Nation
THE STATES

Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Saddiq Abubakar (left) and Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos during a visit of the Chief of Air Staff to Governor Ambode in Lagos, recently.
Adamawa
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared
Adamawa as a polio-free state.
The WHO Coordinator in the state, Dr Nuhu Ningi, confirmed this in a statement made available to newsmen in Yola.
Ningi said in the statement that Adamawa was free of Polio virus since 2009.
According to him, the absence of Polio in Adamawa was not a “mere chance” as speculated in some quarters.
“It is very unfortunate to describe all efforts of government and partners fighting against polio in the state as ‘mere chance occurrence’.”
“This statement by the Zonal Coordinator is unfortunate and absurdly lack scientific base,” Ningi said.
Bauchi
The Bauchi State Police Command, has confirmed the death
of two policemen and four civilians in an auto crash on Darazo-Bauchi road.
Spokesman of the command in a press release in Bauchi, DSP Mohammed Haruna, indicated that the accident, which involved a Vectra vehicle with registration number GJW 446 XA, occurred on April 13.
Haruna said that the vehicle, conveying two suspected kidnappers from Soro Police Division, had an accident at Dabe village in Ganjuwa local government area of the state.
He said eight other occupants of the vehicle with various degree of injuries were conveyed to Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital (ATBUTH) in Bauchi for treatment.
Ekiti
Farmers in Ekiti State have expressed worries over the delay
in getting assistance from the Federal Government to develop and expand their farms ahead of this year’s farming season.
Mr James Kupoluyi, the spokesman of All Farmers Association of Nigeria (AFAN), Ikole local government area told newsmen that the delay might have negative impacts on the current farming season if not addressed urgently.
He disclosed that the Federal Government in the third quarter of 2015, directed every farmer in Nigeria to register for a programme tagged “Nigeria Agricultural Payment Initiative’’ (NAPI), with the aim of assisting farmers.
“Many of us registered and have been waiting since then but have not got the assistance from the government to expand our farms.
FCT
The Consumer Protection Council (CPC) has solicited
stronger partnership with the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) for improved telecom services in the country.
The Director-General of CPC, Mrs Modupe Atoki, made the call when she visited the Executive Vice Chairman of NCC, Prof Umar Danbatta, in Abuja.
“There are certain complaints that we received and which we want to share and which we want to have this deliberation on a way forward to make sure that Nigerians begin to enjoy value for money.
“First is the quality of service, which every one of us here would have experienced one way or the other.
“It is still poor in spite of the effort that the NCC has put in, in streamlining their quality.”
Jigawa
The National Directorate of Employment (NDE) in Jigawa
said it would soon introduce a skill acquisition training programme tagged, “School to Work” for secondary schools students in the state.
The NDE Coordinator,, Malam Muhammad Sambo, announced this in an interview with newsmen in Dutse.
Sambo said that the programme was part of the directorate’s initiatives targeted at SS3 and JS3 students.
“The programme is already captured in our budget this year,” Sambo said.
He explained that the agency would use long vacation period to train them in various skills to make them self reliant.
Katsina
Funtua local government area of Katsina State had returned
230 cows and 22 sheep to their lawful owners after they were recovered from the rustlers by a joint security taskforce at Sheme village.
Alhaji Hassan Gambo, Head of Administration of the local government, told the gathering that the rustled cows were stationed in Funtua for 18 days after they had been rescued from the bandits.
Gambo said that the local government officials carried out all the required processes of cattle identification and clearance from the owners before they were handed over to them.
He explained that the identification was done in the presence of the District Head of Funtua, Alhaji Sambo Idris, security agencies and the leaders of headsmen association.
Lagos
A total of 25,781 candidates registered for this year’s
National Common Entrance Examination (NCEE) in Lagos.
Our correspondent reports that the examination was for admission into the 104 Unity Colleges across the country.
The Lagos State Zonal Coordinator, National Examinations Council (NECO), Mr Gbenga Olapade, organisers of the examination, said in an interview that a total of 115 centres were being used for the examination across the state.
Olapade said that there were additional four centres for this year’s examination, when compared with 111 centres used for the same examination in 2015.
Ogun
A 68-year old man, Sulaimo Akindele, has been charged
before an Ota Magistrates’ Court for allegedly damaging a fish pond valued at N4 million belonging to one Adetayo Olanrewaju.
Akindele, who lives at No. 23 Ogunyemi Street, Iyana-Iyesi, Ota, is facing a two-count charge of conspiracy and malicious damage.
The Prosecutor, Sgt. Ebibomino Itaita, told the court that the accused and others still at large, committed the offences on February 20 at about 11:20 p.m. at Odo-Pako area of Ota.
Ebibomino said that the accused and his accomplices unlawfully damaged a fish pond valued at N4 million belonging to one Adetayo Olanrewaju.
Ondo
A petitioner in a divorce suit, Mr Olusola Ogunleye, has
told an Akure Customary Court that his wife’s siblings advised him to divorce her because of her stubborn nature.
Olusola, who had been married to his wife, Funmilayo, for 13 years, and the marriage blessed with four children, accused the respondent of always threatening him with knives and broken bottles whenever they had misunderstandings.
He said that whenever there was any misunderstanding between them, his wife was also fond of destroying his properties.
Nasarawa
The Akwanga local government in Nasarawa State has
inaugurated a 17-man taskforce to remove illegal structures along major roads in Akwanga and its environs within two weeks.
The Sole Administrator of the council, Mr Kwanta Yakubu, said in Akwanga while inaugurating the committee that the aim was to ease traffic and ensure healthy environment in the affected areas.
According to Yakubu, the decongestion is to discourage hawking, trading and other illegalities on major roads.
“The aim is to make Akwanga clean, healthy, and peaceful for everybody.
“The high rate of congestion along major roads has become a source of concern and as responsible government, we cannot fold our hands and watch the situation,” he said.
Plateau
The Bishop of Pankshin Diocese in Plateau, Mr Michael
Gokum, has urged the Federal Government to be pragmatic in its policy and programme implementation and save Nigerians from the current hardship.
He made the call in an interview with newsmen in Pankshin recently.
“Times are hard and the people are really suffering; I hope God will inspire our leaders, especially the Federal Government to do something drastic and save the situation.
“Nigeria is so blessed yet the people are suffering because of the greediness of our supposed leaders, who are starshing billions of naira within and outside the country.
“The doctrine of putting the interest of others before yours is not being observed here in Nigeria because of lack of fear of God, ’’ he lamented.
Yobe
Yobe Government in collaboration with the Nigerian
Army has reopened the 132km Damaturu-Biu federal road, which was blocked three years ago by Boko Haram insurgents.
Our correspondent reports that the road, which was a major link between Yobe and southern part of Borno, was inaugurated at Buni Yadi.
Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, Chief of Army Staff, said at the occasion that the road was strategic to the economic well being of Yobe as it linked the state capital with many communities.
He said reopening of the road would boost economic activities of Yobe, Borno, Adamawa and Gombe State.
“This will also impact positively on the current military operations in the area by boosting the achievement of the troops,” he said.
Nation
RSG Hosts 2026 President’s Inter-SS Debate as Eight States Vie for National Crown
Eight states across Nigeria have converged in Port Harcourt for the 2026 edition of the President’s Inter-Senior Secondary Schools Debate Championship, hosted by Rivers State Government.
The three_days championship, themed “27th Democracy & 3rd Year Anniversary of President Ahmed Tinubu Inter-Senior Schools Debate Championship,” opened on Monday at Government Girls Secondary School, Rumueme, Port Harcourt.
The participating states are Ebonyi, Abia, Delta, Sokoto, Yobe, Kwara, Enugu, and host state Rivers. Each state is represented by its top debaters selected through state-level contests.
Declaring the event open, the Rivers State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, said the championship goes beyond winning trophies. He described it as a national investment in the next generation of leaders.
“This platform is for nurturing young minds,” Nwagor said. “It builds critical thinking, research skills, confidence, effective communication, and the ability to engage constructively with views different from one’s own. These are the very qualities upon which responsible leadership and nation-building are founded.”
The Commissioner commended the organizers, participating schools, teachers, and coordinators for their commitment to promoting intellectual excellence among Nigerian youths.
He urged the students to compete with confidence, discipline, and respect. “Debate is not merely about winning an argument,” he noted. “It is about listening carefully, reasoning with clarity, presenting your evidence with honesty, and having the grace to learn from others. Let the quality of your ideas and the strength of your character define your participation here.”
Nwagor assured the participants that Rivers State is proud to play its part in raising a generation that will bring bold and innovative solutions to the country’s challenges. He wished all teams a rewarding, memorable, and successful championship.
Earlier in his welcome address, the National Coordinator of the President’s Schools Debate Nigeria, PSDN, Elder Dare Oritu, called the event a “gathering of minds” drawn from different parts of the country.
According to Oritu, debate is about three things. “It is about _unity_. It brings us together from different schools and backgrounds to learn from one another. It is about _broadening the mind_. It teaches you to think deeply, to listen well, to ask ‘why,’ and to defend your ideas with facts and respect. It is about _preparing you for leadership_. The problem-solvers and decision-makers of tomorrow are in this hall today.”
He reminded the students that debate is not a contest of aggression. “Debate is _not a fight_. We challenge ideas, not people. It is _not about who is better_. And it is _not do-or-die_. We win with grace, and we learn with humility,” Oritu said.
The PSDN National Coordinator encouraged all participants to compete with integrity, speak with clarity, and leave wiser than they came. He wished them the very best throughout the competition.
Highlights of the opening ceremony included the official draw for debate matches, administered by PSDN officials. The pairings will determine which states face each other in the preliminary rounds as the battle for the 2026 national title begins.
Amadi Akujobi
Nation
NIIT Port Harcourt Graduates 61 Cybersecurity Students, Enrols 48 New Intakes
The National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT), Port Harcourt, has graduated 61 students from its six-month Cybersecurity training programme. The institute also inducted 48 new students for the new academic session during a brief ceremony held at its Port Harcourt centre on Monday.
Centre Manager of NIIT Port Harcourt, Mr. Precious Ogulu Tom, said the institute is always excited to induct students into cybersecurity because it is one of its flagship courses with strong international recognition. He noted that the centre’s performance has earned it high ratings from ICSS, adding that in the past academic year, more than 20 students passed ICSS certification exams.
According to him, beyond the NIIT certificate, which is globally recognized, students also proceed to ICSS and complete their courses without difficulty. He credited the faculty for maintaining standards and said NIIT remains the leading ICT training institute in Port Harcourt and Rivers State.
Tom said NIIT has a presence in all major cities in Nigeria and its headquarters in India, with training covering all areas of ICT. He added that every year the institute produces at least one first-class graduate in Software Engineering from partner universities such as Middlesex University and the University of Sunderland. He described the institute’s approach as practical and hands-on.
On fees, he addressed comments about cost online, saying quality training requires investment. “Does anything good come easy? Nothing good comes easy,” he stated. He explained that students receive industry-standard books and globally recognized certificates, and invited parents and prospective students to register with NIIT for value-driven training.
Also speaking, Principal Instructor for Cybersecurity and Ethical Hacking, Mr. Nyekwere TamunoTonye, said the cohort began in February with high expectations and completed the programme in six months. He said one notable achievement was that the class remained largely intact despite challenges, including system breakdowns and family issues. “At the end of this six months, we never lost anybody. That is the greatest. So, we give God the glory,” he said.
Nyekwere said students were exposed to multiple domains in cybersecurity and received strong practical training. He told the graduands that their real learning starts now and urged them not to relent. “This is no longer the time you go back to play,” he added.
He emphasized that the institute equipped them not only with technical and practical skills but also with character and a mindset for continuous learning. He noted that no institution, including Harvard or Yale, can teach everything, but good schools set the path, which NIIT has done.
He charged them to deploy their skills positively. “I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the EFCC tomorrow. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the police. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested,” he said.
Senior IT Counselor and Head of Sales and Marketing, Mrs. Igbigbari Vincent-Eretoru, congratulated the graduands for completing the programme and defending their presentations according to NIIT academic standards. She said certificates are awarded in character and learning, and urged them to be good ambassadors of NIIT Port Harcourt by applying what they learned.
Responding on behalf of the graduates, Class Section Head Tamunotonyesia Epelle said many came in with questions and uncertainty about specializations but left with clarity, confidence, and technical competence gained through practical assignments, teamwork, and the instructor’s push to avoid mediocrity.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
