News
Police Nab Pirates, Recover N7m, Weapons
Men of the Nigerian Police Force, Rivers State Command, have made a major breakthrough in the fight against sea piracy across the coastal communities in the state, with the arrest of four sea pirates and recovery of the sum of N7 million from the gang.
The state Commissioner of Police, Mbu Joseph Mbu, disclosed this while briefing newsmen at the police headquarters in Port Harcourt, yesterday.
Mbu who gave the names of the two major suspects of the gang as Alaye Adams David, ad Andals James, while the others are Asuquo Williams and a 20-year Miss Asikari Eventine, identified as the girl friend of the alleged gang’s kingpin, Mr Jackson Lucky, the owner of Jack Bar, located at No 43 Aba Road, now at large.
Mbu further disclosed that on the 8th of May, 2013, men of metro patrol attached to Citi sighted a commercial taxi with seven occupants suspected to be men of the underworld, adding that the vehicle was flagged down for stop and search.
According to him, immediately the vehicle was intercepted, two of the occupants took to their flight, saying, they were pursued and later arrested by police officials.
He disclosed that a search was conducted on them and the police recovered three computer laptop machines, 11 mobile handsets, the sum of N7,870,000 and $1,900 as well as assorted charms.
He averred that upon interrogation, the suspects confessed that the money and items found on them were proceeds from armed robbery and sea piracy operations carried out by them at the border between Bayelsa and Bonny High Sea, adding that the suspects also admitted to have stolen the sum of N30,000,000 on boarding a ship within the route.
Mbu disclosed that the suspects who hail from Nembe Community in Bayelsa State would be handed over to Bayelsa Police Command for further prosecution on related crimes committed in that state.
He said that a high-powered investigation was on-going with a view to arresting the fleeing gang leader and other members.
The state commissioner of police, Mbu Joseph Mbu, gave the name of the suspect as Ibrahim Tijani from Kogi state. He said on the 26th of May, 2013 at about 2.40pm, a distress call was received by Diobu division that a Peugeot 406 salon car had been reported stolen from Silverbird Cinema along Abonnema Wharf Road.
According to him, men of the division quickly alerted all other police formations, adding that shortly afterwards, the stolen vehicle was sighted at Leventis park area along Aba Road.
He said while the patrol team from Diobu was racing to the scene of crime, they had a fatal motor accident that led to the death of the commander of the team, one Sergeant John Adiele.
He, however, said the stolen vehicle was intercepted and the driver arrested while the vehicle was impounded by men of Mini-Okoro division.
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports1 day ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News4 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
