Connect with us

News

Political Violence: Police Assure Rivers Journalists Of Security

Published

on

As tension mounts preparatory to the March 28 and April 11, 2015 general elections, the Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Dan Bature, has assured Journalists of protection amidst increasing insecurity in the State.
He gave the assurance on Monday following a peaceful protest by Journalists in the State over the spate of insecurity characterized by kidnapping, robbery and violent attacks, which had also affected journalists in the course of performing their official duties.
The State Police boss, who addressed a delegation of the journalists led by the State Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Mr. Opaka Dokubo, in his office, identified with the concerns raised regarding insecurity in the state.
While acknowledging and thanking the journalists for their stand, he noted that it was for the same purpose that the State Security Council had been in session “since morning”, stating that “the Police is not incapacitated, and is still able to ensure peace and security of lives and property in Rivers State.
He told the protesting journalists that he had directed that wherever there is political activity, journalists should be identified and given protection alongside other security measures that will be put in place.
While thanking the journalists for what he called “strong working relationship” with the media since assumption of duty in Rivers State, he assured that the Police would not rest on their oars as regards ensuring security of lives and property in the state.
Earlier, the Journalists had taken the protest to Government House, Port Harcourt where the Permanent Secretary, Mr. Fortune Oguru, addressed them on behalf of the State Governor, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Amaechi, who he said, was in a meeting with all the security chiefs in the state.
Oguru explained to the protesting journalists that the security concerns they raised were top on the agenda of issues being discussed by the State Security Council.
“I am happy that you have come to vent your anger as regards what is happening in the state, what you are seeing here (Government House) are tiers of security chiefs in the state.
“As I am talking to you now, His Excellency has asked me to come and address you. One of the things they are addressing at the security council meeting is the issue of violence in the state.
“The Government is aware that kidnapping has increased, killing and a lot of violence have also increased in this State. That is one of the reasons they are discussing this morning. I am happy that you have raised your voice. Whatever be your view this morning will be passed on to His Excellency”, he said.
While stating the concerns of Journalists in the State at the gate of the Government House, the State NUJ Chairman, Opaka Dokubo, had expressed the concern that Journalists were not protected in the course of carrying out their official duties, particularly in preparation for the 2015 general elections, which had made them victims in political violence.
“For us as journalists, we are worried about the state of insecurity, especially in Rivers State. Yes, election is all over the country, but it appears to be taking a different dimension in Rivers State, as if it is only in this State that elections are happening.
“We have come to Government because Government’s first responsibility is the protection of lives and property. The way things are going, we as people who chronicle the stories every day of these happenings, have found that gradually, Rivers State is sliding into a very serious state of insecurity, and we are not happy.
“So, for us, we want to tell Government that whatever is needful and necessary to do to stem this tide, please take charge and do it”, he said.

 

Segbeba Dokubo

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending