand but in this case, nobody has told us what our crimes were. There is already a psychological issue, you cannot pretend that all is well when it is not. Communication has reduced, interaction has reduced,” Augustine said.
However, the Zonal Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Nelson Okpabi described the allegation as untrue.
”I am not aware of any officer of the 2016 batch who has not been promoted. They were all captured and there is nobody left. We don’t have any of them in Zone 6 Command, it is untrue. The last promotion captured those who were expecting theirs. Everybody knows his own time”, DSP Ukpabi said.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Oborevwori Launches Medical Outreach For Children With Special Needs

Published

on

The Wife of Delta State Governor, Mrs. Tobore Oborevwori, has launched a free medical outreach for children with special needs in Delta South.
The event, which attracted scores of caregivers, medical professionals, and government functionaries, took place at Dom Domingos College, Warri.
It was organised by the governor’s wife’s pet project, “You Matter Charity Foundation”, in partnership with the State Ministry of Health.
In a speech at the event, Oborevwori said the initiative sought to promote public awareness about autism and other notable infants’ developmental conditions.
She said the programme also aimed ”to eliminate stigma and encourage inclusion of persons living with disabilities.”
According to her, the outreach is structured to cover the state’s three senatorial districts.
She noted that the programme took place earlier in Ughelli, Delta Central, where beneficiaries received medications and assistive devices, including educational materials to support learning among children with special needs.
Oborevwori, who thanked residents and local government chairmen in Delta South for their cooperation, also commended the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Joseph Onojaeme, and medical teams for their dedication to the success of the programme.
She admonished parents and caregivers to continue to show patience, compassion, and understanding towards children with special needs.
The Tide’s source reports that health workers from the ministry and Primary Healthcare Development Agency participated in the programme.
In her remark, the Director-General of the foundation, Mrs. Lawrentta Ogbedo, said the outreach would reduce financial pressure on families that have children with special needs.
She underscored the importance of early diagnosis and consistent medical attention for such children.
The Chairman of Warri South LGA, Mr. Isaac Agbateyiniro, thanked the governor’s wife for the initiative, and described her kind intervention as ”timely and beneficial to struggling families”.
Also, the Chairman, Post Primary Education Board, Mr. Samuel Mariere, applauded the foundation’s effort in extending support to children with special needs in society.
Mariere said the programme had provided hope and practical support to many households.
The source reports that the event featured free medical consultations and treatment for children.
Also, health experts delivered talks on autism awareness, care strategies, and social acceptance.
Participants were also enlightened on the legal protections against discrimination for persons with disabilities.
Other highlights included the distribution of wheelchairs, medications, and assistive materials, among other items, to the beneficiaries.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

UniCal Commits To Nursing Education Dev In C’River 

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor, University of Calabar (UniCal), Prof. Offiong  Offiong,  has reiterated the institution’s commitment towards supporting the growth of nursing education in the state.
Offiong, who made the statement recently in Calabar when members of the Basic Nursing and Midwifery Sciences Certificate Affiliation Committee visited him in his office, said as a federal university located in Cross River State, the institution would remain committed to the development of the state and the wellbeing of its residents.
The Vice Chancellor said UniCal would strategically collaborate with the state government to ensure improved healthcare education, professional training and standards.
“I commend the state government for expanding nursing institutions, this development has stimulated youth interest in health-related careers.
“We shall revisit the affiliation process to ensure compliance with national and international academic standards,” he said.
Offiong continued that curriculum review, adequate academic staffing and strict quality assurance measures would be given priority attention in the process.
He urged the state government to provide logistics support to students undertaking clinical postings in health facilities.
Leader of the delegation, Dr. Henry Ayuk, congratulated Offiong on his appointment as the Vice Chancellor of the university.
Ayuk, who’s also the Commissioner for Health in the State, commended the university for its contributions to the growth of the health sector.
He said the Bassey Otu-led government was committed to deepening collaboration with the university in order to strengthen nursing education and healthcare delivery.
The team leader expressed optimism that the partnership would boost professional training, institutional development and healthcare outcomes in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Agency Demolishes Illegal Roadside Structures In Delta N8 by … Clears Street Traders

Published

on

The Delta State Capital Territory Development Agency has commenced the removal of illegal roadside structures and street traders across Asaba.
The enforcement drive targeted areas where traders and makeshift stalls have taken over roads, walkways and drainage channels.
Speaking during the exercise, the Director-General of the agency, Mr. Patrick Ukah, said the action was necessary due to the growing safety concerns caused by unchecked roadside trading.
Ukah said the action formed part of a broader urban renewal programme aimed at improving sanitation, reducing traffic congestion and enhancing road safety.
He noted that the activities had disrupted traffic flow and exposed motorists and pedestrians to avoidable dangers.
According to him, the agency’s action is not directed at individuals but aimed at restoring order and enforcing existing regulations.
Ukah warned that the agency would not tolerate activities that deface the capital or threaten public safety.
He reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to maintaining a clean, safe and orderly capital, saying a well-managed Asaba remains vital to the image of the state and its development.
Urging affected traders to relocate to approved government markets across the city, Ukah said the operation would continue and might be extended to other locations if violations persist.
Major locations affected include Akpu Junction, Marble Hill Junction, and the Arcade near Ogbeogonogo Market.
The Tide’s source reports that in addition to dismantling illegal structures, the agency intensified sanitation efforts along major roads.
Special attention was given to the Mammy Market and Traffic Light axis of Asaba to sustain cleanliness.
The agency’s Head of Environment, Mr. Isaac Nwosu, said the teams would ensure compliance and prevent a return of illegal roadside activities.
Nwosu called on residents and traders to support the agency by adhering to environmental regulations.
Continue Reading

Trending