Business
Reps Mandate Minister To Submit Audit Of Missing $20bn
The Minister of Finance
and Co-ordinating Minister of the Economy, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, is expected to submit the report of the forensic audit on the alleged missing $20billion Wednesday, following a one-week altimatum issued her by the lower chamber of the National Assembly.
The House of Representatives had mandated the minister to forward the report to the house committee on public accounts for investigation.
Briefing journalists on the matter, Chairman of the Committee, Hon Solomon Adeola Olamilekan, said the report was expected to include Initial Draft Report, the Executive Summary and Management /Internal Control Letters.
He said the condensed version of the report released to the public through a press conference addressed by the Auditor-General of the Federation with the highlight that Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) should remit a minimum of $1.48billion to the Federation Account prompted demand for complete report.
“Given the weighty allegation of possible loss of $20 billion to the Federation Account arising from alleged non-remittance by NNPC through the Ministry of Finance, it is curious that the forensic audit was commissioned and appointment of auditors was made by the minister of finance, an indictable official, if allegation is proven, without the inovlvment or at least imput of the auditor-general, whose office is eminently and exclusivey empowered for the duty by the 1999 constitution”, he said.
“The report had been unduely delayed and its submission also side-stepped the auditor-general. It is a professional best practice that such reports first come in draft, discussed, finetuned before the release of the final report, usually accompanied by the more detailed management letter”, he explained.
Business
Association Seeks Intervention to Save Domestic Airlines
Business
CBN Reforms Impact Consumers As Dollar Card Spending Limits Rise
“Payment of tuition fees for undergraduate/postgraduate studies shall be subject to a maximum limit of $25,000.00 per semester,” the Manual states.
The expansion of international card limits also reflects growing confidence among lenders that foreign exchange liquidity has improved enough to support retail dollar transactions.
Speaking recently at the BusinessDay 14th Annual CEO Forum in Lagos, CBN Olayemi Cardoso, governor of the CBN said buying and selling activities now increasingly determine outcomes in the foreign exchange market, unlike in the past when market participants relied heavily on routine Central Bank interventions.
According to Cardoso, Nigeria’s net foreign exchange reserves have risen from just over $3 billion at the start of the reform programme to more than $40 billion, while gross reserves have climbed to about $52 billion, providing stronger confidence for investors and enabling the Central Bank to reserve interventions for periods of market stress rather than day-to-day liquidity management.
The restoration and expansion of international naira card spending limits are increasingly being seen as one of the clearest signs that the benefits of the CBN’s foreign exchange reforms are beginning to reach households, students and businesses making legitimate cross-border payments.
Business
WEC: FG Inaugurates Governing Board … As Nigeria Rejoins Council
The Secretary-General and Chief Executive Officer, WEC, Dr Angela Wilkinson, disclosed this in a statement, last Thursday.
“Nigeria’s participation comes at a pivotal time as the country seeks to expand energy access, strengthen energy security, accelerate gas development and mobilise the capital required for industrialisation and sustainable economic growth.
“WEC Nigeria will convene leaders from across the energy ecosystem, apply the WEC’s globally recognised Energy Trilemma framework to Nigeria’s unique context, and promote evidence-based dialogue, practical collaboration and informed policymaking.
“It will also ensure that Nigerian and broader African perspectives contribute meaningfully to global energy conversations,” she said.
Wilkinson expressed confidence that Nigeria would play a significant leadership role at the World Energy Congress scheduled for Riyadh in April 2027 and beyond.
The statement also quoted the Chairman of WEC Nigeria, Isa, as describing the country’s participation as an opportunity to deepen national and African leadership within the global energy community through practical solutions tailored to regional development priorities.
He said the platform would promote collaboration across sectors and attract sustainable investments into Nigeria’s energy sector.
The Chief Executive Officer of WEC Nigeria, Wunti, was quoted in the statement as saying that the council would connect leadership, evidence and investment to build a secure, affordable and sustainable energy system.
“This system will be capable of driving economic growth and shared prosperity.”
According to him, the platform will also connect Nigerian institutions and businesses with international knowledge, technology, partnerships and investment opportunities through the World Energy Council’s global network.
Recall that WEC, founded in 1923, is the world’s oldest independent and impartial community of energy leaders and practitioners, advancing informed, collaborative and practical action across the global energy system.
-
News1 hour ago2027: Adeleke Reaffirms Support For Tinubu, Calls Him Osun Son
-
News1 hour agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News1 hour agoOsun Guber: Probe Vote-Buying, Violence, SERAP Urges INEC, EFCC, ICPC
-
News1 hour agoArmy Intercepts Courier With 180 Explosives In Zamfara
-
News1 hour agoNiMet predicts three-day cloudy, thundery weather
-
News1 hour agoNigerian military raises alarm over attempt to hack X account
-
News1 hour agoPolice Arrest Fake Soldier, Others For Armed Robbery, Kidnapping
-
Niger Delta45 minutes agoSEEPCO Empowers 110 Army Wives With Skills, Business Training
