Connect with us

Politics

Gov Wike Receives Report On Police Brutality, Others

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, last week, received the report from the Commission of Inquiry that investigated Human Right Abuses, Police Brutality and Extra-Judicial Killings by the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS)  in the state.
Chairman of the Commission, Justice Chukwunenye Uriri (rtd) submitted the report, last Friday, in Government House, Port Harcourt. He disclosed that the Commission received 190 petitions, out of which, 82 were struct out for lack of due deligence or jurisdiction and considered 108 of them.
Uriri remarked that the police officers who committed the crimes agaist Rivers people especially, Mr Akin Fakorede and his cohorts do not have any affinity with the state.
Governor Wike who commended the members of the Commission for their dedication and set up a five-member committee, mainly lawyers, from the State Executive Council to study the report and determine the content of a White paper , which  would be considered in the next Executive Council meeting.
The Governor challenged the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioner of Police in the state to implement the White paper as a proof that Federal Government was serious about ending police brutality in the country.
Also last week, the Rivers State Executive Council approved the construction of two new flyover Projects in Port Harcourt City.
The state Commissioner for Works, Eloka Tasie-Amadi, who briefed journalists after the Council meeting, last Wednesday, said the two projects woul cost the state  N12.4 Billion .
The Commissioner stated that one of the flyover bridges is situated at the inter-section of Olu-Obasanjo and Port Harcourt Expressway popularly called, Waterlines Junction, while the second one is located at the inter-section of Olu-Obasanjo and Ikwerre Road, up to the Azikiwe Street in Diobu Area of the city.
The State Commissioner for Information and Communications, Paulinus Nsirim, remarked that the approval for the two additional flyovers was historic and had given further impetus to the urban renewal programme of the Wike administration.
Nsirim used the opportunity to announce the third phase of project inauguration scheduled to begin from the 1st March. According to him, list of the projects to be inaugurated would be made public in due course.
The Rivers State Chief Executive had warned that if the Nigerian Governors Forum went ahead to endorse fresh withdrawal of fund by the Federal Government from the Excess Crude Account, he would have no option than to contest it in court.
He questioned what happened to the $1Billion withdrawn from the account in 2017, on the stance that it would be used to fund the fight agaist Boko Haram insurgents in the North East.
Governor Wike declared his stand last Friday when the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, paid him a courtesy visit in Government House Port Harcourt.
The Governor said he would not support the plan for any fresh withdrawal unless Rivers State was given her 13 per cent share from the account.
Wike who reminded the Emir of Kano how his late father and other leaders in their time were strongly committed to peace and national unity,  expressed  regret that the present political and religious leaders were not building on such successes.
He accused heads of security agencies, particularly the Inspector-General of Police of politicising security by posting Commissioners of Police to the state on orders of a politician in the ruling party.
The Emir had earlier, commended Governor Wike for the protective and fatherly role he had continued to play in this turbulent times of the nation’s history. He equally lauded the Governor for the giant strides recorded in all spheres of governance and urged other leaders to emulate him. him.
The Senate Chief Wipe and former Governor of Abia State, Chief Orji Uzor-Kalu was among top dignitaries who visited the Brick House, last week. Uzor-Kalu who inspected some projects in the state, praised Gov Wike for the infrastructural revolution in the state under his administration.
He described the Governmen House Hospital as second to none in the country and also expressed excitement over the flyover Bridges, Mother and Child Hospital, Real Madrid Academy.
“ All the facilities I have seen here is first class”, he said, and admired Gov Wike’s payment of 70 per cent to contractors upfront.
Also last week, the Brick House landlord released the sum of N400million for members of Ekporo community in Eleme Local Government Area for the rebuilding of the community and compensation to families fatally affected by inter communal clashes eight years ago.
Secretary to the State Government, Dr Tammy Danagogo, represented the Governor at the event.

 

By: Chris Oluoh

Continue Reading

Politics

INEC Extends Candidate Submission Deadline Till ‘Morow

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the deadline for political parties to submit the list of candidates for the 2027 governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections from Saturday, August 8, to Tuesday, August 11, 2026.

The commission announced the extension in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Haruna.

According to INEC, the decision followed appeals by political parties for additional time to complete the submission process through the dedicated online portal.

“The submission window, which according to the revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, 8th August, 2026, has been extended to Tuesday, 11th August, 2026,” the commission said.

In a a related development, INEC announced the suspension of PVC collection in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election.

The commission said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced Permanent Voter Cards would have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.

The electoral body explained that the deadline was necessary to enable it compile data on downloaded PVCs and produce final statistics on the total number of cards collected ahead of the election.

INEC said PVC collection in Osun commenced at the Registration Area level from July 22 to 28, 2026, but was extended to July 31 following complaints about large crowds and difficulties experienced by voters at collection centres.

The exercise subsequently moved to the local government level and ran from August 1 to 7.

The commission also disclosed that replacement downloadable PVCs had been made available to voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas following the theft of cards during attacks on the two collection centres.

It stressed that the stolen cards could not be used to vote.

INEC reassured Osun residents of its preparedness for the August 15 governorship election.

“The commission reiterates that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

“INEC reassures the people of Osun State of its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive governorship election on 15th August, 2026,” the statement said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: INEC Extends Submission Deadline For Assembly, Guber Candidates 

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has given political parties three extra days to complete the submission of candidates for the February 2027 Governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections.

The commission said the deadline, initially set for Saturday, 8 August, has been extended to Tuesday, 11 August 2026, following appeals from political parties for more time.

INEC also announced that the window for voters who applied to replace lost, damaged or defaced PVCs to download their replacement cards will close at midnight on Sunday, 9 August.

The move is to enable the commission compile final PVC collection figures ahead of the 15 August Osun governorship election.

INEC said replacement downloadable PVCs have also been provided to affected voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas after hoodlums carted away cards from two collection centres, stressing that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

The commission reaffirmed its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive election in Osun State.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Yilwatda’s Birthday Outreach Demonstrates Leadership – Kefas

Published

on

The Taraba State Governor, Agbu Kefas, has described the medical outreach organised by the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, as a powerful demonstration of leadership and compassion.

Gov. Kefas made the remarks over the weekend at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Jalingo, during the flag-off of the second phase of the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach in Taraba State, organised as part of activities marking Prof. Yilwatda’s 58th birthday.

The governor commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing to mark his birthday by providing medical care to people in need.

“What Professor Nentawe did is a powerful demonstration of what leadership should be,” Gov. Kefas said.

He assured that his administration would continue to support initiatives that complement government efforts to improve healthcare delivery and the wellbeing of residents.

Speaking at the event, Prof. Yilwatda called on Nigerian leaders to embrace the culture of giving and use their positions to touch the lives of the less privileged.

He said his decision to celebrate his 58th birthday in Taraba State was deliberate and informed by the needs of underserved communities, particularly people who face difficulties accessing healthcare because of distance and financial constraints.

According to him, the intervention followed a needs assessment and was extended across the three senatorial districts of the state.

He said the exercise commenced on August 3 at Takum General Hospital and covered the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari; First Referral Hospital, Sunkani, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area; General Hospital, Bali; General Hospital, Gembu; and FMC Jalingo.

Prof. Yilwatda said the intervention provided medical services to thousands of beneficiaries, including people who required surgical procedures.

He said sustainable national development could only be achieved when strong institutions placed Nigerians at the centre of development.

“Leadership is about service,” he said, urging political and public leaders to make giving back to society an important part of their responsibilities.

He reaffirmed his commitment to serving Nigeria and its people, saying his personal vision was to make every day of his life useful to humanity.

“Every day that I live, the vision is: let it be useful to humanity,” he said.

The Taraba State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bordiya Buma, commended the initiative, saying it was consistent with the Renewed Hope agenda and efforts to strengthen healthcare delivery in the state.

Dr Buma said the second phase followed the successful completion of the first phase, which was conducted simultaneously in six local government areas, with two LGAs selected from each of the three senatorial districts.

According to him, more than 10,000 patients were attended to during the first phase, including people with medical and surgical conditions.

He disclosed that 327 general surgeries, 71 eye surgeries and 575 dental procedures were carried out during the exercise.

The commissioner expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach and thanked Prof. Yilwatda for supporting the initiative and choosing Taraba State as a beneficiary.

The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, also commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing Taraba State to mark his 58th birthday through a medical outreach.

Prof. Pate said making healthcare the centrepiece of the birthday celebration was significant because health affects everyone.

 

Continue Reading

Trending