Business
Panyam-Bokkos-Wamba Road Contractor Knows Fate Soon
The Federal Ministry of Works will decide the fate of the contractor handling the Panyam-Bokkos-Wamba Road in the next two weeks.
The Minister of State for Works, Amb. Bashir Yuguda disclosed this last Tuesday at Bokkos in Plateau, when he led the National Good Governance Tour team to inspect the project.
The Minister, who was visibly disappointed at the work done by the contractor, said the ministry was already discussing with the contractor’s bankers to recover the mobilisation fee the contractor had collected to execute the job.
According to him, N86 million had so far been recovered from the contractor while over N1 billion was still outstanding.
Yuguda said that the Goodluck Jonathan administration was prepared to work with only contractors who were ready to work.
“ This kind of contractor will not have a place in the new Ministry of Works,” he said.
Meanwhile, Mr Titus Alams, the member representing Bokkos Constituency in the Plateau State House of Assembly , said the people of Bokkos would continue to believe in the Federal Government, and agree that its transformation agenda was real.
He, however, expressed disappointment over the failure of the contractor to deliver on the project five years after he was mobilised by the government.
Commenting on the issue, the NUJ National Secretary, Mr Liman Shuaibu, urged the Federal Government to set up a tribunal to try contractors who failed to execute jobs according to the terms of the agreement.
He said that mere revocation of contracts for poor job done would not be enough to deter such contractors.
“Government should take decisive steps to punish failed contractors, revocation is not enough,” he said.
In the same vein, the Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, expressed disappointment over the poor work done by the contractor.
He queried the absence of the contractor after he had been informed of the visit by the National Good Governance Tour team.
He said such contractors would no longer be patronised by the Federal Government of Nigerian for disrespecting constituted authority.
He urged people of the community to remain law-abiding and assured them that the government was taking steps to address the issue.
Our correspondent gathered that the project was awarded to Stateco Nigeria Ltd, in 2007.
The new road, when completed, would connect the western part of Bauchi State, Plateau South and Wamba in Nasarawa State.
Business
RIVERS NUJ BACKS BONNY TOURISM, TASKS MEDIA ON DEVELOPMENT REPORTING
Business
Jonathan, Diri, Others Laud Firm’s Milestone in Bayelsa …Says Project Will Drive Industrialisation, Create Jobs
Business
AKG To Purchase More Aircraft —-Targets 10 Fleets this Year
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
