Connect with us

Niger Delta

First Class Female Graduate Gets Bayelsa Scholarship, Employment

Published

on

Bayelsa State Governor, Senator Douye Diri, has announced automatic scholarship to Barr Ebizi Blessing Eradiri for her Master’s and Doctorate degrees in any university in Nigeria or abroad.
Miss Eradiri is the first female First-Class graduate from the Faculty of Law of the state-owned Niger Delta University (NDU), a feat she repeated at the Nigerian Law School.
This indication was contained in a statement sent by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Daniel Alabrah, and made available to The Tide.
According to the statement, the governor also offered Miss Eradiri automatic employment to lecture at the NDU Facility of Law after her further studies.
It said the governor made the offer of employment while formally receiving the young lawyer and her father, Mr Boloupaye Eradiri, at the Government House, Yenagoa.
Diri assured her of the state government’s support in advancing her educational career in any university of her choice anywhere in the world.
His words: “I hereby announce automatic scholarship for Barr. Eradiri’s Master’s and Doctorate degrees, which will not be restricted to Nigerian universities but any university in any part of the world.
“As a Visitor to the NDU, I also direct that she be given automatic employment to lecture.
“You have the support of your family and your government to fly higher because what you have achieved is just the beginning,” he said.
Diri, who also named Miss Eradiri as the New Face of the Bayelsa Girl Child, said the gesture is aimed at making her a role model for young girls in the state and the entire Ijaw nation to emulate.
He equally dismissed speculations, particularly in the social media, about his government’s choice of honouring Miss Nengi Hampson of the last edition of Big Brother Naija fame while refusing to recognise Eradiri as blatant lies.
“Today has brought to an end speculation, especially in the news media, about our refusal to honour Barr Eradiri while we have honoured Nengi of the Big Brother Naija fame. This is a blatant lie.
“It is unfortunate that everything has to be politicised. For us, education is our number one priority.
Diri, who expressed concern about politicisation of issues in the state, however, assured that his administration’s investments in the educational sector would remain a priority.
Describing Eradiri as an exceedingly brilliant and rising star, the governor congratulated her for making history in bagging first class honours not only at the NDU but also at the Nigerian Law School.
He also sought the Federal Government assistance towards the young lawyer’s development beyond what the state government can offer to enable her add value not only to her state but also to the entire country.
In his remarks, the Ibenanaowei of Ekpetiama Clan, Bubaraye Dakolo, said they were proud of the breakthroughs achieved by their daughter from primary to the tertiary level, saying that she deserved to be encouraged.
Dakolo, who described Eradiri as exceptionally good, said she had won over 50 laurels during her primary and tertiary education.
“Today, we are presenting to you Barr Eradiri. She collected every single prize that there was from her primary, secondary and university days,” he said.
Dakolo, who stressed that Eradiri deserved support both from the state and federal governments, however, announced the passage of her mother, Mrs Rose Eradiri, last week Tuesday.
In her brief remarks, Miss Eradiri expressed gratitude to the governor for the honour done to her, attributing her success to God and her exposure to good educational infrastructure.
The high point of the event was a minute silence in honour of late Mrs Eradiri.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending