Connect with us

News

Jonathan’s Aborted Visit: NNPC, Itsekiri, Ijaw Parley, Today

Published

on

The Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, has invited Itsekiri and Ijaw leaders in Delta State to a meeting in Abuja todayover the contentious ownership of the $16 billion Export Processing Zone, EPZ, project site.
President Goodluck Jonathan abruptly cancelled his visit to Delta State to perform the ground breaking ceremony of the project, renamed Delta Gas City by the Federal Government, on Friday, following a threat by the Ijaw of Gbaramatu Kingdom in Warri South-West Local Government Area to unleash violence if he came without first resolving their grievances.
It was the second time Jonathan cancelled the ground breaking ceremony, having done so in June, based on the same reasons advanced by the Ijaw. Secretary of the Leaders of Thought, Mr. Edward Ekpoko, confirmed, that he was aware to tomorrow’s meeting.
An Ijaw leader, who confirmed that he was already in Abuja for the meeting, said, “The meeting is summoned by the Group Managing Director, GMD, of NNPC. They are saying they did not know that Ijaw actually own part of the land acquired by the Delta State government for the project and they did not even know that there is crisis of this dimension over the project site until we protested, last Wednesday.”
The Federal Government, in a statement, last Thursday, formally announcing the postponement of the ground breaking ceremony of the Gas Revolution Industrial Park, GRIP, said the decision was taken by the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke,  after consultations with Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta State.
Uduaghan, who had stated 24 hours earlier that nobody could stop Jonathan from coming to Delta to perform the ground breaking ceremony, was taken aback at the postponement contrary to the claim that the decision was taken after consultations with him.
In fact, the Itsekiri Leaders of Thought, ILT, an influential Itsekiri group, led by Pa J.O.S Ayomike, never knew the President had cancelled the trip to the state until the day of the ceremony.
The failure of Jonathan to perform the ground breaking ceremony of the project had sparked controversy with many asking why the President would suspend a ceremony because of a threat by his kinsmen.
“President Jonathan’s refusal to perform the ground breaking ceremony of the project as fixed for Friday was a show of cowardice unexpected of his office which should stand for the rule of law. He has shown that he has joined the Ijaw militants in building fences among the ethnic nationalities in the Niger Delta and Nigeria”, the ILT said.
An Ijaw leader told our source, “We are not against the EPZ project, what we are saying is that the project is on Ijaw land as well as it is on Itsekiri land. So it should not be named after Ogidigben, an Itsekiri community alone.”
The Ajuwaoyiboyami of Warri Kingdom, Chief Ayiri Emami, alias Akulagba, lambasted Jonathan for abandoning the ground breaking ceremony because of threat by some Ijaw ex-militants.
He said, “The truth must be told that Itsekiri people can no longer fold our arms and watch Government Ekpemupolo in collaboration with some of his Ijaw brothers and a few Itsekiri dissidents continue to take what God has given to us.”

Continue Reading

News

Isaac Boro Memorial: N’Delta Still Bleeds For Justice -MOSIEND

Published

on

The Movement for the Survival of the Izon Ethnic Nationality in the Niger Delta (MOSIEND) has said that the structural imbalance in resource ownership, weak fiscal federalism, environmental degradation, political exclusion, and the implementation of anti-oil-producing community policies still continue in the Niger Delta 58 years after Isaac Adaka Boro died for the struggle.

MOSIEND made this observation in commemoration of 58th Isaac Adaka Boro Day in Port Harcourt at the weekend.

Boro was a revolutionary leader of Ijaw extraction in the Niger Delta who fought for the emancipation of the minorities in the region.

The group described the late hero as a visionary son of the Niger Delta whose struggle transcended ethnic identity and spoke for the collective aspirations of all minority nationalities of the region.

The statement noted that though Boro was of the Ijaw heritage, “his agitation was never for the Ijaw extraction alone, his revolutionary call was for the emancipation, dignity, justice, and equitable treatment of all oppressed minorities of the Niger Delta.”

This was contained in a statement by the MOSIEND President, Comrade Kennedy Tonjo West.

MOSIEND said 58 years after Boro’s prophetic declaration, the injustices and dissatisfaction he identified remain substantially unresolved.

“The structural imbalance in resource ownership, weak fiscal federalism, environmental degradation, political exclusion, and the persistent implementation of policies perceived as anti-oil-producing communities continue to validate Boro’s concerns.

“The continued operation of laws such as the Land Use Act, and policy frameworks many consider unfavorable to host communities, has sustained the painful contradiction whereby the Niger Delta bears the burden of exploration while often seeing inadequate proportional development.

“This inequity becomes even more troubling when compared with differing approaches to resource governance across other parts of the federation.

“It is  important to state that the commemoration of Boro’s Day must not be reduced to an Ijaw youth event alone, doing so diminishes the broader significance of his sacrifice and narrows the historic burden he carried for the entire Niger Delta.”

“The group urged the Federal Government to “revisit all policies that inhibit host community participation and to sincerely address the demands for true restructuring and fiscal federalism, which remain essential for national stability and justice.”

The statement reads in part, “We also note with concern the slow pace of strategic marine and blue economy development within the Niger Delta, despite the region’s immense maritime potential, while comparable developments elsewhere often receive accelerated implementation. This imbalance reinforces long-standing perceptions of exclusion.

“To the Ijaw nation, Boro’s Day calls for sober reflection. Disunity remains one of the greatest obstacles to our collective progress. Internal divisions create loopholes for manipulation and weaken the strength of our advocacy. We therefore call on all Ijaw sons and daughters to embrace peace, unity, and purposeful engagement.

“To all Niger Deltans, this is a moment to rise above ethnic boundaries and work together in harmony for the advancement of our shared destiny. To Nigeria as a whole, the time has come to confront the unresolved questions of justice, equity, constitutional balance, and national inclusion.

“The strength of any federation lies not in the dominance of some, but in the fair accommodation of all.

“This 58th Boro’s Day is not merely a remembrance of history; it is a solemn reminder that Isaac Jasper Adaka Boro was a man far ahead of his time. His vision remains alive because the issues he raised remain alive.

“May this day inspire courageous leadership, sincere dialogue, national rebirth, and a renewed commitment to building a Nigeria where every region can truly call this nation home.”

By: Chinedu Wosu

Continue Reading

News

FG To Unveil Radio Station For Adult Education

Published

on

The Federal Government will soon inaugurate a dedicated radio station to broadcast lessons for adult and non-formal education learners across the country.

Director of Literacy and Development at the National Commission for Mass Literacy, Adult and Non-Formal Education, Dr John Edeh, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja on Saturday.

Edeh, who is also overseeing the commission, said the initiative was approved by the Minister of Education, Dr Tunji Alausa, to expand access to learning in remote communities.

He explained that radio remained the cheapest and most accessible medium for reaching marginalised and hard-to-reach populations.

According to him, the station will broadcast literacy and vocational education programmes nationwide and beyond Nigeria’s borders.

“Already, we have started the implementation process with the National Commission for Nomadic Education, and this approval was granted by the Minister to ensure that the radio station is established.

“With the radio, we can also leverage myths, so that it can broadcast lessons to every nook and cranny of the country, and this radio station also covers other countries.

“We are using digital technology now to reach our learners wherever they are,” he said.

Edeh added that the radio platform would be jointly utilised by NMEC, the National Commission for Nomadic Education and other agencies responsible for the education of out-of-school children.

“That radio will become a non-formal education radio station, so it will be utilised by our commission.

“Those three agencies will have access to use the radio station to broadcast lessons.

“So, there won’t be any issue of any area not being reached.

“When broadcasting begins, the frequency will be shared with learners so they can tune in from anywhere,” he said.

Edeh added that the initiative formed part of the government’s digital strategy to ensure no learner was excluded from education due to location or circumstance.

Continue Reading

News

Fubara Reaffirms Membership Of APC   …As RSG Completes Rumuigbo General Hospital

Published

on

Rivers State Governor ,Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has reaffirmed his membership of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

The affirmation followed the widespread speculations that he has defected from the ruling APC to the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) in the ongoing realignment of political forces ahead of the 2027 General elections.

Fubara made the clarification during an inspection tour of the newly constructed General Hospital and the fully remodelled Neuropsychiatric  Hospital, in Rumuigbo, Obiakpor Local Government Area of the State, recently.

He said that contrary to the erroneous reports  in a section of the media in the last couple of days, suggesting that he had joined another political party, he remained a member of the ruling party and will continue to work for the overall interest of the party.

“I know that there have been a lot of drama in the media; one story or another. I am a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and nothing has changed. People should stop using whatever situation  that they pick up from the social media or their own interpretation of any situation to present me wrongly.

“I’ve not gone anywhere; I’m still a member of the APC and I remain a member. Whatever happens, what is important is supporting the overall interest of the party,” he said.

The governor, who was conducted round the facilities by the Director of Medical Services in the Rivers State Ministry of Health, Dr. Vincent Wachukwu, expressed delight at the completion of the  two  projects which, according to him, were conceived to address critical needs in the health sector in the state.

He recalled that while the  rehabilitation of the Psychiatric Hospital became necessary at some point, the administration also discovered that the area had no General Hospital to take care of the basic health needs of the people.

“This very project,  if you could remember, when we came in we had an issue that required our sudden visit and it  had to do with mental health. So, when we came here for the inspection of the Rehabilitation Centre  that the board was trying to put together, we found out that we had more issues than even the mental  health issue.

“We didn’t have a General Hospital to serve the people within this area. The closest medical center that they had here was the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH) which is very far from here. We felt that with the space we have in this compound, it will be proper for us to  also have a General Hospital situated in this particular facility to take care of the neighboring communities up to Rumuola,  Rumuolumeni and all the surrounding areas.

“Today, to the glory of God, we can see that the project is already completed. It is not 95 percent complete, it is a hundred percent completed.

“We’re happy because, it is a promise made and a promise fulfilled. Like I’ll always say,  what is important is doing what will touch the life of our people. Our people should be first and that is how important this project is for us in this administration,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending