Connect with us

Politics

Wike To Unveil More Legacy Projects

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike says his administration would unveil more legacy projects to Rivers people in the next few months.
Amongst the projects set for inauguration are the Mother and Child Ultramodern Hospital, the Real Madrid Academy and the Rebisi Flyover Bridge.
Governor Wike, who disclosed this last week to journalists after inspecting the level of completion of these projects assured that there would be a revolution of developmental projects in the state before the expiration of his second term administration in 2023.
“By the time we complete all the projects we have started, it will be amazing.
The Governor expressed satisfaction at the level of work on the Rebisi Flyover which he described as a master piece. He further disclosed that ninety-five per cent of work has been done on the Real Madrid Academy, while the Mother and Child Ultramodern Hospital will also be delivered before the end of this year.
Governor Wike was accompanied by the South South Chairman of the PDP, Chief Dan Orbih, Senator Olaka Nwogu, Dr Abiye Sekibo, Dr Chidi LIoyd, and other notable personalities, in the project inspection.
As secondary and tertiary institutions reopened last week in the state after months of forced closure caused by the COVID-19, Taskforce on COVID-19 Protocols Compliance set up by the state government, went round some private and public schools in Port Harcourt and it’s metropolis and scored the level of compliance high.
Chairman of the Taskforce, Ambassador Desmond Akawor, expressed happiness with the management of Ignatius Ajuru University of Education for installing screening machines and wash hand bays at strategic positions in the school.
Akawor who spoke through the State Head of Service, Rufus Goodwins also lauded the management of Jephthah Comprehensive Secondary School for their compliance especially for providing isolation centre for addressing cases of emergency.
The Rivers State Executive Council met last Friday and approved the immediate reactivation of the Kelsey Harrison Hospital and the Dental and Maxillofacial Hospital in the state.
Commissioner for Information and Communications, Paulinus Nsirim who disclosed this while briefing Government House Correspondents at the end of the council meeting said work would commence immediately at these health facilities which had for a long time remained dormant.
The Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice in the state, Prof Zacheaus Adangor said the council equally approved draft bill to give legal backings to buildings and facilities earlier renamed after prominent sons of the state and those from other parts of the country.
He mentioned the former Produce House at Moscow Road, renamed Chief Emmanuel Aguma House, Waterlines House at Olu-Obasanjo Road, renamed Chief P.G. Warmete House, the Judges Quarters at Elelenwo Street in the New GRA, renamed Emmanuel Chinwenwo Aguma SAN Judges Quarters and thers,
On his own part, the state Commissioner for Education, Prof Kaniye Ebeku said, council also decided that the Real Madrid Academy would commence academic activities from December 2020.
Within the week the Integrated New Customary Court Complex in the state was inaugurated.
The Olive Branch of Governor Wike to his political opponents paid off last week as another prominent political leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and former Commissioner for Health in the Rotimi Amaechi administration, Dr Sampson Parker, defected to the PDP.
Parker led over 2000 of his APC supporters to PDP on the day Wike was awarding contracts for more infrastructure in Kirikese Kingdom.
Also last week, Wike officially lifted the suspension he placed on the Chairman of Port Harcourt City Local Government Council, Hon Victor Ihunwo for collecting illegal levy.
In a similar development, the state government also lifted the curfew imposed on Bonny Local Government Area last week.

 

Chris Oluoh

Continue Reading

Politics

INEC Extends Candidate Submission Deadline Till ‘Morow

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the deadline for political parties to submit the list of candidates for the 2027 governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections from Saturday, August 8, to Tuesday, August 11, 2026.

The commission announced the extension in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Haruna.

According to INEC, the decision followed appeals by political parties for additional time to complete the submission process through the dedicated online portal.

“The submission window, which according to the revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, 8th August, 2026, has been extended to Tuesday, 11th August, 2026,” the commission said.

In a a related development, INEC announced the suspension of PVC collection in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election.

The commission said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced Permanent Voter Cards would have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.

The electoral body explained that the deadline was necessary to enable it compile data on downloaded PVCs and produce final statistics on the total number of cards collected ahead of the election.

INEC said PVC collection in Osun commenced at the Registration Area level from July 22 to 28, 2026, but was extended to July 31 following complaints about large crowds and difficulties experienced by voters at collection centres.

The exercise subsequently moved to the local government level and ran from August 1 to 7.

The commission also disclosed that replacement downloadable PVCs had been made available to voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas following the theft of cards during attacks on the two collection centres.

It stressed that the stolen cards could not be used to vote.

INEC reassured Osun residents of its preparedness for the August 15 governorship election.

“The commission reiterates that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

“INEC reassures the people of Osun State of its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive governorship election on 15th August, 2026,” the statement said.

 

 

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: INEC Extends Submission Deadline For Assembly, Guber Candidates 

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has given political parties three extra days to complete the submission of candidates for the February 2027 Governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections.

The commission said the deadline, initially set for Saturday, 8 August, has been extended to Tuesday, 11 August 2026, following appeals from political parties for more time.

INEC also announced that the window for voters who applied to replace lost, damaged or defaced PVCs to download their replacement cards will close at midnight on Sunday, 9 August.

The move is to enable the commission compile final PVC collection figures ahead of the 15 August Osun governorship election.

INEC said replacement downloadable PVCs have also been provided to affected voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas after hoodlums carted away cards from two collection centres, stressing that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.

The commission reaffirmed its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive election in Osun State.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Yilwatda’s Birthday Outreach Demonstrates Leadership – Kefas

Published

on

The Taraba State Governor, Agbu Kefas, has described the medical outreach organised by the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, as a powerful demonstration of leadership and compassion.

Gov. Kefas made the remarks over the weekend at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Jalingo, during the flag-off of the second phase of the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach in Taraba State, organised as part of activities marking Prof. Yilwatda’s 58th birthday.

The governor commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing to mark his birthday by providing medical care to people in need.

“What Professor Nentawe did is a powerful demonstration of what leadership should be,” Gov. Kefas said.

He assured that his administration would continue to support initiatives that complement government efforts to improve healthcare delivery and the wellbeing of residents.

Speaking at the event, Prof. Yilwatda called on Nigerian leaders to embrace the culture of giving and use their positions to touch the lives of the less privileged.

He said his decision to celebrate his 58th birthday in Taraba State was deliberate and informed by the needs of underserved communities, particularly people who face difficulties accessing healthcare because of distance and financial constraints.

According to him, the intervention followed a needs assessment and was extended across the three senatorial districts of the state.

He said the exercise commenced on August 3 at Takum General Hospital and covered the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari; First Referral Hospital, Sunkani, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area; General Hospital, Bali; General Hospital, Gembu; and FMC Jalingo.

Prof. Yilwatda said the intervention provided medical services to thousands of beneficiaries, including people who required surgical procedures.

He said sustainable national development could only be achieved when strong institutions placed Nigerians at the centre of development.

“Leadership is about service,” he said, urging political and public leaders to make giving back to society an important part of their responsibilities.

He reaffirmed his commitment to serving Nigeria and its people, saying his personal vision was to make every day of his life useful to humanity.

“Every day that I live, the vision is: let it be useful to humanity,” he said.

The Taraba State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bordiya Buma, commended the initiative, saying it was consistent with the Renewed Hope agenda and efforts to strengthen healthcare delivery in the state.

Dr Buma said the second phase followed the successful completion of the first phase, which was conducted simultaneously in six local government areas, with two LGAs selected from each of the three senatorial districts.

According to him, more than 10,000 patients were attended to during the first phase, including people with medical and surgical conditions.

He disclosed that 327 general surgeries, 71 eye surgeries and 575 dental procedures were carried out during the exercise.

The commissioner expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach and thanked Prof. Yilwatda for supporting the initiative and choosing Taraba State as a beneficiary.

The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, also commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing Taraba State to mark his 58th birthday through a medical outreach.

Prof. Pate said making healthcare the centrepiece of the birthday celebration was significant because health affects everyone.

 

Continue Reading

Trending