Education
Hundreds Of Pupils Missing After Gunmen Storm School
Hundreds of pupils are missing after gunmen attacked a school in northwestern Nigeria in the second mass abduction within a week in the country.
Local government officials in Kaduna State confirmed the kidnappings from Kuriga school on Thursday, but did not provide figures as they were working out how many children had been abducted.
The school authorities told the state governor that about 25 of the abducted students had been returned to their parents, but 275 remained missing.
The Tide’s source reports that about 175 of those still missing are believed to be between the ages of eight to 15.
Nigeria’s President Bola Tinubu on Friday directed security and intelligence agencies to “immediately rescue the victims and ensure that justice is served against the perpetrators of these abominable acts”, his office said.
Police did not provide figures for the abductees.
“As of this moment we have not been able to know the number of children or students that have been kidnapped,” Kaduna state Governor, Uba Sani, told newsmen in Kuriga on Thursday. “No child will be left behind.”
Idris Maiallura, the local councillor for Kuriga, said he had been to the school and that the gunmen initially took 100 primary school pupils but later freed them while others escaped.
Parents and residents blamed the abductions on a lack of security in the area.
The United Nations Children agency (UNICEF), condemned the attack and called on the government to do more to protect students.
“Schools are supposed to be sanctuaries of learning and growth, not sites of fear and violence,” UNICEF Nigeria Director Christian Munduate said in a statement.
The criminal networks can provide incentives to people within communities who do not feel supported by the government and are facing “hunger, starvation, poverty and unemployment”, he added.
Education
UNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
Education
Education Commissioner Seeks media collaboration in Rivers
The River State Commissioner for Education, Dr Peters Nwagor has called on media practitioners in Rivers State to deploy their various communication platforms toward promoting government programmes and policies aimed at achieving sustainable development in the education sector. Dr. Nwagor made the appeal when members of the Etche Ethnic Practicing Journalists (EEPJ) paid him a courtesy visit in Office in Port Harcourt. The Commissioner emphasized the strategic role of the media in shaping public perception, promoting government initiatives, and supporting policies capable of improving the quality of education and human capital development in the state. According to him, constructive media engagement remains essential in creating public awareness on educational reforms, students’ welfare, infrastructural improvements, and other interventions being implemented by the state government. Speaking on the recent appro
Education
IAUE holds 44th convocation May 8–9
-
Environment9 hours agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
Nation7 hours agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Hold Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Maritime11 hours agoProducts, Others, To Arrive Lagos Ports Today — MPA
-
Oil & Energy10 hours agoSEED: FG To Train 6,000 Energy Professionals
-
Environment9 hours agoNGOs Task Media On Investing In Climate Literacy
-
Environment9 hours agoNEWSAN Urges Investment For Water And Sanitation services
-
Education8 hours agoUNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
-
Politics9 hours ago
Primaries: Diri Lauds APC’s Unity, Cohesion In Bayelsa
