Politics
Wike Sets N10bn Target For RIRS
Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, has charged the Rivers Internal Revenue Service (RIRS) to grow the state’s monthly Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) to N10 billion.
The Governor set the new revenue target during the official flag off of Informal Sector Tax Drive with vehicles donated by Access Bank Limited, Thursday, at the Government House, Port Harcourt.
The State Chief Executive also announced that the state government would soon commence the operation of Treasury Single Account (TSA) to boost its revenue base.
He said: “ We will initiate the Treasury Single Account to block revenue leakages. I assure that very soon, the Treasury Single Account will become operational.
“ The Treasury Single Account will be implemented to checkmate what is presently going on. It is not good to have several accounts which lead to unnecessary leakages
“ Our revenue base fluctuates. The board has been directed to expedite action for the state to hit N10 billion Internally Generated Revenue every month .
Describing the drive for informal sector tax as key, Governor Wike urged the informal sector to support the state government by ensuring that they pay their taxes as prescribed by the Rivers State Internal Revenue Service
He thanked Access Bank Limited for supporting the revenue drive of the state with the donation of 10 buses.
Another major event in Brick House, last week, was the visit of the Amanyanabo of Wakirike Kingdom, Okrika and prominent chiefs of the area last Tuesday.
Governor Wike reiterated that the primary aim of his administration was to promote the interest of Rivers State and reassured that nothing could ever make him to mortgage the interest of the state.
“ Anything that will promote the interest of Rivers State is what I will do. You can be my sister state, if you want to take what belongs to Rivers State, I will not agree. I will not sell Rivers State “, the Governor stated.
He praised Okrika people for the role they played during the last election in the state, and stressed that Okrika people were different from some other people because what they say they would do, they made sure they do it.
“ In my entire political career, I have seen that when Okirika people say they want to do something, they will do it “, he said, and urged the monarch to use his position to promote peace and development in Okrika and to carry all interest groups along.
The governor further said that the state government would approach the Rivers State House of Assembly for amendment of the stool to read the Amanyanabo of Okrika as requested by the monarch.
Earlier, the Amanyanabo of Wakirike kingdom, Okrika, King Alfred Abam, had congratulated Governor Wike on his re-election and subsequent confirmation of his victory by the Supreme Court.
Noting that the reelection of Governor Wike was as a result of the outstanding performance recorded in his first term , the royal father thanked the state Chief Executive for officially recognizing his stool after a court judgement.
He appealed that the name of the stool be changed to Amanyanabo of Okirika, instead of Amanyanabo of Wakirike, Okrika.
Also last week , the Rivers State Governor extolled former President Goodluck Jonathan, describing him as a selfless leader and a beacon of light for the growth of democracy in Nigeria.
Governor Wike made the remarks as he joined millions of Nigerians in felicitating with the former President on his 62nd birthday celebrated last week.
He said the former president had continued to nurture the ideals of unity and peaceful co-existence and prayed God to grant him good health and divine enablement to continue to serve the nation and humanity.
By: Chris Oluoh
Politics
INEC Extends Candidate Submission Deadline Till ‘Morow
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the deadline for political parties to submit the list of candidates for the 2027 governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections from Saturday, August 8, to Tuesday, August 11, 2026.
The commission announced the extension in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Haruna.
According to INEC, the decision followed appeals by political parties for additional time to complete the submission process through the dedicated online portal.
“The submission window, which according to the revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, 8th August, 2026, has been extended to Tuesday, 11th August, 2026,” the commission said.
In a a related development, INEC announced the suspension of PVC collection in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election.
The commission said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced Permanent Voter Cards would have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.
The electoral body explained that the deadline was necessary to enable it compile data on downloaded PVCs and produce final statistics on the total number of cards collected ahead of the election.
INEC said PVC collection in Osun commenced at the Registration Area level from July 22 to 28, 2026, but was extended to July 31 following complaints about large crowds and difficulties experienced by voters at collection centres.
The exercise subsequently moved to the local government level and ran from August 1 to 7.
The commission also disclosed that replacement downloadable PVCs had been made available to voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas following the theft of cards during attacks on the two collection centres.
It stressed that the stolen cards could not be used to vote.
INEC reassured Osun residents of its preparedness for the August 15 governorship election.
“The commission reiterates that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.
“INEC reassures the people of Osun State of its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive governorship election on 15th August, 2026,” the statement said.
Politics
2027: INEC Extends Submission Deadline For Assembly, Guber Candidates
The commission said the deadline, initially set for Saturday, 8 August, has been extended to Tuesday, 11 August 2026, following appeals from political parties for more time.
INEC also announced that the window for voters who applied to replace lost, damaged or defaced PVCs to download their replacement cards will close at midnight on Sunday, 9 August.
The move is to enable the commission compile final PVC collection figures ahead of the 15 August Osun governorship election.
INEC said replacement downloadable PVCs have also been provided to affected voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas after hoodlums carted away cards from two collection centres, stressing that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.
The commission reaffirmed its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive election in Osun State.
Politics
Yilwatda’s Birthday Outreach Demonstrates Leadership – Kefas
Gov. Kefas made the remarks over the weekend at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Jalingo, during the flag-off of the second phase of the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach in Taraba State, organised as part of activities marking Prof. Yilwatda’s 58th birthday.
The governor commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing to mark his birthday by providing medical care to people in need.
“What Professor Nentawe did is a powerful demonstration of what leadership should be,” Gov. Kefas said.
He assured that his administration would continue to support initiatives that complement government efforts to improve healthcare delivery and the wellbeing of residents.
Speaking at the event, Prof. Yilwatda called on Nigerian leaders to embrace the culture of giving and use their positions to touch the lives of the less privileged.
He said his decision to celebrate his 58th birthday in Taraba State was deliberate and informed by the needs of underserved communities, particularly people who face difficulties accessing healthcare because of distance and financial constraints.
According to him, the intervention followed a needs assessment and was extended across the three senatorial districts of the state.
He said the exercise commenced on August 3 at Takum General Hospital and covered the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari; First Referral Hospital, Sunkani, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area; General Hospital, Bali; General Hospital, Gembu; and FMC Jalingo.
Prof. Yilwatda said the intervention provided medical services to thousands of beneficiaries, including people who required surgical procedures.
He said sustainable national development could only be achieved when strong institutions placed Nigerians at the centre of development.
“Leadership is about service,” he said, urging political and public leaders to make giving back to society an important part of their responsibilities.
He reaffirmed his commitment to serving Nigeria and its people, saying his personal vision was to make every day of his life useful to humanity.
“Every day that I live, the vision is: let it be useful to humanity,” he said.
The Taraba State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bordiya Buma, commended the initiative, saying it was consistent with the Renewed Hope agenda and efforts to strengthen healthcare delivery in the state.
Dr Buma said the second phase followed the successful completion of the first phase, which was conducted simultaneously in six local government areas, with two LGAs selected from each of the three senatorial districts.
According to him, more than 10,000 patients were attended to during the first phase, including people with medical and surgical conditions.
He disclosed that 327 general surgeries, 71 eye surgeries and 575 dental procedures were carried out during the exercise.
The commissioner expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach and thanked Prof. Yilwatda for supporting the initiative and choosing Taraba State as a beneficiary.
The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, also commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing Taraba State to mark his 58th birthday through a medical outreach.
Prof. Pate said making healthcare the centrepiece of the birthday celebration was significant because health affects everyone.
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
