News
Gunmen Kill Nine In Zamfara
The police in Zamfara State on Saturday confirmed that nine persons were killed at Fanteka Village in Daraga District of Maru Local Government Area when unknown gunmen attacked the community.
Confirming the attack to newsmen in Gusau, Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Sanusi Amiru, said the incident was a reprisal attack by the gunmen on Thursday.
According to the police spokesman, six of those killed were members of the community, while the other three were members of the gang gunned down by the villagers.
He said that a team of armed policemen have been able to restore peace to the affected area, while a combined team of security men were on the trail of the gunmen.
He, however, warned that the law prohibiting illegal possession of firearms was still in place and advised people against taking laws into their hands.
An eye witness, Sule Musa, told newsmen in the village that the gunmen had earlier on the fateful day invaded the community.
He said they were chased out by the villagers, who shot and killed three members of the gang.
Musa said the gunmen returned later on the same day with more men on motorcycles and shot arbitrarily killing six and injuring several villagers.
News
HYPREP Tightens Security At Project Sites
Following the rupture of the ground tank of its water facility in Ebubu Community in Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers State, the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has tightened security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
HYPREP, which dropped this hint in a statement signed by its Head of Communications, Dr Enuolare Mba-Nwigoh, said the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey had given the directive for security to be tightened across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
Mba-Nwigoh noted that the tightening of security across the project sites has become necessary to forestall interference with the facilities.
He further disclosed that following the rupture of the ground tank of the Ebubu water facility, a team led by HYPREP’s Director of Technical Services, Prof Damian-Paul Aguiyi has visited the scene of the incident to assess the situation, stressing that the water facility has been cordoned off for public safety.
The statement indicated that following the incident, HYPREP has henceforth barred non-project personnel and non-facility staff from gaining access into any of its active project sites in Ogoniland without authorisation.
While appealing to residents of Ebubu Community and the public to remain calm, the Head of Communications assured them that the Project is taking prompt steps to restore water to the community, saying, the cause of the unfortunate incident is being investigated.
He equally noted that the Chief Security Officer of HYPREP has been directed to immediately tighten security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
The statement said HYPREP is deeply concerned about the incident, stressing that despite the setback, the Project reiterates its commitment to delivering sustainable cleanup in Ogoniland.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
-
Niger Delta3 days agoBayelsa’s Aircraft Makes Inaugural Flight…As Lawmakers, Oil Minister, NDDC’S MD Hail Diri
-
Nation3 hours ago
Hausa Community Lauds Council Boss Over Free Medical Outreach
-
Nation3 hours ago
Film Festival: Don, Others Urge Govt To Partner RIFF
-
Nation4 hours agoOgoni Power Project: HYPREP Moves To Boost Capacity Of Personnel
-
Nation3 hours ago
Association Hails Rivers LG Chairmen, Urges Expansion Of Dev Projects
-
Rivers3 hours ago
UNIPORT Moves To Tackle Insecurity … Inducts Security Experts
-
Nation4 hours ago
Traditional Rulers Advise Khana Youths To Shun Politics Of Bitterness
-
Nation4 hours ago
Foundation Gives Scholarship, Working Materials To Pupils
