Connect with us

News

NCDC Allays Fears Over COVID-19 XEC Variant

Published

on

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) yesterday allayed fears over the newly detected COVID-19 XEC variant reportedly in circulation in Australia.
The NCDC, in a statement, yesterday, noted that the National COVID-19 Technical Working Group continues to monitor and conduct analyses of surveillance data both internationally and across the country to guide public health response activities.
It also said in line with the emergency preparedness and response strategy, it has continuously upgraded and updated the strategies and capabilities for a quick and effective response; and a dynamic risk assessment/readiness assessment is being organised to guide in developing a plan of action.
The Federal Government, had through the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, urged health authorities to activate heightened alert systems in response to the newly detected XEC COVID-19 variant that is rapidly spreading across the globe.
XEC is the latest in a long list of past and current COVID variants being monitored as the COVID-19 virus naturally evolves.
This directive comes after the strain, first identified in Australia, has now been confirmed in 29 countries.
This was contained in a letter dated December 5, addressed to the Committee of Chief Medical Directors and Medical Directors, by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Head of the Teaching Hospital Division, Dr. O.N. Anuma.
The letter read, “I am directed to inform you of a newly detected XEC COVID-19 variant which has been reported in Australia and has already spread to 29 countries globally.
“You may wish to know that this variant has shown a growth advantage over other circulating strains, raising concerns about its potential impact on public health.”
Anuma emphasised the need for vigilance and immediate action.
“Alert systems should be immediately activated throughout our hospitals for high index of suspicion in patients with COVID-like symptoms,” he stated.
The directive also highlighted the importance of collaboration and timely information-sharing among health institutions and the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to ensure an effective response.
Medical professionals are also urged to enhance monitoring protocols and share critical data on the XEC variant.
“We request your committee to collaborate with all relevant stakeholders to share critical data regarding this strain and implement enhanced monitoring protocols.
“Timely information sharing among relevant stakeholders including the Federal Ministry of Health will be vital for effective response strategies,” he warned.
However, NCDS said there is no need for unnecessary anxiety or panic over the disease variant.
The Agency, in a statement yesterday, said, “The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention considers it necessary to make this statement to allay the fears created in the public space about the Covid-19 variant reportedly in circulation in Australia. The recent detection of the SARS-CoV-2 XEC sub-variant—a descendant of the Omicron lineage—has highlighted the ongoing evolution of the COVID-19 virus.
“For the information of our people, there are many variants of SARS-COVID-2 being monitored globally. Currently, the JN.1, classified as the Variant of Interest, is now reported in 132 countries, including the United States, India, Australia, the United Kingdom, China, New Zealand, Thailand, Canada, and Singapore, and Nigeria. A VOI is not yet deemed to pose serious risk.
“The XEC is a subvariant of JN.1 and has been designated as the Variant Under Monitoring i.e. being watched for potential concerns and not considered to pose a significant risk, and not yet meet the criteria for designation as VOI.
“There has been a reported rise in COVID-19 cases linked to the XEC variant, which has been detected
so far in 43 countries across different continents, Europe, Asia, North America, and recently in Botswana, Africa. Though the JN.1 has been reported in Nigeria since January 2024, the XEC variants, which are descendants of the Omicron lineage JN.1 are yet to be detected in Nigeria.”
NCDC noted that the JN.1 sub-variants are dominant globally and are the fastest growing among currently circulating variants of SARS-CoV-2.
It added that while the XEC subvariant has exhibited higher transmissibility as compared to other variants, it has not shown evidence of increased severity.
“The National COVID-19 Technical Working Group continues to monitor and conduct analyses of surveillance data both internationally and across the country to guide public health response activities.
“In line with our emergency preparedness and response strategy, we have continuously upgraded and updating our strategies and capabilities (surveillance, detection, stockpiling, training inclusive) for a quick and effective response. Along this line, a dynamic risk assessment / readiness assessment is being organised to guide us in developing a plan of action.
“Meanwhile, we urge all health facilities, both public and private, to increase the testing for COVID-19 on suspected patients. All positive samples are encouraged to be sent to the NCDC laboratory and other public health accredited laboratories for sequencing,” it said.
It noted that “COVID-19 remains a significant risk, particularly for the elderly, individuals with underlying chronic illnesses, those undergoing cancer treatment, organ transplant recipients, and individuals with suppressed immune systems,” it added.
The agency advised the public to continue to adhere to the basic public health safety measures and simple precautions such as maintaining good personal hygiene; covering of mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing or into a bent elbow, using an alcohol-based hand sanitiser containing at least 60 per cent alcohol if soap and water are not available; wearing masks; physical distancing; staying vigilant; getting tested; and getting vaccinated.
It encouraged healthcare workers to test patients presenting with respiratory or febrile symptoms; practice hand hygiene, use personal protective equipment, and follow hospital-based infection prevention and control measures to limit disease spread.
It also urged state governments and policy makers to promote public health campaigns to educate communities about preventive measures and the importance of seeking medical attention early.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers DPOs Receive Awards For Outstanding Performance In Crime Prevention …As Students, Media Group Honour CSP Worgu, CSP Yusuf

Published

on

Two Divisional Police Officers (DPOs) in Rivers State have been honoured by separate groups for their contributions to security, crime prevention and improved community-police relations in their respective areas of responsibility.

The beneficiaries are the DPO of Afam Police Division, CSP  Endurance Worgu and his counterpart at Oyigbo Police Division, CSP Bello Yusuf.

CSP Worgu was honoured by a group of students under the aegis of Rivers State Graduate Students Associations for what they described as his commitment and outstanding performance in the discharge of his duties.

The students, led by  Chidi John Enyie, Esq. said CSP Worgu was selected based on his track record and status as one of the longest-serving young DPOs of Rivers State origin.

According to the group, CSP Worgu has made significant contributions to the protection of lives and property in the area since assuming office following the #EndSARS period.

The students said they were particularly impressed by the improvement in community-police relations under his leadership, noting that professionalism had remained a key feature of his service.

Enyie represented by Comrade Briggs Soku, said the students community was pleased to identify with a Rivers indigene who had distinguished himself in the police force.

He said the students considered it necessary to encourage and celebrate CSP Worgu because of his achievements as a young Rivers man excelling in a profession that many people from the state were often reluctant to join.

Receiving the award at his office in Afam, CSP Worgu expressed gratitude to God and the students for finding him worthy of the honour.

The DPO said the recognition had boosted his morale and encouraged him to sustain his efforts towards maintaining peace and security in the area.

He said he least expected the honour, particularly because it came from the students, adding that the recognition would further motivate him to serve the people better.

CSP Worgu assured residents of Afam that the police would sustain the existing peace in the area.

He appealed to members of the public to support the police by providing credible and timely information, stressing that useful information from residents would make the job of security personnel easier.

Meanwhile, the Ikwerre/Etche Media Association has also honoured the DPO of Oyigbo Police Division, CSP Bello Yusuf, for his efforts in tackling criminal activities in the area.

The media group presented the award following the swift tracking and arrest of five suspected kidnappers who had allegedly terrorised residents of the Kom-Kom axis and other parts of Oyigbo.

The group commended CSP Bello for what it described as his determined efforts to restore confidence and security in the affected communities, particularly Kom-Kom and Obeama.

According to the group, the arrest of the suspects demonstrated the DPO’s commitment to tackling criminality and safeguarding residents.

The media association said residents had received the development with relief, noting that the police action had sent a strong message to criminal elements operating in the area.

Responding, CSP Yusuf appreciated the group for the recognition and reaffirmed that there would be no room for criminality in Oyigbo.

He also commended the media for its role in disseminating credible information to the public, saying the media had remained supportive of the police in the fight against crime.

CSP Yusuf warned criminal elements operating in Oyigbo to leave the area or be prepared to face the full weight of the law.

He assured residents that the police would continue to pursue criminals and work to dismantle their hideouts, regardless of where they might be operating.

Continue Reading

News

College Of Bishops Endorses Tinubu, APC Candidates  For 2027 Polls

Published

on

The 5000 Achievers Christian Forum and Colleges of Bishops, Archbishops and Apostles, a Christian interdenominational organisation, has endorsed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and all candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State for the 2027 general elections.

International President of the forum, Archbishop Lucky Aroh, disclosed this during the ordination and consecration of three new Bishops, as well as an award ceremony held in Port Harcourt.

Aroh said the performance of the APC-led Federal Government had endeared the party to the organisation, prompting the forum to declare its support for President Tinubu and other APC candidates in Rivers State.

He said the forum would support all APC candidates in the state during the 2027 elections and urged Nigerians to vote for the party.

Aroh, who is also the General Overseer of Caring Peoples Church, Port Harcourt, charged the newly consecrated Bishops to see their new positions as a great responsibility and dedicate themselves to the advancement of the kingdom of God.

He cautioned them against conduct capable of bringing their offices into disrepute, stressing that their activities would be closely watched by members of the public.

“As Bishops, the eyes of the public are on your activities. You must therefore conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of your calling,” he said.

Also speaking, the International Coordinator of the forum, Bishop Saint Robinson, urged the newly consecrated Bishops to work diligently towards winning souls for the kingdom of God.

Robinson, who was the guest speaker at the event, stressed that the activities of Bishops must at all times be guided by godly principles.

He also called on members of the church to support and cooperate with the newly consecrated Bishops in the discharge of their responsibilities.

The Secretary of the College, Apostle Elizabeth Ayadi Abaye, said the organisation was established to advance the kingdom of God and promote spiritual development.

According to her, the forum has organised several crusades, conferences, prayer meetings, ordinations, consecrations, enthronements, empowerment programmes and other spiritual development activities across the country as part of efforts to win souls for Christ.

Abaye said the organisation has members across the world and disclosed that more programmes had been scheduled to promote the spiritual development and wellbeing of humanity.

The three Bishops consecrated at the ceremony were Prince Alban Chike, Testimony Omenihu Shedrach and Prince Ifemena.

Among those honoured at the event were the Chairman of the Community Development Committee (CDC), Abali Community, Port Harcourt City Local Government Area, Manuchimso Prince Lemmy Wopara, and Clifford Oko Jaja, Coordinator of the 5,000 House-to-House for President Tinubu.

By: John Bibor

Continue Reading

News

Police Arrest Fake Soldier, Others For Armed Robbery, Kidnapping

Published

on

The Rivers State Police Command has arrested a 49-year-old suspected fake soldier, Andrew Atausi, and several other suspects in connection with various criminal activities, including kidnapping, armed robbery, cultism, one-chance robbery and the alleged murder of police officers.

The State Commissioner of Police, CP Olugbenga Adepoju, disclosed this in Port Harcourt, recently during a press briefing at the Command Headquarters, where he said the arrests formed part of the operational achievements recorded by the Command between June and August 2026.

Adepoju said Atausi was arrested on August 10 by police operatives along Ada George, Port Harcourt, while dressed in military uniform and driving a Toyota Hilux painted in Army colours.

The Commissioner said investigation revealed that Atausi was not a member of the Armed Forces, adding that he was suspected to be a serial car snatcher, with three suspected stolen vehicles recovered from him.

He said the recovered vehicles included three Toyota Hilux vehicles without registration numbers and a Toyota Corona Premio with registration number BNY 380 ES, noting that the chassis and engine numbers of the vehicles had allegedly been tampered with.

Adepoju added that an axe and military accoutrements were also recovered from Atausi, as investigation continued into the circumstances surrounding the vehicles and other items recovered from him.

On the June 29 attack on police officers at Aluu Division, the Commissioner said three members of the gang allegedly responsible for the incident had been arrested by operatives of the Violent Crime Response Unit, VCRU-AKU.

The suspects, identified as Maduabuchi Emeka, 34, alleged gang leader; Doctor Chinedu Owhor, 42, and Kamachi Joe, 28, alleged armourer, reportedly led operatives to their hideout at Omagwa where two AK-47 rifles stolen during the attack were recovered.

Adepoju recalled that two police officers were killed during the Aluu attack, while others were wounded and one officer had his leg amputated, stressing that efforts were ongoing to apprehend the fourth suspect.

On kidnapping, the Commissioner said five members of a suspected kidnapping syndicate were arrested in Oyigbo Local Government Area, adding that they allegedly confessed to operations in Kom-Kom, Railway, Obeama and Afam communities.

He said two other suspects from the same network, Anele Ogbogu, 35, alleged to be the gang’s armourer, and Kenneth Eke, 38, were arrested on July 27, with one AK-47 rifle and one SMG rifle recovered.

The Commissioner further disclosed the arrest of suspects in connection with alleged firearm offences, armed robbery, cultism and one-chance robbery, with firearms, ammunition and other exhibits recovered during the operations.

Adepoju assured residents that the Command would sustain intelligence-led, proactive and community-oriented policing in collaboration with other security agencies, while urging members of the public to continue providing credible information that would assist the police in combating crime across Rivers State.

By; King Onunwor

Continue Reading

Trending