Connect with us

Niger Delta

Delta Safer, Calmer, Kidnapping Dropping –Army

Published

on

The Commander, 63 Brigade, Nigerian Army, Abdulmoshood Shonibare, says Delta has recorded notable improvements in security, with the state now safer, calmer and rate of kidnapping cases dropping in recent months.
Shonibare stated this while addressing Newsmen shortly after the Delta State Security Council meeting chaired by Gov. Sheriff Oborevwori in Government House, Asaba, Wednesday.
Shonibare said that the session reviewed the state’s security situation since the last ad hoc meeting and found that enhanced coordination among security agencies, traditional rulers, and local government authorities had yielded positive results.
“Delta State is calmer than it was a few months ago, and we can all attest to this. The cases of kidnappings have dramatically reduced, and cultists no longer have a foothold stated.
He cited a recent rescue operation in which two female students and a male student kidnapped in separate incidents, were rescued unhurt.
“The operation, conducted with the Nigerian Police Special Anti-Kidnapping Squad, led to the killing of two suspected kidnappers and the recovery of two AK-47 rifles, magazines, and 16 rounds of ammunition,” he said
The army boss disclosed that security forces have been intercepting fleeing criminal elements, including members of the proscribed IPOB group, who were attempting to hide in Asaba, Warri, and surrounding areas.
“Those who think Delta state is a safe haven should think twice. We are coming after them,” he warned.
On grassroots security, the Brigade Commander said measures were underway to tackle drug abuse and trafficking, describing them as major drivers of crime.
Shonibare noted that recent visits by senior military officers, including the General Officer Commanding 6 Division, Nigerian Army, Major Gen. E.E. Emeka, and engagements with the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in Delta, had strengthened anti-drug operations in Ughelli, Abraka, Warri, and other hotspots.
On his part, the State Commissioner of Police, CP Abaniwonda Olufemi, highlighted the police command’s achievements in collaboration with other security agencies.
“These includes the neutralization of several kidnap suspects, recovery of multiple firearms including AK-47, pump-action rifles and the seizure of ?5.7 million in ransom money from kidnappers,” he said.
Olufemi assured residents and investors of a peaceful festive season, noting that preparations for the ember months were already underway.
“Last year, Delta had one of its most peaceful Christmas celebrations. This year will be even more peaceful. Deltans can return home to celebrate with their loved ones without fear,” he said.
Earlier in the meeting, Gov. Oborevwori reiterated his administration’s commitment to infrastructural development, empowerment programmes, and strengthened security as the year draws to a close.
He assured that all necessary measures would be put in place to protect lives and property.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending