Nation
EFCC Vs Yahaya Bello: Court Adjourns To April 3 As First Witness Testifies
The Federal Capital Territory High Court, yesterday, adjourned the trial in the alleged money laundering case against the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, to Apriil 3, 24 and May 6, 2024.
Justice Maryann Anenih adjourned the case for continuation of hearing after the first witness, Fabian Nworah, a property developer, was called to testify.
When the matter was called for hearing, the Prosecution Counsel, Kemi Pinheiro, SAN, informed the court that he had five witnesses to call for the day. However, Justice Maryann Anenih said she could only take one witness, as she had other matters lined up.
The court also announced that it would not be sitting tomorrow (Thursday) as previously scheduled.
Counsel for the 1st and 2nd Defendants, Joseph Daudu, SAN, however, informed the court that the prosecution had not made the statements on oath of the 2nd Defendant available to the defense team.
He said he was aware that the 1st Defendant had not made any statement yet.
Daudu, SAN, also objected to the witness presented by the prosecution, arguing that the defendants had no prior knowledge of the witness and were only seeing him in court for the first time.
Citing authorities, he emphasized that legal proceedings should not be a “hide and seek” game, stating that the prosecution was required to provide the witness’ statements on oath in advance so the defense could adequately prepare for cross-examination.
“The statements of the second defendant have not been served on us to be able to know if we will be able to represent him or not.
“So, it is a serious handicap on us. They need to serve us all the statements made by the defendants.
“I understand the first defendant has not made a statement. Fortunately, we are still within the housekeeping stage of the proceeding,” he added.
Corroborating this, Counsel for the 3rd Defendant, Abubakar Aliyu, SAN, said, “Mine is not a comment but an observation, my lord. My application is for the court to order the prosecution to provide us with the statements of the 2nd and 3rd defendants.”
When the judge asked if he had previously requested the statements, Aliyu SAN said he discovered on Tuesday that the said statements were not part of the proof of evidence served on the defendants.
He stated, “I am also applying that the court order the prosecution to provide us with copies of the recovered digital device and the report or the extract therefrom mentioned on Page 14 of Volume 1 of the proof of evidence and the report of the forensic expert, if any.
“I am following the procedure followed in Okoye against the Commissioner of Police, which was adopted by the Supreme Court in Okemini Vs Comm of Police.”
The Prosecution, however, disagreed, saying the Defendants were trying to delay the speedy trial.
He insisted that the proof of evidence had been served on the defendants on November 27.
“The constitutional provision, which they rely on, does not imply that the prosecution should provide all the documents which it relies on.
“The law only provides that the prosecution should oblige the defense with all the documents requested for,” Pinheiro argued.
He noted that the issues would be addressed whenever they receive formal applications from the Defendants and urged the court to proceed with the business for the day.
“As it is, we have almost utilized more than an hour on these arguments,” he stated.
The judge asked the Defendant’s Counsel why he did not raise the issues in December.
Daudu SAN replied that it was because it had to be done after arraignment.
“I have applied and they are not obliging me. It is absolutely necessary for our defense,” Counsel for the 3rd Defendant said.
The judge, however, declined the application for adjournment and directed the prosecution to proceed with the case.
The Prosecution then proceeded to call its first witness, Fabian Nwora, a property developer with Efab Property Nigeria Limited.
Nwora testified that he was invited to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on February 8, 2023, regarding a transaction between Shehu Bello and EFAB Property concerning a property located at No. 1 Ikogosi Street, Maitama.
However, throughout his submission in court on Wednesday, he didn’t mention the name of former Governor Yahaya Bello.
He stated that he sold the said property to Shehu Bello but observed that the name on the sale agreement was Dr. Bello Ohiani, not Shehu Bello.
He said, in 2023, Shehu Bello approached EFAB Property, informing them that the property was under investigation by the EFCC. He returned all documents related to the purchase and demanded a refund of the N550 million that was paid.
Subsequently, he said, EFAB Property was invited by the EFCC to explain what transpired between them and Shehu Bello. The EFCC instructed the company to refund the entire sum to an EFCC-designated account. EFAB Property complied in two batches.
Since then, Nwora said he had not had any contact with Shehu Bello or Dr. Bello Ohiani until December 2024, when the EFCC summoned them to court to testify as witnesses in the case related to their transaction with Shehu Bello.
The court, after listening to the witness, adjourned the case to 3rd and 24th April and 6th May, 2025, for continuation of hearing.
Nation
RSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
Rivers State University and the Otonti Nduka Foundation for Values Education jointly hosted a two-day National Conference on 8 and 9 May 2026 to examine the state of values in Nigeria.
The two days conference held at Rivers State University convocation arena brought together academics, policymakers, legal experts and education leaders under the theme _“Trends and Challenges in Upholding Values in Nigeria.”_
The gathering focused on policy gaps, curriculum reform, and the role of ethics in public service and education.
The event opened on Friday with remarks from Vice Chancellor Prof. Chief Isaac Zeb-Obipi, who stressed the need to address declining moral and civic values across Nigeria’s education and public sectors. A book of abstracts for the plenary sessions was also presented to participants.
Key speakers included former Attorney General Chief Dr Kanu Agabi, SAN; NERDC Executive Secretary Prof. Shehu Salisu; Prof. Hauwa Imam, FNAE, of the University of Abuja; former Rivers SUBEB Chairman Ven Dr Fyneface Akah, ; former NIMASA DG Dr Hon. Dakuku Adol-Peterside; and RSU Director of ICT Prof. Sunny Orike.
Discussions centered on integrating values education into schools, tertiary institutions and public institutions, alongside the impact of technology on moral development among young Nigerians. Panel and plenary sessions produced practical recommendations for curriculum and policy reform.
On Saturday, the foundation marked its centenary with the unveiling of the book _Otonti Nduka in History_, launched by Chief Engr. Grant Offor, FNSE. The Nigerian Academy of Education held a ceremonial procession led by its President Prof. Olu Jegede and the Ikwerre Professors Forum.
In a communiqué, participants called for stronger collaboration between government, civil society and academia to mainstream values education nationwide. They recommended reviewing teacher training curricula and expanding digital platforms to promote ethical civic engagement, with the foundation pledging to share the outcomes with education authorities for implementation.
Dignitaries present included Ogbakor Ikwerre Worldwide as Chief Host, Prof. Emeritus Chief T. Uzodimma Nwala, the Ikenga 1 of Mbaise and first philosophy student of Prof. Otonti Nduka, alongside scholars and community leaders.
Amadi Akujobi
Nation
Shell, MAN Back Rivers’ Drive for Expanded Gas Supply to Industries
The Shell Nigeria Gas Limited, in partnership with the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, has reaffirmed support for efforts to expand gas distribution infrastructure in Rivers State as part of initiatives aimed at improving access to affordable, cleaner and more reliable energy for industries across the South-South region.
The commitment was highlighted during the SNG–MAN Business Forum held in Port Harcourt, where stakeholders from the industrial and public sectors examined the role of natural gas in driving industrialisation, boosting local production and strengthening energy security.
Speaking at the forum on behalf of the Managing Director of Shell Nigeria Gas Limited, the company’s Head of Gas Distribution, Mr. Chukwuka Amos Ejesi, described natural gas as a critical component of Nigeria’s energy mix and a key driver of sustainable industrial growth.
According to him, Nigeria’s gas development agenda has reached a stage where policy direction must be matched with practical implementation capable of addressing the energy challenges confronting manufacturers.
He noted that pipeline gas offers industries a cleaner, more dependable and cost-effective energy alternative capable of supporting uninterrupted operations, reducing emissions and improving production efficiency.
“Gas is the backbone of manufacturing, and we are encouraged by the growing recognition among stakeholders of the need for cleaner and more reliable energy solutions,” he said.
Ejesi stressed the need for sustained collaboration among energy providers, government institutions and industrial stakeholders to maximise the country’s gas resources for economic development.
He added that improved gas infrastructure would strengthen manufacturing value chains, enhance productivity and promote more competitive industrial operations across Rivers State and the wider South-South region.
Participants at the forum also emphasised the importance of expanding energy infrastructure as a pathway to unlocking industrial capacity, reducing operating costs and promoting sustainable industrial development.
Representing Governor Siminalayi Fubara, the Director-General of the Rivers State Investment Promotion Agency, Dr. Chamberlain Peterside, reaffirmed the state government’s commitment to partnering with private sector investors to revitalise industrial activities in the state.
He identified key projects targeted under the initiative to include the revival of the Ahoada Industrial Park, the New Port City project and the proposed Bonny Industrial Park, all aimed at stimulating economic growth and expanding industrial opportunities along the Bonny corridor.
According to the governor, the long-term vision is to position Rivers State as a leading manufacturing hub in Southern Nigeria through strategic public-private partnerships.
Governor Fubara also commended Shell Nigeria Gas and MAN for sustaining engagements geared towards improving industrial energy access, noting that gas infrastructure development remains central to the state’s economic recovery plans.
He further observed that the gas sector presents enormous opportunities for economic growth, especially as global energy systems continue to shift towards cleaner energy sources.
The governor called on stakeholders to work collectively towards developing a practical and sustainable gas framework capable of supporting the state’s industrial and energy development objectives.
Chairman of MAN, Rivers and Bayelsa Branch, Elder Vincent Okuku, described gas as indispensable to industrial operations, noting that many manufacturers continue to struggle with the high cost of alternative energy sources.
Similarly, President of the Port Harcourt Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture, Dr. Chinyere Ngozi Nwoga, said the transition to natural gas had become increasingly necessary for businesses seeking stable and cost-efficient operations.
“Pipeline natural gas provides a more cost-effective and reliable source of energy for industries,” she stated.
Also speaking, former Chairman of MAN in Rivers and Bayelsa States, Mrs. Emilia Akpan, stressed the need to align energy infrastructure development with investment in human capacity.
She maintained that rebuilding the state’s economy would require not only reliable energy supply but also the development of technical skills needed to support long-term industrial growth.
By Kevin Nengia
Nation
City Boy Movement Hails Onyesoh’s APC Primary Win
The City Boy Movement in Etche Local Government Area of Rivers state has commended Senator Allwell Onyesoh on his victory in the APC primary election for Rivers East Senatorial District.
Chairman of the group in Etche, Dr. Fortune Uchenna Obi, spoke to journalists in Okehi Ward after participating in Monday’s direct primary. He described Onyesoh’s emergence as the party’s candidate for the 2027 senatorial election as a reflection of the people’s will.
Dr. Obi said the senator has performed well during his first term and deserves re-election. He also thanked FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, leader of the Renewed Hope Agenda and Rainbow Coalition in Rivers State, for supporting Onyesoh’s candidacy. According to him, Wike’s backing was instrumental to the senator’s nomination, clearance, and victory at the primary.
He further praised voters in Etche and across Rivers East for turning out in large numbers at ward centers and urged them to sustain the support to ensure Onyesoh’s success in the January 2027 general election.
-
Editorial2 days agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation2 days agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Politics2 days ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Sports2 days agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
-
Politics2 days ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
-
Environment2 days agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
Sports2 days ago” Nigeria’s best domestic players are not in NPFL”
