Nation
THE STATES
Borno
The Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali, last Sunday, began a two-day assessment visit in the troubled North-East region.
Dan-Ali is billed to visit troops in the frontline of Operation Lafiya Dole, with a view to encourage and boosting their morale.
The media assistant to the Minister, Col. Tukur Gusau, told newsmen in Maiduguri that it was part of operational engagement to enable the minister meet and interact with the troops in the frontline.
Gusau said that the visit was also designed to appraise the performance of troops with a view to improving their effectiveness and capacity in the counter-insurgency campaign.
He disclosed that the minister would visit the Theatre Command headquarters and other military formations in the region.
FCT
Three persons, a male and two females, died in an auto accident on the Auchi-Okene axis of the Benin-Lokoja road last Saturday.
The spokesman of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), Mr Bisi Kazeem, confirmed the incident in an interview with newsmen.
Kazeem said that 50 others, including a child, were injured and had been taken to the hospital for treatment.
“A white Mercedez Benz Chisco paradiso luxurious bus conveying 82 passengers was involved in the lone accident.
“The crash occurred at about 4 a.m. at the sharp corner checkpoint on the Okene end of the road”, he said.
Kaduna
A Kaduna Chief Magistrates’ Court, has struck out a suit instituted by the police against a journalist in Kaduna, accused of incitement.
The police had dragged Mr Midat Joseph of Leadership Newspaper and one Yayock Eusebiuf to the court on a three-count charge of criminal conspiracy, inciting disturbance and injurious falsehood.
Joseph was arrested on April 19, 2017 and detained by the police over a comment on Whatsapp social platform group chat where he had contributed to a conversation.
The two were subsequently arraigned before the Chief Magistrate on April 21.
They had pleaded not guilty to the charges, but denied the three-count charge and the Chief Magistrate, Mr Emmanuel Bello subsequently granted them bail and adjourned the case to July 31.
Kano
Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State, has reiterated his administration’s commitment to national unity by insisting that the Igbo people residing in the state would not be allowed to leave.
Ganduje made this vow when members of the Igbo Delegates Assembly of the 19 Northern States paid him a courtesy visit at the Government House in Kano.
This development is in view of the recent ‘quit notice’ issued the Igbo by a coalition of northern groups.
“We will not allow you to leave, you are going nowhere and you have nowhere to go because Kano is your home.
“All Nigerians irrespective of ethnic or religious background must feel free to stay in any part of the country”, the Governor said.
Katsina
The Katsina State Government, has established nine pivotal teachers training centres to provide teachers with the required teaching qualification.
The State Commissioner for Education, Prof. Halimatu Idris, disclosed this at the closing ceremony of a two-day seminar for WAEC and NECO invigilators, on examination malpractice last Saturday in Katsina.
Idris, who was represented by a director in the ministry, Hajiya Rabi Barau, said that three centres were located in each of the three senatorial zones.
He said that teachers were selected from different parts of the state to benefit from the training offered by the centres.
The commissioner reiterated the state government’s commitment to boost the education sector and provide teachers with the required teaching qualification.
Kogi
The Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brig.-Gen. Sulaiman Kazaure, has called on corps members to be respectful, responsible and security conscious in the camp and places of their primary assignments.
Suleiman made the call last Saturday, when he visited the 2017 Batch ‘A’ Stream 11 corps members at the Kogi State Orientation Camp, Asaya, Kabba.
Represented by Mr Tijani Ahmed, the Director, Legal Unit, NYSC National Directorate, Abuja, the NYSC boss challenged corps members to behave well, show a high degree of humility and imbibe virtues of patience, self-discipline and morality.
“As corps members, we expect a very high morality and decency from you; you must maintain a high level of discipline in this camp, by showing respect to camp officials, and everyone in your host communities”, he said.
Kwara
The Kwara State Government last Saturday inaugurated a steering committee for Maternal and Prenatal Deaths Surveillance and Response (MPDSR) on ways to reduce avoidable deaths of mothers and babies in the state.
Inaugurating the committee in Ilorin, the state Commissioner for Health, Dr Atolagbe Alege, said that the committee would track accumulated data on notifications of maternal and prenatal deaths in the state.
According to him, there are no correct indices on maternal and prenata deaths in Kwara, and Nigeria as a whole, which makes it difficult to tackle such problems.
He said that standing focus was needed to discuss with the legislature on proper laws and adequate budgetary allocation for the committee to achieve its aims and objectives.
Lagos
A 24-year-old driver, Sefiu Oladokun, who allegedly absconded with his employer’s N144,000 was last Monday brought to an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court in Lagos.
The accused is facing a count of stealing.
The prosecutor, Sgt. Yomi Egunjobi, told court that the accused committed the offence on July 24 at Oke-Odo market, Abule-Egba, Lagos.
Egunjobi said the N144, 000 belonged to Oladoku’s employer, Mrs Ronke Olorunda.
“The accused was a driver to the complainant but ran away with his employer’s money,’’ he said.
Nasarawa
Governor Tanko Al-Makura of Nasarawa State last Saturday, presented a staff of office to the new Emir of Keffi, Dr. Shehu Chindo Yamusa 111.
The new monarch succeeds his father, Alhaji Muhammadu Chindo Yamusa 11, who died on December 4, 2015. He was aged 70 years.
A large crowd turned out to witness the ceremony that attracted governors, ministers, politicians, traditional rulers, among other guests.
Our corrrespondent also reports that there was tight security in and around the venue of the event, with dignitaries struggling through the excited crowd on their way to pay their respects to the new ruler.
Niger
The Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC), Minna, says it has recorded 66 cases of sexual abuse against children and teenagers in Niger State, in the last six months.
Its Medical Officer, Dr. Ekaete Umoh, told newsmen last Saturday in Minna that the victims were boys and girls aged between 12 and 15.
The officer said, however, that families of victims had often hindered the prosecution of offenders.
“`Families of victims have often stood on the path of prosecution officials. In some cases, they refuse to appear. When they choose to appear, they withhold information that is crucial to nailing the perpetrators,” she said.
According to Umoh, many parents or guardians of victims usually prefer to settle out of court, instead of allowing justice to take its full course.
Plateau
The Plateau State University, Bokkos, has dismissed reports claiming that it has raised fees.
“Recent reports claim that we have increased charges from N36,000 to N100,000; I want to state categorically that we have not increase the fees. The charges are still N36,000,” the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Doknan Sheni, said on Saturday.
Sheni, who met with officials of the university’s chapter of the Students Union Government (SUG), urged students to discard the “baseless rumour”.
“I want to assure you that no fee has been increased. The university has not even considered doing that,” he said.
He urged the SUG officials to relay the message to their colleagues to ensure that no one was deceived.
Sheni also reacted to allegations that he was siphoning the institution’s limited resources.
“I am not here to make money. I merely offered myself as a sacrificial lamb to salvage PLASU, which was in dire need of rescue when I took over as Vice Chancellor”.
Zamfara
The Jama’atu Izalatil Bid’ah Wa’ikamatis Sunnah (JIBWIS), an islamic foundation, says it has raised over N200 million as donations from muslims across the country for its ongoing Islamic Centre in Guzape, Abuja.
The Deputy Chairman, National Ulama Council of the organisation, Sheik Yusuf Rigachukun, disclosed this in Gusau when he led the delegation of the organisation on a courtesy visit to Zamfara Government House, Gusau last Sunday.
The state Deputy Governor, Malam Ibrahim Wakkala, received the delegation on behalf of the government.
Rigachukun noted that the project was awarded to CCL Construction Company, at N300 million in the last three years.
“We raised this amount in the first round through donations given by members of the organisation, well meaning individuals, and state governments across the country.
“The project comprises three storey building as women Islamic centre, Juma’at mosque, schools, offices and accommodations.
“We have finished the ground and first floors, we are now working on the remaining parts of the projects,” he said.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
Nation
REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product
Nation
Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians
-
News1 day agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Maritime1 day agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
News1 day agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News1 day agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
News1 day agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
Maritime1 day agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
