News
Lagos Denies Report On Minimum Age For Admission To JSS 1 …Says No Decision Taken Yet
The Lagos State Government has denied reports making the round especially on social media concerning minimum age for admission into junior secondary schools in the state.
According to a statement issued on Tuesday by the Office of the Commissioner for Education, Mrs Folasade Adefisayo, no decision has been made on the issue yet.
The commissioner said the issue, which was still under review in the Ministry of Education, had been a matter of great concern to the present administration.
In her words, “This is to affirm that the Ministry of Education has indeed received concerns from various stakeholders regarding this subject. As a consequence, meetings were held with various stakeholders with correspondence and minutes exchanged”.
Adefisayo disclosed further that subsequent meetings were also scheduled with various categories of stakeholders such as Executives of Private Schools Associations and Parent Bodies, Office of Education Quality Assurance, State Universal Basic Education Board, Lagos State Examination Board, All Nigeria Conference of Principals of Secondary Schools (ANCOPPS) and Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), among others.
Noting that the meetings had to be postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the commissioner averred that the state government will involve all stakeholders in the rigorous process of implementing the National Policy on Education in the state.
“The public is hereby assured that as soon as normalcy returns, these meetings will be held, and details of the State’s final position on the matter will be made available to all stakeholders, both digitally and in hard copy through the state media platforms”, she stated.
Adefisayo, however, pointed out that education is not only cognitive and that other aspects must also be given due attention and consideration in order to produce youths who will be able to function effectively in the 21st Century.
“Furthermore, the expected years of schooling at each level of education is entrenched in the National Policy on Education. The adverse effects of non-completion of the Primary School Curriculum and being rushed into Junior Secondary School before physical, mental, emotional and social maturity of children is well-researched and documented”, she stated.
The Commissioner also stressed the importance of not putting the cart before the horse, saying “As mentioned, we have outlined concerns on this matter and all issues raised will be discussed and due process will be followed before implementation”.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
