Sports
Edo 2020: Blame FG For Shut Down, Uncertainties, Shuaibu Tells Nigerians
The Deputy Governor of Edo State and Chairman, Local Organising Committee (LOC) of the ongoing National Sports Festival christened EDO 2020, Mr Philip Shuaibu, has said that Nigerians should blame the Federal Government for the interim shut down and uncertainties around the festival due to lack of commitment on their part.
Shuaibu said this yesterday while addressing Journalists at the Media Centre of the event.
According to him “the planned shutdown of the National Sports Festival is not due to non-preparation from the state government nor that the facilities are not up to standard but due to lack of commitment from the Federal Government, through the body language of the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports,” he said.
He pointed out that during the series of the postponements which cost them alot of money that the Minister of Youth and Sports made firm promises of financial commitment to them to alleviate their losses, this he said prompted them to engage some vendors and service providers, who are now on their neck for payment as agreed.
The LOC Chairman reiterated that if nothing concrete was done before 12 noon yesterday in terms of full commitment from the Federal Government, they would shut down Samuel Ogbemudia stadium complex which is the administrative hub and venue of some of the events and again if by 12 Noon today nothing is done, all the activities will be shut down because their contractors are threatening for their payment.
Shuaibu, who denied any political undertone lamented that his LOC is being kept in the dark as per how much has been approved by the Presidency which would have given latitude to use of the instrument and source for funds.
He also said that since the commencement of sporting events, there had not been any communication between his committee and the Ministry, thus giving room for suspicion.
Also yesterday, there was a statement from the Ministry of Youth and Sports quoting the Minister, Sunday Dare that the festival would continue as the LOC was not in possession of full information surrounding Federal Government’s commitment to the festival.
However, in another twist to the situation, the LOC in a release signed by the Project Manager, Media and Communications, Ebomhiana Musa, said that the Committee had decided that the games had to continue.
The decision followed an emergency meeting by the Committee to review the Presidential intervention over the threats to the festival.
According to the statement, “The LOC agreed that the Presidential intervention is a very strong and direct commitment which we must all respect, honour and take seriously. We strongly believe and respect commitments from the Presidency. We take them by their words. it’s a strong message to us that they’re strongly committed to redeeming their pledge to support us for the losses suffered, arising from the three postponements of the games”.
Sports
Amusan places third in Diamond League opener
The Nigerian, who arrived in China fresh from winning gold at the African Senior Athletics Championships in Ghana earlier on Wednesday, clocked a season’s best of 12.41s behind Olympic champion Masai Russell and Bahamian star Devynne Charlton.
Russell produced a dominant display to win the race in a meeting record and world-leading time of 12.25s, improving on her previous world lead of 12.40s.
Charlton, the reigning world indoor champion, finished second in 12.38s in one of her strongest outdoor performances to date.
Amusan, whose world record of 12.12s remains the fastest time ever run in the event, improved significantly from her previous season’s best of 12.84s set during her victorious outing at the African Championships in Accra.
The 29-year-old was competing in a stacked field that included reigning world champion Ditaji Kambundji of Switzerland, Jamaican pair Megan Simmonds and Ackera Nugent, China’s Wu Yanni and Americans Tonea Marshall and Danielle Williams.
Kambundji, who won the world title in Tokyo last year with a Swiss record 12.24s, finished fifth in 12.82s, while Jamaica’s Nugent placed sixth in 12.98s.
Marshall and Williams failed to finish the race.
Following Amusan’s victory in Accra, the three-time Diamond League final winner expressed gratitude to her supporters while insisting she remained determined to achieve more success this season.
“Beyond grateful to God, my team, supporters, and everyone who continues to believe in me through every season. Historic feeling. Still hungry for more. The mission continues,”
Sports
Falcons To Tackle Senegal in Pre-WAFCON friendly
The 10-time African champions are scheduled to take on the Teranga Lionesses on June 5 and 8 at the Remo Stars Stadium in Ikenne, Ogun State, in what will form a key part of their build-up to July’s continental tournament.
The fixtures were confirmed on social media platform X by Super Falcons Show, which announced the details of the encounter and venue.
“Nigeria’s senior women’s national team, the Super Falcons, will take on Senegal Women’s National Team in a double-header international friendly scheduled for June 5 and 8,” the post read.
“Both matches will be played in Ikenne, Nigeria.”
The friendlies come after Nigeria’s proposed training tour of the United Kingdom, which included a planned match against Jamaica, was cancelled due to scheduling complications linked to FIFA’s official women’s international window. The timing meant clubs would not have been obliged to release players.
With that tour shelved, the Senegal fixtures now offer a timely opportunity for coach Justine Madugu and his technical team to assess squad options, test tactical systems and strengthen team cohesion ahead of the WAFCON campaign and longer-term qualification targets for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil.
Senegal are expected to provide a competitive regional test, with their physical style and disciplined organisation likely to offer Nigeria a different tactical challenge across both matches.
The Super Falcons, who have dominated African women’s football for decades, will be aiming to use the double-header to fine-tune preparations as they pursue another continental title in Morocco next year.
Sports
Okpekpe Road Race Unveils Partners, Appoints Dr. Bojuwoye
Dr Bojuwoye, a seasoned medical professional with extensive experience in road running events across Nigeria, is expected to bring added value to the race through his expertise.
As medical director, his responsibilities will include overseeing emergency medical response, coordinating first aid stations along the course, ensuring athlete safety, and supervising medical volunteers and paramedics.
His role is critical in safeguarding the health of both elite and recreational runners, as well as spectators.
In addition to unveiling its new medical director, the organisers also announced five corporate partners for the 2026 edition.
The Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN), Petralon Energy, Razzl Drink, Dan Oil, and Carloha Motors have joined as sponsors, reflecting the race’s growing appeal across diverse sectors of the Nigerian economy.
The Okpekpe race, organised by Pamodzi Sports Marketing Company, has steadily risen in prominence since becoming the first road race in Nigeria to earn World Athletics label status in 2015.
It has since advanced to Gold Label Race status, attracting elite athletes from around the world and cementing its reputation as one of Africa’s benchmark road-running competitions.
Edo State, under the leadership of Governor Monday Okpebolo, has reaffirmed its commitment to supporting the race, citing its role in promoting tourism, community pride, and international recognition for the region.
Race Director Zack Amodu noted that the new partnerships underscore the event’s stature and its impact beyond sport.
We are delighted to welcome DBN, Petralon, Razzl, and Carloha Motors as partners for the 11th edition. Their support, alongside the backing of Edo State, not only strengthens the race but also reinforces its role as a platform for promoting excellence, youth empowerment, and community development,’ Amodu said.
Beyond its sporting significance, the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race has become a catalyst for social, health, and economic benefits.
It encourages fitness and healthy lifestyles, fosters social cohesion by bringing communities together, and generates economic activity through tourism, hospitality, and local commerce.
The event also showcases Edo State’s cultural vibrancy while contributing to Nigeria’s growing reputation in global athletics.
The 11th edition is expected to draw elite athletes, local participants, and international attention, further consolidating Nigeria’s place on the global athletics calendar.
-
Editorial3 days agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Education3 days agoUNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
-
Nation3 days agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy3 days agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Sports3 days agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
-
Politics4 days ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Sports3 days ago” Nigeria’s best domestic players are not in NPFL”
-
Politics4 days ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
