Connect with us

Politics

Oyo LG Polls: 4,900 Candidates To Vie For 384 Seats

Published

on

Over 4,900 candidates are set to vie for 33 chairmanship and 351 councillorship seats in the forthcoming local government elections in Oyo State.
   A total of 19 political parties are to participate in the elections scheduled for April 27 with parties like the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the All Progressives Congress (APC), New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), Labour Party (LP), Zenith Labour Party (ZLP), African Democratic Congress (ADC) having candidates spread across all local government areas.
Chairman, Oyo State Independent Electoral Commission (OYSIEC), Mr Isiaka Olagunju made this known in a conversation with The Tide’s source, following the completion of screening of list of candidates.
Asked about petitions received by the commission thus far, Olagunju said it had received two petitions challenging the certificates of some candidates.
Meanwhile, the 19 parties contesting the election are upbeat about the chances of their candidates, with parties like Boot Party (BP), National Rescue Movement (NRM), Allied Peoples Movement (APM) stating that they fielded candidates only in places where they consider their strong areas.
While the major opposition, the APC, said it was going to put up a great fight against the PDP, the ruling party in the state said it was so popular that it would defeat even a coalition of the APC and other parties. Publicity Secretary, Oyo APC, Mr Olawale Sadare, said the party was contesting to change the status quo of the ruling party sweeping local government elections because of its concern to rescue the local government system, which it said had been bastardised by the PDP led government in the state.
Sadare said: “This is the first time a major opposition party will participate in local government election. Since we started this democratic dispensation since 1999, it has always been a one-sided thing, the major political party never participated.
“We are changing the status quo. We want to work for the people. It won’t be business as usual. PDP should be ready for a good fight. Their plan is to completely annihilate the third tier of government and we will not allow that to happen.
“We want to revamp, resuscitate the local government system in the state which has been bastardised by the current administration. We want to give people a choice to rescue the local government system in the state.”
But, the PDP, through its Publicity Secretary, Mr Micheal Ogunsina, expressed confidence that the election would be an easy ride for the PDP, saying it would defeat even a coalition of APC and other parties.
He hinged his confidence on what he described as the love and popularity of Governor Seyi Makinde in the State, adding that just like the PDP was massively supported in the governorship election, it would also get massive votes of people in the local government election. Ogunsina said, “I really think it will be an easy ride for the PDP. I don’t think the participation of the opposition parties will change anything. I don’t think they are that popular. I know they are not that interesting to people of Oyo State.
“PDP is the party to beat in Oyo State. If all the opposition come together to form a coalition against us in the forthcoming local government election, they will be defeated. We are that popular.
“The PDP in Oyo State is Seyi Makinde’s party. Seyi Makinde is the governor loved by the people and they will be willing to ensure that their representatives at the local government level are in sync with the state government. There is nothing to be scared of.”

 

Continue Reading

Politics

INEC Extends Candidate Submission Deadline Till ‘Morow

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the deadline for political parties to submit the list of candidates for the 2027 governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections from Saturday, August 8, to Tuesday, August 11, 2026.

The commission announced the extension in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Haruna.

According to INEC, the decision followed appeals by political parties for additional time to complete the submission process through the dedicated online portal.

“The submission window, which according to the revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, 8th August, 2026, has been extended to Tuesday, 11th August, 2026,” the commission said.

In a a related development, INEC announced the suspension of PVC collection in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election.

The commission said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced Permanent Voter Cards would have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.

The electoral body explained that the deadline was necessary to enable it compile data on downloaded PVCs and produce final statistics on the total number of cards collected ahead of the election.

INEC said PVC collection in Osun commenced at the Registration Area level from July 22 to 28, 2026, but was extended to July 31 following complaints about large crowds and difficulties experienced by voters at collection centres.

The exercise subsequently moved to the local government level and ran from August 1 to 7.

The commission also disclosed that replacement downloadable PVCs had been made available to voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas following the theft of cards during attacks on the two collection centres.

It stressed that the stolen cards could not be used to vote.

INEC reassured Osun residents of its preparedness for the August 15 governorship election.

“The commission reiterates that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

“INEC reassures the people of Osun State of its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive governorship election on 15th August, 2026,” the statement said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: INEC Extends Submission Deadline For Assembly, Guber Candidates 

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has given political parties three extra days to complete the submission of candidates for the February 2027 Governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections.

The commission said the deadline, initially set for Saturday, 8 August, has been extended to Tuesday, 11 August 2026, following appeals from political parties for more time.

INEC also announced that the window for voters who applied to replace lost, damaged or defaced PVCs to download their replacement cards will close at midnight on Sunday, 9 August.

The move is to enable the commission compile final PVC collection figures ahead of the 15 August Osun governorship election.

INEC said replacement downloadable PVCs have also been provided to affected voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas after hoodlums carted away cards from two collection centres, stressing that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

The commission reaffirmed its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive election in Osun State.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Yilwatda’s Birthday Outreach Demonstrates Leadership – Kefas

Published

on

The Taraba State Governor, Agbu Kefas, has described the medical outreach organised by the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, as a powerful demonstration of leadership and compassion.

Gov. Kefas made the remarks over the weekend at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Jalingo, during the flag-off of the second phase of the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach in Taraba State, organised as part of activities marking Prof. Yilwatda’s 58th birthday.

The governor commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing to mark his birthday by providing medical care to people in need.

“What Professor Nentawe did is a powerful demonstration of what leadership should be,” Gov. Kefas said.

He assured that his administration would continue to support initiatives that complement government efforts to improve healthcare delivery and the wellbeing of residents.

Speaking at the event, Prof. Yilwatda called on Nigerian leaders to embrace the culture of giving and use their positions to touch the lives of the less privileged.

He said his decision to celebrate his 58th birthday in Taraba State was deliberate and informed by the needs of underserved communities, particularly people who face difficulties accessing healthcare because of distance and financial constraints.

According to him, the intervention followed a needs assessment and was extended across the three senatorial districts of the state.

He said the exercise commenced on August 3 at Takum General Hospital and covered the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari; First Referral Hospital, Sunkani, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area; General Hospital, Bali; General Hospital, Gembu; and FMC Jalingo.

Prof. Yilwatda said the intervention provided medical services to thousands of beneficiaries, including people who required surgical procedures.

He said sustainable national development could only be achieved when strong institutions placed Nigerians at the centre of development.

“Leadership is about service,” he said, urging political and public leaders to make giving back to society an important part of their responsibilities.

He reaffirmed his commitment to serving Nigeria and its people, saying his personal vision was to make every day of his life useful to humanity.

“Every day that I live, the vision is: let it be useful to humanity,” he said.

The Taraba State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bordiya Buma, commended the initiative, saying it was consistent with the Renewed Hope agenda and efforts to strengthen healthcare delivery in the state.

Dr Buma said the second phase followed the successful completion of the first phase, which was conducted simultaneously in six local government areas, with two LGAs selected from each of the three senatorial districts.

According to him, more than 10,000 patients were attended to during the first phase, including people with medical and surgical conditions.

He disclosed that 327 general surgeries, 71 eye surgeries and 575 dental procedures were carried out during the exercise.

The commissioner expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach and thanked Prof. Yilwatda for supporting the initiative and choosing Taraba State as a beneficiary.

The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, also commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing Taraba State to mark his 58th birthday through a medical outreach.

Prof. Pate said making healthcare the centrepiece of the birthday celebration was significant because health affects everyone.

 

Continue Reading

Trending