Connect with us

Niger Delta

Cultists Confess, Renounce Membership In A’Ibom

Published

on

Three members of two different cult groups, Black Axe and Iceland, Emmanuel Atangakak aged 32, Mfon Bassey aged 30, and Godwin Asukwo, aged 29, have renounced membership of their deadly cult groups.
The Tide’s source reports that the three repentant cultists took their decisions at the Mount Zion Mission Incorporated 2023 Annual Convention, held at Oron in Akwa Ibom State.
The 77th convention of the church is themed: “The Later Glory of this House shall be Greater than the Former”, taken from the Book of Hagai Chapter 2:9.
One of them, Atangakak, said he had lost valuables and his wife in the course of involving in cultism.
“Brethren I want to tell you what has happened in my life today. I want to let you know that this very gathering has done a great thing in my life.
“I joined cult group not knowing what I did to myself. Last month (November) makes it three good years that I have been a member of the deadly group.
“Instead of gaining anything, I rather lost valuables, including the wife I spent money to marry, which has caused me pains up till date”, he said.
He used the medium to appeal to those who were still members of the secret groups but pretending to serve God in the church, to shun the group, adding that there is no gain in it.
“Those of you seated here who are still members, please come out of it today. It’s satanic; there’s no gain in it.
“Please I am appealing that you also submit yourself to the spirit of God to change you as it has happened to me”, he advised.
Bassey, who was once a Choirmaster in the church, said he was not ashamed to stand before the church to testify the great thing that God had done for him at such a great convention.
“I don’t have much to say, I am here to appreciate God who has saved my soul.
“I was also singing in the choir as others but I was deceived and I never knew myself anymore since I joined the group.

“I have taken the decision to come out of it as I have been touched by the power of God at this convention ground.

“I am also appealing to those of you who are there to do same”, Bassey said.

According to him, he is a living testimony to what God has done in his life and has determined to do away with anything that has to do with cultism.

On his own, Asukwo, appreciated the Council of Apostles of the church for the great opportunity given to them to confess before the gathering of God’s people.

According to him, joining cult is satanic and it is vanity upon vanity.

“I cannot say how I found myself there. I have lost everything I had including my spiritual life. I thank God for saving me today because I am a changed person.

“As from today, I swear to myself that until I die, I will never have anything to do with it”, Asukwo stated.

Reacting, Bishop Efiong Amana, Deputy General Field Superintendent of the Church, thanked them for being bold enough to stand before the congregation for renunciation from the groups.

Amana appealed to the church members not to embarrass repentant cultists by posting their confession as they had already done so by themselves before the public.

Prayers were also offered to them by members of the church, even as the General Field Superintendent of the church, Archbishop Asukwo Okon prayed for God’s mercy and protection over their lives.
###

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending