Politics
PDP Warns APC Against Alleged Citizens Harassment Ahead Edo Election
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), on Monday, said the All Progressives Congress (APC) should be ready to face the wrath of the Edo people if it continues in its alleged violent attacks and harassment of innocent citizens of the state.
The major opposition party, however, reiterated its calls on the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to wade in and halt APC’s activities, warning that it was pitching the people of Edo State against the Police.
PDP further urged the IGP to ensure the immediate and unconditional release of every Edo citizen being detained by the APC.
The National Publicity Secretary of PDP, Hon. Debo Ologungaba, during a press conference in Abuja, said the party’s warning was on the backdrop of continuing attacks, harassment and illegal arrest of innocent citizens of Edo State by APC leaders in connivance with certain compromised police operatives.
He alleged that the attacks were part of APC’s bid to scare the people from coming out to vote and seize the opportunity to rig the September 21, 2024 governorship election.
Hon. Ologungaba claimed that APC and its candidate, Senator Monday Okpebholo, “have been desperate to use violence and harassment to break the will of the people of Edo State,” since it became clear that the PDP candidate, Dr. Asue Ighodalo, is coasting to a landslide victory with 68% of the expected votes.
He recalled that the PDP, on Monday, September 2, 2024 disclosed how the APC, in connivance with certain compromised security operatives, had been harassing, arresting and detaining innocent citizens of Edo State, notable among whom are Mr. Kingsley Osahon, who was arrested in Uromi; Mr. Odion Bright and Mr. Timothy Isibor, who were arrested in Igueben.
“On Wednesday, August 28, 2024, an attempt was made by the said APC-controlled operatives to arrest Chief Francis Inegbeniki, who recently defected from the APC to the PDP.
“Also last week Wednesday, September 4, 2024, the APC’s agent stormed the house of one Shina who decamped from the APC to the PDP three weeks ago and forcefully took him away while shooting sporadically to scare the people. On Tuesday, September 3, 2024, an attempt was made to pick Mr. Joel Aidamebor, which was firmly resisted by the people.
“There are reports in the public domain that the APC has established a torture squad which has been picking innocent Edo citizens and taking them to unknown destinations.
“Only yesterday, Sunday, September 8, 2024, thugs and hoodlums recruited by APC leaders attacked PDP rally in Edo North and destroyed campaign materials in an assault that was decisively resisted by our courageous members and supporters in Edo North, where our candidate, Dr. Asue Ighodalo commands overwhelming support and solidarity.
“This resort to harassment and violence only shows that the APC and its irredeemably empty and confused candidate are cowards who are intimidated and terrified by the soaring popularity of Dr. Asue Ighodalo across Edo State.”
Hon. Ologungaba added that PDP had information of how the APC and its candidate were importing thugs from Imo State, some of who curiously appear in the INEC list to serve as SPOs for the election.
“These APC thugs from Imo State should know that the people of Edo are already aware of their sinister plan and it will be in their interest to steer clear of Edo State.”
Reiterating its call on the Inspector General of Police to wade in and halt the APC’s activities, PDP said “The IGP owes a duty to the people of Edo State and the Nation, in the perseveration of peace and sustenance of democracy, to address this issue before it escalates. This is the only way to douse the tension in Edo State and reassure the people of a free, fair, transparent and credible election.”
Hon. Ologunagba however said APC must note that nobody has the monopoly of violence and that nobody was above the law.
“APC and its candidate are practically pushing the people of Edo State to the wall; they should know that there is a limit to what a people can stomach in the face of aggression and be ready to face the consequences if they fail to desist from these dastardly acts.
“The people of Edo State have had enough from the APC and will use every legitimate means allowed in a democracy to defend themselves by directly and physically confronting and resisting the APC in its desperate plot to derail the September 21, 2024 governorship election in Edo State.
“The PDP, as a law-abiding and applying Party that stands for the interest of the people. will not fold its hands and watch the APC harass the people of Edo State.
“Our Party will, within the ambit of the law, stop at nothing in contending with the APC, head-to-head in all ramifications, magnitude and force where necessary to protect our democracy and ensure that the Will of the people of Edo State is not subverted in this election.
“The PDP is standing shoulder-to shoulder with the people of Edo State in their resolve to protect their State and democracy and anybody, no matter how highly placed, who in any way attempts to subvert the Will of the people of Edo State in this election will definitely face the consequences,” the party spokesman added.
Politics
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
Rt Hon. Abbas secured the party’s ticket through an affirmation exercise conducted across the 13 electoral wards in the constituency.
The wards involved include Kwarbai A, Kwarbai B, Limancin-Kona, Unguwar Fatika, Unguwar Juma, Dutsen Abba, Gyallesu, Kufena, Dambo, Wuchichiri, Tudun Wada, Tukur-Tukur, and Kaura.
The exercise, which began simultaneously in all wards at about 10 a.m., recorded large turnout of APC members who gathered at various party offices across the constituency.
At Kwarbai B Ward, the Speaker’s ward, the process was conducted peacefully under the supervision of the ward APC Returning Officer, Malam Iliyasu Muhammad Balarabe, in the presence of Rt Hon. Abbas.
According to the ward APC secretary, Nafiu Sabo, the ward has over 10,000 registered members, but 220 members were accredited for the exercise.
Before the affirmation, Mallam Balarabe informed members that Rt Hon Abbas was the only aspirant who purchased nomination forms, underwent screening, and was cleared by the APC national leadership to contest the Zaria Federal Constituency seat.
Following a voice vote by accredited members, the Speaker was affirmed as the party’s candidate in the ward, a process replicated across the remaining 12 wards.
At the constituency collation centre, the APC Returning Officer for the House of Representatives primary in Zaria Federal Constituency, Dr. Hamisu Ibrahim Kubau, announced that 1,376 APC members across the 13 wards endorsed Rt Hon. Abbas as the party’s flag bearer.
He explained that although thousands of party members participated in the exercise, only accredited delegates were allowed to vote.
Dr. Kubau declared: “There are 13 wards in Zaria Federal Constituency, and only one aspirant purchased a form, was screened, and cleared. He is Rt. Hon. Abbas Tajudeen. After due process, we conducted affirmations across all wards.”
He added that the process was peaceful and monitored by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and party representatives.
Chairman of the APC House of Representatives Primary Elections in Kaduna State, Senator Yakubu Oseni, described the outcome as a reflection of the Speaker’s popularity and acceptance among constituents.
He expressed confidence that Rt Hon Abbas would secure victory in the 2027 general elections.
Speaking after his declaration, Rt Hon. Abbas expressed appreciation to APC members for reaffirming their confidence in him.
Politics
C’River APC Reps Members Cry Foul, Describe Primary Election As Charade
The incumbent Reps including Emily Inyang and Godwin Offionio, in separate interviews
protested the handling of the primaries conducted by the leadership of the party in the state, saying it was skewed against them.
The aspirants further described the primaries as a charade and an embarrassment to the state.
According to them, the House of Representatives primaries fell short of the provisions of both the Electoral Act as amended in 2026 and the party’s constitution.
They accused the leadership of the party in the state, backed by Governor Bassey Otu, of violating the party’s constitution in the conduct of the House of Representatives primaries across the state on Saturday.
Hon. Godwin Offiono, representing Ogoja/Yala Federal Constituency, particularly expressed disappointment with the primary that allegedly disenfranchised registered members of the party in his constituency.
Hon. Offiono asserted that having failed to arrive at a consensus, the party leadership opted for a direct primary to decide the candidate for the 2027 election.
“But what I witnessed today was not only alarming, but quite disheartening that our electoral system have not shown any improvement, especially now that we have a man of God in the person of the governor as the leader of the party.
“How do you declare a result by 9:00am even when the electoral materials were yet to arrive at Yala.
“As an aspirant, I couldn’t even vote or see the materials for my own primary at my Okuku ward in Yala Local Government Area, where I come from. But no matter what happens I am still in the race and have not stepped down for anybody.
“The governor had all the time in the world to drive the process of consensus but he never did. As a representative, I cannot even see my governor. I called, no response. I sent text no reply. I am treated as an out cast,” he lamented.
In an emotion laden tone during a telephone interview, Hon. Offiono further said: “I could not believe that first term NASS members like me can be treated in this shoddy manner even when I don’t know my offence.
“I have been a loyal party man. I appeal to the governor to do the right thing, follow the Electoral Act and party constitution in electing representatives.”
Similarly, Hon. Emil Inyang of Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency said he still remained in the race and had not stepped down for anybody.
According to him, “If this shenanigan called primary is allowed to stand, it would affect the party’s fortune in the general elections.
“My appeal to the governor is to allow the people to decide. And if they so voted against me, I will rest and not fight over anything.
“There was no stakeholders meeting held to decide on anything before now, and someone can not be unilaterally imposed on us all in the name of compromised primary,” he stated.
Politics
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
A coalition of support groups within the All Progressives Congress (APC) has protested the disqualification of former presidential aspirant, Mr Tein Jack-Rich, from the Rivers West Senatorial race ahead of the party’s primaries for the 2027 general elections.
The groups, in a statement issued on Saturday morning in Abuja, described the action of the party’s screening committee as unjust and capable of worsening internal divisions within the APC in Rivers State.
The statement, signed by the coalition’s National Coordinator, Dr. Bilal Galadima, and General Secretary, Hon. James Ogenyi, accused the party leadership in Rivers State of favouring politicians loyal to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Chief Nyesom Wike, while sidelining long-standing members of the APC.
The coalition alleged that only aspirants aligned with Chief Wike were cleared to contest for elective positions in the state.
“How can our party allow only one man who is not a member of our party to make decisions or dictate the direction of our party?”, the group queried.
The coalition specifically faulted the exclusion of Mr Jack-Rich, describing him as a loyal party member who had supported the APC for more than 13 years and previously contested the party’s presidential ticket.
It also questioned the alleged clearance of Chief Felix Obua, whom it described as a recent entrant into the party and an ally of Chief Wike.
“How can our party disqualify Jack-Rich, a former presidential aspirant who has been loyal and supported our party for the last 13 years, only for our party to choose Felix Obua, a Wike loyalist who only joined the party three months ago?”, the statement read.
The group warned that failure by the APC leadership and National Working Committee (NWC) to address the matter as it could weaken the party’s structure in Rivers State ahead of the 2027 elections.
It called on party leaders to uphold internal democracy, reward loyalty and ensure a level playing field for all aspirants.
INEC TO BEGIN MEMBERSHIP VERIFICATION AS POLITICAL PARTIES SUBMIT REGISTER
All 22 registered political parties have successfully submitted their membership registers to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in compliance with the Electoral Act 2026, the Commission has said.
In a statement issued on Friday, Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Mohammed Haruna, said the submission followed the extension granted by the Commission after political parties raised concerns during a meeting on Tuesday, March 24, 2026, regarding the timeline provided in the Revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2027 general elections.
He said, “The Commission is pleased to note that all registered parties submitted their registers as of 8th May 2026, two days before the extended deadline.”
He recalled that following a meeting with political parties, the Commission, in a statement issued on the 27th of March, 2026, adjusted the deadline for the submission of party registers from 21st April 2026 to 10th May 2026 to align with the provisions of Section 77(4) of the Electoral Act 2026 and the actual dates fixed by political parties for their primaries.
Mr Haruna noted that political parties were accordingly allowed to conduct their primaries within the approved period from 23rd April 2026 to 30th May 2026, while the register of party members was required to be submitted to the Commission not later than 21 days before the conduct of their respective primaries.
He added, “INEC wishes to state that all registered political parties complied with the requirement within the extended timeframe and will subject the submitted registers to the necessary verification processes in line with the law.”
The Commission restated its commitment to the conduct of free, fair, credible and inclusive elections.
-
Editorial11 hours agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Environment12 hours agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
Nation10 hours agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Hold Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
News16 hours agoFubara, Wife Hail Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Initiative …As Over 6,800 Families Benefit From Largesse In Rivers
-
Oil & Energy10 hours agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Maritime13 hours agoProducts, Others, To Arrive Lagos Ports Today — MPA
-
Oil & Energy12 hours agoSEED: FG To Train 6,000 Energy Professionals
-
Politics12 hours ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
