Connect with us

Niger Delta

Obaseki Blames Global Inflation On COVID-19 Pandemic

Published

on

Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, has said the Corona Virus (COVID-19) pandemic which impacted the World three years ago, was responsible for the all- time high global inflation.
Obaseki stated this while delivering his keynote address on Friday at the 2023 Delta State Executive Council Retreat in Asaba.
The retreat has the theme, “Delivering the M.O.R.E Agenda for Advancing Delta: Strategies Enablers”.
The theme was aimed at ensuring that Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs) of Delta State Government align their programmes and activities with the State Governor, Sheriff Oborevwori-led administration’s policy focus.
Obaseki, who spoke on “Innovative Approach to Building a State that Works for the Citizens (Opportunities, Challenges and Prospects for Advancing the Delta State Economy)”, said the pandemic triggered the global inflation.
According to him, the pandemic of three years ago had driven global inflation to an all time high.
“Since the era of COVID-19, there has been a significant increase in use of technology and Artificial Intelligence in doing things. The effect on developing countries like Nigeria is frightening”.
He, however, warned that sub-national and local governments must work assiduously to deliver for the people.
Obaseki disclosed plans to buy back the state’s shares in the Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC), adding that talks were ongoing between Delta, Edo, Ekiti, and Ondo states to repurchase the shares.
On his part, Oborevwori assured of his administration’s commitment to ensuring excellence, process-driven and result-oriented governance for the people of the state.
He said the strategic imperatives of the M.O.R.E agenda have been distilled into deliverables that can be measured, tracked, and reported.
“These key performance indicators will enable us to measure our progress as an administration based on established timelines and benchmarks for success.
“This will in turn enable efficiency of government, enhance performance, hold the MDAs accountable, and promote judicious utilization of resources.
“It is my earnest expectation that this forum will provide the pathway for us to deliver on the promises of the M.O.R.E agenda.
“Through fiscal responsibility, synergy among the MDAs, robust community engagement, effective public communication, creative execution of programmes, and excellent service delivery”, he said.
Oborevwori continued that a key component of his administration’s policy thrust was to ensure a credible feedback mechanism.
“For us to achieve our stated goals, MDAs must constantly monitor the progress of projects under their jurisdiction and formulate a mechanism for feedback and evaluation.
“As evidenced from the projects that we have so far completed and embarked upon, this administration is process-driven, result-oriented, and excellence-inclined.
“Indeed, we are poised to advance the state into an era that will accelerate the realization of its full potentials through the M.O.R.E agenda.
“Towards this end, the Commissioners are expected to sign a Performance Bond at the end of this retreat.

“This is not meant to scare anybody. It is to serve as a motivation to stay focused on the deliverables that have been established.

“As I stated in my inauguration speech, the M.O.R.E agenda is designed to foster inclusive and sustainable economic growth and private sector job creation.

“Also to strengthen the human capital, build an enabling infrastructure, bolster public financial management, and improve governance and accountability systems for improved service delivery.

“The issues before us are simple: they are about improving the quality of life of our people, about building bridges of social cohesion, about giving our people hope of a better tomorrow, and about accelerated development.

“To effectively achieve this target, it demands thought and action from me and all those who have the privilege to serve as elected officials, political appointees, or civil servants”, he said.

Earlier, the Delta State Deputy Governor, Sir Monday Onyeme, thanked the Governor for organizing the retreat, adding that it would give participants insight into the philosophy and clear vision of the Agenda.

Onyeme said there was a new Sheriff in town whose agenda was geared towards reshaping the tools of governance for greater efficiency as encapsulated in his M.O.R.E agenda.

He urged participants to do things differently.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending