Connect with us

Featured

Code Of Conduct: Appeal Court Orders Saraki’s Retrial – Senate President Reacts To Judgement

Published

on

The Appeal Court sitting in Abuja has upturned Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki’s acquittal by the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT).
The three-man panel led by Justice Tinuade Akomolafe-Wilson unanimously ruled that the Senate President return to the CCT to face trial on three counts out of the 18 initially slammed on him.
The court dismissed the remaining 15 counts and ordered the remittance of the three back to CCT for continuation of the trial.
“The court has evaluated the entire issues contained in this appeal and it is important to note that 15 out of the 18 count-charge are hereby dismissed.
“It is clear to the court that the appellant has failed to establish prima facie on those charges against the respondent.
“However, the testimony from Saraki’s banker and evidence of prosecution before the trial court did establish a prima facie based on counts four, five and six.
“So, in the light of this, these counts are remitted to the trial court for the continuation of the respondent’s trial,’’ she said.
The three counts border on the respondent’s purchase of No 17A and No 17B MacDonald Street, Ikoyi, Lagos.
Saraki had claimed that he acquired those properties from proceeds of sale of rice and sugar while serving as governor of Kwara State.
The Senate president’s testimony contradicted his banker’s who testified that the properties were procured through loans.
The Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) in Abuja, chaired by Danladi Umar, had discharged and acquitted Saraki on July 14 over allegations of false assets declaration.
His ground was that the prosecution failed to prove its case.
The tribunal said that the evidence against the Senate president was insufficient and wishy-washy.
According to Danladi, the defence was able to discredit all the evidences adduced by the prosecution during cross examination of witnesses.
The tribunal upheld the no-case-submission of Saraki, stressing that the evidence led by the prosecution was discredited under cross examination and therefore unreliable.
The CCT further held that no reasonable tribunal would convict a defendant on the evidence led by the prosecution through its four witnesses.
Days after, the Office of the Attorney-general of the Federation filed a notice of appeal.
After amending the initial charge against the Senate President, the Federal Government filed an 18-count charge bordering on false assets declaration.
The prosecution team, led by Mr Rotimi Jacobs, filed the amended charge on February 8 after trial had begun.
Saraki was initially standing trial on a 13-count charge of false asset declaration.
Meanwhile, the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has reacted to the decision of the Appeal Court sending him back to the Code of Conduct Tribunal to answer to three charges on false asset declarations.
Mr. Saraki said he is vindicated by the decision of the court to strike out 15 of the 18 charges levelled against him.
The Federal Government had appealed the acquittal of the Senate President earlier this year by the CCT.
The tribunal had dismissed all 18-count allegations of false and anticipatory declaration of asset by Mr. Saraki.
At its sitting yesterday, the Court of Appeal ruled that Mr. Saraki did not sufficiently answer three of the charges.
In a statement by his media aide, Yusuph Olaniyonu, Mr. Saraki said the decision of the court further proves his innocence.
“We noted the verdict of the Court of Appeal Court today in which it agreed with the decision of the Code of Conduct Tribunal that Senate President, Bukola Saraki has no case to answer on 15 of the 18 charges filed against him by the Federal Government.
“We believe that upholding the no case submission by Mr. Saraki with regards to 15 of the 18 counts charges vindicates the innocence of the Senate President. At least, today’s judgement has confirmed the position of the Tribunal that the prosecution’s case was entirely based on hearsay, not on any concrete evidence.
“The verdict of the Court of Appeal, just like that of the Tribunal before it, aligned with our position that the preposterous claims made during trial by the prosecution concerning operation of foreign accounts, making anticipatory declarations, collecting double salaries, owning assets beyond his income and failure to declare assets owned by companies in which the Senate President owns interests, among others, have fallen like a pack of cards and lack any basis,” Mr. Olaniyonu said.
The statement hinted that the Senate President would challenge the decision of the appellate court.
“On the remaining three counts, which really touch on two issues, referred back to the Tribunal for the Senate President’s defence, it should be noted that the Appellate Court only gave a summary of its decision today promising to provide the parties with certified true copies of the judgment soon. As soon as it makes the details of the judgement available, our lawyers will review the grounds of the decision and take appropriate action.
“We remain convinced about the innocence of the Senate President on the three (or two) counts because we believe the decision of the Court of Appeal is not consistent with the submissions made by both parties at the Tribunal.
Thus, it is our view that that aspect of the judgment will not stand.
“The confidence and faith of Mr. Saraki in the nation’s judiciary and its ability to dispense justice to all manners of people remains unshaken.”

Continue Reading

Featured

 We’ll Be Intentional In Our Support To Improve NYSC Scheme -Fubara

Published

on

Rivers State, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has assured members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) of his administration’s commitment to supporting and strengthening the scheme in the State.

Fubara gave the assurance last Friday at the NYSC permanent orientation camp, Nonwa-Gbam, Tai Local Government Area in the State, during the swearing-in ceremony of 2026 Batch B Stream II orientation course.

Represented by the Permanent Secretary, Cabinet Bureau, Office of the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Promise Oguzie, the governor said the State Government would remain intentional in providing the necessary support to improve the NYSC scheme and enhance the experiences of corps members deployed to the state.

He charged the corps members to be role models and quality nation-builders in their service to the good people of Rivers State in particular, and Nigeria at large.

“I charge you to be exemplary, dedicated and committed in all you do. Take full advantage of all the camp programmes and activities to enrich yourselves”, he said.

In his welcome address, the State Coordinator of NYSC in Rivers State, Mr. Moses Oleghe, urged corps members to see their deployment to Rivers State as a “veritable opportunity to make meaningful contribution to the growth of the State in particular and Nigeria at large.”

He further charged them to serve with all sense of “integrity,  discipline, and the fear of God, especially when they will be engaged as INEC ad-hoc staff that will conduct the 2027 general elections.”

A total of 3,584 corps members composed of 1,421 males and 2,163 females were sworn in by the Chief Judge of Rivers State, who was represented by Justice Godspower Aguma.

 

 

Continue Reading

Featured

Fubara: Nigeria Needs God-fearing Leaders To Make Progress  …Applauds Seventh Day Adventist

Published

on

Governor of Rivers State, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, says Nigeria needs God-fearing leaders for the nation to move in the right direction and make meaningful progress.

The Governor stated this yesterday when he received in audience, the World President of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, Pastor Erton Kohler; his wife, Andriene Marques Kohler; daughter Mariana Marques Kohler and a retinue of ministers of  the church at Government House, Port Harcourt.

Fubara who hailed  the Seventh Day Adventist Church for its contributions to education and the grooming of future leaders in Nigeria,  expressed delight  that the  Church had over the years,  been investing in education at various levels and currently runs two universities in the country.

He commended the church for not only using its  institutions to spread the gospel of  Christianity but to groom future leaders for the country.

According to him, religion should not be just about defending one’s faith, but also  making meaningful impact on the lives of the people.

He said that by floating these educational institutions, the church has demonstrated capacity to support Nigeria  in the task of producing not only educated people but a breed of God-fearing  leaders.

“Our country is where  it is today because we lack the fear of God. If you have the fear of God, there should be a limit to what you can do because you understand the supremacy of God. But when God is not in your equation,  you’ll go beyond the line and that is what has brought us to where we are today.

“So, I feel very happy that you are contributing to the development of our future leaders in this country. We need the right people being in the right place; prepared properly with good minds; that is what we need, not just in Nigeria but round the whole world.,” he said.

Governor Fubara further observed that the absence of God-fearing people in high places to take the right decisions that could impact positively on the society,  has also given rise to other problems such as social  inequality, poverty, corruption  and criminality. According to him, Nigeria needs a  system where the average parent could afford  quality education for their children and a  guarantee that upon graduation, the average  child  will have the  capacity to compete favourably with anybody, anywhere in the world.

“If we have a  situation where the little money that you’re being  paid as wage can also afford you quality healthcare and after working at least for 15-20 years, you have a roof over your head, tell me why you should be involved in any kind of crime? At that point, you’ll feel secured and this attitude of insecurity about the future that leads to all the social vices  we have today won’t be there,” he said.

Governor Fubara expressed appreciation to  the  delegation for the visit and for their prayers for Rivers State, assuring them of his continued support for their programmes in the state.

Leader of the delegation and World President of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, Pastor Erton Kohler said he was in Nigeria for a special conference of the church during which thousands of the church’s  ministers will  be undergoing  an  empowerment programme to further equip  them for the task of herding their flocks and serving the society.

He expressed gratitude to the Governor for the warm reception accorded his entourage, saying the memory of the visit will linger in his mind for a lifetime.

Kohler disclosed that the Church has over twenty -four million  (24,000,000) members and more than 182,000 places of worship,  spread across 212 countries of the world.

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Featured

Rivers Assembly Approves Fubara’s 2026–2028 MTEF

Published

on

The Rivers State House of Assembly has approved the 2026–2028 Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) submitted by Governor Siminalayi Fubara.

 

This reaffirms the lawmakers’ commitment to enacting laws and taking legislative actions geared towards the overall development of the State.

 

The Assembly gave the approval during its Second Legislative Sitting of the Fourth Session held last Friday.

 

Speaking on the MTEF document during plenary, the House Speaker, Rt. Hon. Martin Amaewhule, noted that by the provision of Section 10(1)(b) of the Rivers State Fiscal Responsibility Law No. 8 of 2010, the MTEF ought to have been laid before the House in September 2025.

 

Amaewhule explained that traditionally, the document is expected to be presented four months before the commencement of the next financial year and immediately after the expiration of every three-year fiscal cycle.

 

He, however, stated that in the interest of the State and its people, the House considered it necessary to deliberate on the document, describing it as a precursor to the 2026 Budget Estimates.

 

The Speaker expressed concern that the year had already progressed significantly before the presentation of the framework.

During deliberations on the document, members examined the assumptions and projections contained in the MTEF and observed that strict adherence to the outlined fiscal parameters would ultimately serve the interest of Rivers people.

 

The lawmakers maintained that effective implementation of the framework would promote prudent financial management and enhance developmental planning across the State.

 

Following the debate and positive consideration by members, the Speaker put the question to the House and members voted overwhelmingly in support of the approval of the MTEF.

 

Meanwhile, during the same sitting last Friday, the House also received a petition from the Chairman of Obio/Akpor Local Government Council, Dr. Gift Worlu.

 

The petition was presented by the member representing Obio/Akpor Constituency II, Hon. Emilia Amadi.

 

According to the petition, concerns were raised over an imminent security breach, threats to lives, destruction of property and alleged forceful takeover of property by some lawless persons within parts of the Local Government Area.

 

Presenting the petition before the House, Hon. Amadi appealed to the lawmakers to revisit the matter and take necessary steps aimed at safeguarding lives and property in the affected communities.

 

The House is expected to further deliberate on the petition and consider measures to address the concerns raised in order to sustain peace and security in the area.

 

King Onunwor

Continue Reading

Trending