Connect with us

Niger Delta

CP Orders DPOs To Demolish Illegal OSPAC, Vigilante Groups’ Detention Camps

Published

on

The Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Friday Eboka has given a matching order to Divisional Police Officers (DPOs), Area Commanders to demolish all illegal detention camp facilities run by vigilante groups in their various domains across the local government areas of the state
The Police spokesman, Nnamdi Omoni in an interview with our correspondent said the CP gave this directive based on the management meeting he held with DPOs, Area Commanders, over the weekend in Port Harcourt.
He ordered the senior crime fighters of the state to unravel and destroy all camps operated by the vigilante groups and failure to do so would be an indictment on the DPO’s
He urged members of the public to report any illegal camp sighted anywhere in the state for prompt and adequate actions.
The CP said one of the major reasons it destroyed the illegal camp operated by OSPAC in Elele, was because of several human rights infractions. “The day police stormed his camp, on sighting the police, they (OSPAC) took to flights, as we speak, they have been declared wanted by the police,” we are appealing to the public to assist police with information that could lead to the arrest of Elele OSPAC Commander and his gang members”
The Rivers State Police image maker averred that some mobile phone numbers have been made available by the police authorities for discrete report, with a promise to shield the identity of those who come forward with such report that could lead to the arrest of the wanted OSPAC Commander identified as Fucking Naira.
“On that day when we got to the camp, we saw some persons who were unlawfully detained by the OSPAC at the illegal detention camp. he noted that the last time the police boss, Eboka Friday held meetings with leaders of OSPAC and vigilante groups in the state, he specifically told them that on no account should they operate illegal detention camps, but to work in harmony with the police.
“What they have done now is an affront to that directive”.
‘ As we speak now that Elele camp has been destroyed, and four persons detained for wondering or trespassing and other minor offences were freed having spent over one week in the illegal facility”
“Police is doing everything within its powers to uncover where the 17 Years Old boy, Chibuike Victor, a student of Jesus The Saviour International Secondary School, Elele, allegedly went missing while in OSPAC detention” .
A viral video on social media showed a young man expressing fear that the boy may have been killed, while his mother identified only as Anastasia, and called on the public to join in the search for her son.
The voice in the video said, “This young man is missing and may have been killed. His mother, Anastasia, needs our help to get his story out.” “He is 17-year-old Chibuike Nwokedi, an SS1 student of Jesus the Saviour International Secondary School, Elele in Rivers State. “It was said that he was expelled from school because he went home before the closing time around the Easter holiday period, and has been missing since then.
Omoni said the police was prosecuting two security guards of the school who handed the boy over to OSPAC and that one Alumeta Nnenna who linked the school security guards to the group, and one George Udom, were also facing prosecution.
he said the Arrest of the OSPAC commander at Elele Identified as Fucking Naira would help Police to solve the mysterious disappearance of the 17 year old.

By: Akujobi Amadi

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending