Politics
Reps Tackle Ministry Over Prolonged Electricity Outage
The House of Representatives Committee on Power yesterday in Abuja tackled the Ministry of Power over prolonged power outage in the country.
Rep. Magaji Aliyu, the Chairman, House Committee on Power, expressed displeasure with the ministry when the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Power, Mr Nebeolisa Anako, appeared before it during an interactive session.
He said that Nigerians were currently experiencing one of the worst moments of electricity supply across the country.
According to him, this development has caused variety of problems affecting peoples’ welfare which makes social living condition very uncomfortable.
He added that it has caused collapse of small businesses whose operations depend on stable electricity supply.
He stated that the situation had aggravated increased process in commodities and services for those who required electricity supply.
He said that the overheated socio-economic environment due to very poor electricity supply had attracted huge public outcry for immediate solutions.
He urged the ministry to also explain the technical, operational and administrative measures taken by the ministry to address the challenges and its devastating consequences on Nigerians.
“In this country, there is no fuel, no light and no gas. We were told we have 30,000 megawatts, but that only transmission is our problem. My heart bleed for this country, we may never have it right may be during our time,” he lamented.
He said that the permanent secretary only presented a thesis rather than proffering solution to the mirage of electricity problem bedeviling the country.
Rep. Ajibola Muraina (PDP-Oyo) said the problem of power outage was not just starting now, adding that every year there is usually shortage of water, without measure to correct the anomaly.
He added that the country’s inability to power light via gas was uncalled for, adding that the ministry is always adopting a fire brigade approach, which will not work.
“I think we are not prepared to give Nigerians power. In my constituency, no light; they only bring it when they want to bring bill,” he said.
Rep. Sada Soli (APC-Katsina) said: “I don’t think the ministry of power is in charge because they don’t see it as their responsibility to deliver power to Nigerians.
Rep. Mariam Onoha (APC-Imo) in her contribution stated that: “I want to assume that there are some level of conspiracy of bringing government down as we approach the electioneering year.”
He queried why critical infrastructure would be about to run down when the country was approaching the election year.
The permanent secretary on his part, said that the ministry had a lot of issues in the Nigeria electricity supply crisis, adding that it s working to resolve the issue.
He said that in spite of improvements in power generation to a peak of 5,800MW last year, and average available generation of 5,000MW, recent events had seen a temporary crash in generation by about 1,600MW.
He said that the loss was now gradually being recovered as the situation is stabilised to better served the growing power demand in the country.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Federal Ministry of Power is responsible for the coordination of the power sector in Nigeria to ensure synergy among stakeholders to provide efficient power supply. (NAN)
Politics
INEC Extends Candidate Submission Deadline Till ‘Morow
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the deadline for political parties to submit the list of candidates for the 2027 governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections from Saturday, August 8, to Tuesday, August 11, 2026.
The commission announced the extension in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Haruna.
According to INEC, the decision followed appeals by political parties for additional time to complete the submission process through the dedicated online portal.
“The submission window, which according to the revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, 8th August, 2026, has been extended to Tuesday, 11th August, 2026,” the commission said.
In a a related development, INEC announced the suspension of PVC collection in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election.
The commission said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced Permanent Voter Cards would have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.
The electoral body explained that the deadline was necessary to enable it compile data on downloaded PVCs and produce final statistics on the total number of cards collected ahead of the election.
INEC said PVC collection in Osun commenced at the Registration Area level from July 22 to 28, 2026, but was extended to July 31 following complaints about large crowds and difficulties experienced by voters at collection centres.
The exercise subsequently moved to the local government level and ran from August 1 to 7.
The commission also disclosed that replacement downloadable PVCs had been made available to voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas following the theft of cards during attacks on the two collection centres.
It stressed that the stolen cards could not be used to vote.
INEC reassured Osun residents of its preparedness for the August 15 governorship election.
“The commission reiterates that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.
“INEC reassures the people of Osun State of its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive governorship election on 15th August, 2026,” the statement said.
Politics
2027: INEC Extends Submission Deadline For Assembly, Guber Candidates
The commission said the deadline, initially set for Saturday, 8 August, has been extended to Tuesday, 11 August 2026, following appeals from political parties for more time.
INEC also announced that the window for voters who applied to replace lost, damaged or defaced PVCs to download their replacement cards will close at midnight on Sunday, 9 August.
The move is to enable the commission compile final PVC collection figures ahead of the 15 August Osun governorship election.
INEC said replacement downloadable PVCs have also been provided to affected voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas after hoodlums carted away cards from two collection centres, stressing that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.
The commission reaffirmed its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive election in Osun State.
Politics
Yilwatda’s Birthday Outreach Demonstrates Leadership – Kefas
Gov. Kefas made the remarks over the weekend at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Jalingo, during the flag-off of the second phase of the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach in Taraba State, organised as part of activities marking Prof. Yilwatda’s 58th birthday.
The governor commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing to mark his birthday by providing medical care to people in need.
“What Professor Nentawe did is a powerful demonstration of what leadership should be,” Gov. Kefas said.
He assured that his administration would continue to support initiatives that complement government efforts to improve healthcare delivery and the wellbeing of residents.
Speaking at the event, Prof. Yilwatda called on Nigerian leaders to embrace the culture of giving and use their positions to touch the lives of the less privileged.
He said his decision to celebrate his 58th birthday in Taraba State was deliberate and informed by the needs of underserved communities, particularly people who face difficulties accessing healthcare because of distance and financial constraints.
According to him, the intervention followed a needs assessment and was extended across the three senatorial districts of the state.
He said the exercise commenced on August 3 at Takum General Hospital and covered the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari; First Referral Hospital, Sunkani, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area; General Hospital, Bali; General Hospital, Gembu; and FMC Jalingo.
Prof. Yilwatda said the intervention provided medical services to thousands of beneficiaries, including people who required surgical procedures.
He said sustainable national development could only be achieved when strong institutions placed Nigerians at the centre of development.
“Leadership is about service,” he said, urging political and public leaders to make giving back to society an important part of their responsibilities.
He reaffirmed his commitment to serving Nigeria and its people, saying his personal vision was to make every day of his life useful to humanity.
“Every day that I live, the vision is: let it be useful to humanity,” he said.
The Taraba State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bordiya Buma, commended the initiative, saying it was consistent with the Renewed Hope agenda and efforts to strengthen healthcare delivery in the state.
Dr Buma said the second phase followed the successful completion of the first phase, which was conducted simultaneously in six local government areas, with two LGAs selected from each of the three senatorial districts.
According to him, more than 10,000 patients were attended to during the first phase, including people with medical and surgical conditions.
He disclosed that 327 general surgeries, 71 eye surgeries and 575 dental procedures were carried out during the exercise.
The commissioner expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach and thanked Prof. Yilwatda for supporting the initiative and choosing Taraba State as a beneficiary.
The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, also commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing Taraba State to mark his 58th birthday through a medical outreach.
Prof. Pate said making healthcare the centrepiece of the birthday celebration was significant because health affects everyone.
-
News3 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy3 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Maritime3 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
Oil & Energy3 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
News3 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News3 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News3 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime3 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
