Niger Delta
Gov Eno Doles Out N1.5bn Interest Free Traders’ Loan … Launches Free Food Voucher Programme
Akwa Ibom State Governor, Pastor Umo Eno, has launched the free food voucher programme for the vulnerable and the neediest at the popular Itam market, located in Itu Local Government Area of the State.
Flanked by the Deputy Governor, Senator Akon Eyakenyi, the two Senators representing Akwa Ibom North East and South respectively, Senator Aniekan Bassey and Senator Ekong Sampson respectively, the Secretary to the State Government, Prince Enobong Uwah, and other top government officials, Governor Eno spoke of his government’s bottom-up approach, where the poor and the vulnerable would be assisted to “Arise and shine”.
The free food voucher for the vulnerable, is a key element of the Bulk Agency Bill that was signed to law a week ago, and the Board, equally inaugurated by the Governor, last week.
The key responsibility of the Agency, is to provide free staple food items: Garri, rice and beans, to the most vulnerable through the Social Register.
At the launch of this programme, Wednesday, the Governor was hailed as a leader with compassion, and the joy and happiness on the part of the recipients was palpable.
They prayed for the Governor and promised to stand by him, support him and continue to pray for the success of his administration.
“This is an incredible people-oriented programme. This Governor is truly a Pastor. Look at the Christ-like humility he has shown here.
“He is standing right there, supervising the distribution of the food items; he greeted and touched the recipients.
“This is rare to see in people occupying such an exalted office”, Honourable Anietie Eka, a political chieftain from Uyo Local Government Area, had observed.
Governor Uno Eno’s humanitarian acts are what has defined him. In his inaugural address on May29. 2023, he had clearly signaled the direction of his government: The need to bring governance closer to the people and have them be invested and take ownership in governance.
“To those who may not be able to put food on your table, I will be your advocate and champion”, he had said.
At the Itam market, he took bold steps to do exactly what he had always said, stating that, “When leaders are faced with daunting social problems, they usually think outside the box and that’s what motivated me to set up the Bulk Purchase Agency and the free food voucher drive initiative.
“We had reviewed all of the options, and this for us, remains the best. We are partnering with the market leaders and I want to thank them for the cooperation we have so far received from them.
“Let me repeat here that this is purely an interventionist act; the solution to our food security remains the need for us to go back to the farm.
“Yesterday, I paid an unannounced visit to a farm run by one of your young men and I was so impressed with what the young man is doing and we pledged to support him. I will continue to pay visits to farms run by both people in government and others”.
The highlight of the day’s event, was the announcement by the Governor of a 1.5 billion interest free-loans to Akwa Ibom traders to be managed by the Ibom Fadama Micro Finance Bank.
“I have heard of how some of you go to some places to get loans with very high interest rates and that has made the cost of food to go up, and before you finish paying the loans, you cannot meet up with your market or trading obligations anymore.
“I have come to tell you not to take such loans anymore. Consequently, we are releasing five hundred million Naira interest-free loans to each of the three senatorial districts (1.5 billion Naira in total) to help your businesses”, he said.
The Governor also promised to construct a car park, provide solar panel light, modern toilet facilities, all of which were the prayers of the leadership of the Itam Market.
He directed the Transition Chairmen of the remaining 29 councils ( Itu and Uyo Local Government Councils, having been covered by the day’s launch) to ensure they launch the free voucher food program by next Tuesday.
Continue Reading
Niger Delta
850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD
The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Niger Delta
Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects
The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Niger Delta
A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers
The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
-
Editorial2 days agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation2 days agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Politics2 days ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Sports2 days agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
-
Politics2 days ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
-
Environment2 days agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
Sports2 days ago” Nigeria’s best domestic players are not in NPFL”
