Sports
Milan Looks To Unlock Barcelona, Today
AC Milan have hinted they could shun their Italian roots when Barcelona visit the San Siro in the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals, first leg today.
Speaking following Saturday’s 2-1 win over Roma, Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri said there were two ways to tackle Barcelona.
“Either you sit back and try to hit them on the counter-attack, which is difficult, or you do what we did in our home group game and have a go, but we made some mistakes,” he said.
Allegri hinted that he favoured a more positive approach in throwing some caution to the wind rather than adopting a more typical catenaccio (door-bolt) system. In either case, Allegri is more likely to turn to his forwards than his defence to try to solve the Barcelona conundrum.
The two sides met in the group stages earlier this season and although the scores were close, Barcelona totally dominated in the 2-2 draw in Spain while they also deserved their 3-2 victory in Italy. What those games showed, though, was that Barcelona do concede goals if teams adopt a more offensive strategy.
And with Robinho and Maxi Lopez training again following injuries, with the former likely to partner Zlatan Ibrahimovic up front, Milan’s attacking resources at least appear handsome – much more so than against Roma where youngster Stephan El Shaarawy was called upon.
In defence, it is a different story as influential centre-back Thiago Silva has been ruled out of both legs with a hamstring pull. It means Daniele Bonera, rather than veteran Alessandro Nesta, who is just back from injury, is likely to play alongside Frenchman Philippe Mexes in the heart of defence.
Silva’s loss cannot be understated despite the reliability of Bonera, who stepped into the breach two years ago at Old Trafford as Milan were crushed 4-0 by Manchester United.
Club captain Massimo Ambrosini knows how much Silva will be missed. “I’m sorry for Thiago Silva, it’s an important loss but we’ll keep going,” he said. “Barcelona are the best team in the world but you don’t need to be a magician to know that.
“They’ve made their mark on football history but it’s also a great stimulus to be playing them. We need everyone to make big sacrifices. There’s not just one player to stop, Barcelona have many weapons.”
Also missing for Milan is former Barcelona holding midfielder Mark van Bommel, as well as forwards Pato and Antonio Cassano.
Sports
SWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
The Sports Writers Association of Nigeria ( SWAN) Rivers State Chapter has set up five standing working committees on Tuesday, in its general congress.
Sports
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
At the playoff held at the Lagos Lawn Tennis Club, Onikan, the team of Canice Abua, Michael Emmanuel, Daniel Adeleye, and Abubakar Yusuf was majestic as they restored Nigeria’s hope in a sport that once gave the country so much joy.
Speaking after the final game, Nigeria Tennis Federation (NTF) President, Victor Ochei, said the Davis Cup feat is the stepping stone to better days in the sport, adding that the federation has set up programmes that will help the budding talents across the country play at the same level as their counterparts in other tennis-developed countries.
Ochei said: “The whole aim of having this new board is to lift the sport to the level we used to be. I tell you, tennis is taking a new shape in Nigeria. We are putting everything and anything to make that work happen.”
Ochei said that the NTF has looked at sponsorships and how to get the emerging players compete at the same level with their peers elsewhere, adding that the federation is working on organising local competitions and helping the players to compete in international championships.
“We believe that with what we are doing now, sponsors will come to us to organise new competitions. But beyond that, there’s a strategic growth development plan, a 10-year development plan, which the board is working on.
“The programme will ensure that we catch them young. This is because we believe that to create champions, we must start grooming them early. The champions you are seeing today were those groomed yesterday.”
“The process of building new champions will include building the coaches, the players, the infrastructure and sensitising the parents so that we can start catching them as young as age five to six.
“By the time that we groom them through 10 years of training, at age 15, 16, you will see fantastic professional players.”
To achieve the federation’s plans, Ochei admits that the NTF needs a lot of investment, adding that the board is working at realising the funds quietly and tenaciously.
The NTF president acknowledged the contributions of former international stars like Nduka Odizor and Sadiq Abdullahi to the bid to rejuvenate Nigerian tennis, adding that NTF is open to collaborating with former players who know what it takes to play at the highest level of the sport.
He said, “Nduka Odizor is around as one of our VIP personalities. He has been psyching up the boys in the battle with Uzbekistan. He will not enter the court to play, but his mere presence is enough motivation to the boys, who will want to be like him in the future.
“You see, the type of support the Odizors, the Imonities and the Abdullahis got in their time is no longer there, but we are revamping it with the support of our stakeholders in the Diaspora.
“It will appear to take us some time, but I can tell you that the Diaspora support is massive.”
Sports
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
In its bid to get good results in this year’s Commonwealth Games, the National Sports Commission (NSC) has disbursed N200 million as training grants to 26 athletes.
The 2026 Commonwealth Games will be held in Glasgow, Scotland.
The NSC stated that the grants were disbursed through its Elite and Podium Board, noting that N200 million was allocated to select top-performing athletes.
The beneficiaries are both foreign-based and home-based, the NSC said, adding that it will cater for their training and preparation expenses.
According to the NSC, the recipients span several sports, including athletics, wrestling, weightlifting, and para-sports, in line with the Commission’s mandate to prioritise athletes’ welfare and high-performance development.
The Commission added that the disbursement follows the establishment of the Elite and Podium Board, created to implement a scientific and institutionalised support system aimed at sustaining peak performances by Nigerian athletes at major international competitions.
NSC Director General, Bukola Olopade, said the Commission, under the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, was established to restore confidence and provide renewed hope for Nigerian sportsmen and women by placing strong emphasis on athlete welfare.
“The training grants disbursed to 26 athletes across different sports followed a careful and professional selection process by the Yusuf Ali-led Elite and Podium Board. This is our way of reassuring our athletes that their welfare remains our utmost priority,” he said.
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business3 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
