Politics
Tinubu Appoints Onuoha Rivers REC, Eight Others …As INEC Restates Readiness For Imo, Kogi, Bayelsa Polls
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved the appointment of Dr Anugbum Onuoha as the new Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) for Rivers State.
Dr Onuoha is among eight other Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) the President appointed for the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for a term of five years each, subject to the confirmation of the Senate.
Presidential spokesman, Ajuri Ngelale, in a statement on Wednesday, said the appointment was done based on the powers vested in the President by Section 154 (1) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (1999, as Amended) and Section 6 of the Electoral Act (2022).
The appointees include Mr Isah Shaka Ehimeakne, Edo State Resident Electoral Commissioner; Mr Bamidele Agbede, Ekiti State Resident Electoral Commissioner; Mr Jani Adamu Bello, Gombe State Resident Electoral Commissioner; and Dr Taiye Ilayasu, Kwara State Resident Electoral Commissioner.
Others are Dr Bunmi Omoseyindemi, Lagos State Resident Electoral Commissioner; Alhaji Yahaya Bello, Nasarawa State Resident Electoral Commissioner; Prof. Mohammed Yalwa, Niger State Resident Electoral Commissioner; Dr Anugbum Onuoha, Rivers State Resident Electoral Commissioner; and Mr Abubakar Fawa Dambo, Zamfara State Resident Electoral Commissioner.
“President Tinubu expects the new appointees to abide by the highest standards of professional and ethical conduct in the discharge of their duties, in accordance with his determination to facilitate the establishment of a new and sustainable standard of transparent, fair and conflict-free electoral conduct in Nigeria,” the statement added.
Meanwhile, the commission has said that this year’s November 11 governorship elections in Bayelsa, Kogi and Imo states are critical to it.
The Chairman of INEC, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, said this on Wednesday in Abuja at the quarterly consultative meeting with civil society organisations (CSOs).
”Bayelsa, Imo and Kogi governorship elections are critical to the commission. As you are aware, the commission conducted a mock accreditation involving actual voters in designated polling units in Bayelsa, Imo and Kogi states two weeks ago.
“By doing so, we tested the efficacy of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) for both biometric authentication of voters and the upload of results to the INEC Result Viewing Portal (IReV).
“Some of you observed the mock accreditation exercise and viewed the results on the IReV portal. We have received no adverse report so far. By this, we are encouraged that the test was successful, and we look forward to improved performance of the BVAS in voter accreditation and result upload in the forthcoming governorship elections and beyond,” Yakubu said.
He also noted that many of the CSOs were deploying teams of observers for the three elections and that overall, INEC has accredited 145 organisations deploying 7,896 observers, whose accredited organisations would soon be invited to collect the identity cards for their observers.
“Similarly, CSOs have on several occasions urged the commission to intercede with the security agencies to grant you unimpeded access to voting and collation locations. I want to reassure you that we will continue to do so as we engage with the security agencies both at the national level and in the three states.
“At the same time, I wish to remind all accredited observers to strictly adhere to the code of conduct for election observation,” the INEC boss said.
Responding on behalf of the CSOs, the Director of Justice and Equity Organisation (JEO), Mr Funsho Tunde, said they have some concerns pertaining to the election coverage and are glad that efforts are being made by INEC to ensure the polls are free, fair,credible and that observers are provided with adequate security.
Politics
INEC Extends Candidate Submission Deadline Till ‘Morow
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the deadline for political parties to submit the list of candidates for the 2027 governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections from Saturday, August 8, to Tuesday, August 11, 2026.
The commission announced the extension in a statement issued on Saturday and signed by the National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Haruna.
According to INEC, the decision followed appeals by political parties for additional time to complete the submission process through the dedicated online portal.
“The submission window, which according to the revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, 8th August, 2026, has been extended to Tuesday, 11th August, 2026,” the commission said.
In a a related development, INEC announced the suspension of PVC collection in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election.
The commission said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced Permanent Voter Cards would have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.
The electoral body explained that the deadline was necessary to enable it compile data on downloaded PVCs and produce final statistics on the total number of cards collected ahead of the election.
INEC said PVC collection in Osun commenced at the Registration Area level from July 22 to 28, 2026, but was extended to July 31 following complaints about large crowds and difficulties experienced by voters at collection centres.
The exercise subsequently moved to the local government level and ran from August 1 to 7.
The commission also disclosed that replacement downloadable PVCs had been made available to voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas following the theft of cards during attacks on the two collection centres.
It stressed that the stolen cards could not be used to vote.
INEC reassured Osun residents of its preparedness for the August 15 governorship election.
“The commission reiterates that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.
“INEC reassures the people of Osun State of its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive governorship election on 15th August, 2026,” the statement said.
Politics
2027: INEC Extends Submission Deadline For Assembly, Guber Candidates
The commission said the deadline, initially set for Saturday, 8 August, has been extended to Tuesday, 11 August 2026, following appeals from political parties for more time.
INEC also announced that the window for voters who applied to replace lost, damaged or defaced PVCs to download their replacement cards will close at midnight on Sunday, 9 August.
The move is to enable the commission compile final PVC collection figures ahead of the 15 August Osun governorship election.
INEC said replacement downloadable PVCs have also been provided to affected voters in Odo-Otin and Ife Central Local Government Areas after hoodlums carted away cards from two collection centres, stressing that the stolen cards cannot be used to vote.
The commission reaffirmed its readiness to conduct a free, fair, credible and inclusive election in Osun State.
Politics
Yilwatda’s Birthday Outreach Demonstrates Leadership – Kefas
Gov. Kefas made the remarks over the weekend at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Jalingo, during the flag-off of the second phase of the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach in Taraba State, organised as part of activities marking Prof. Yilwatda’s 58th birthday.
The governor commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing to mark his birthday by providing medical care to people in need.
“What Professor Nentawe did is a powerful demonstration of what leadership should be,” Gov. Kefas said.
He assured that his administration would continue to support initiatives that complement government efforts to improve healthcare delivery and the wellbeing of residents.
Speaking at the event, Prof. Yilwatda called on Nigerian leaders to embrace the culture of giving and use their positions to touch the lives of the less privileged.
He said his decision to celebrate his 58th birthday in Taraba State was deliberate and informed by the needs of underserved communities, particularly people who face difficulties accessing healthcare because of distance and financial constraints.
According to him, the intervention followed a needs assessment and was extended across the three senatorial districts of the state.
He said the exercise commenced on August 3 at Takum General Hospital and covered the Federal University Teaching Hospital, Wukari; First Referral Hospital, Sunkani, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area; General Hospital, Bali; General Hospital, Gembu; and FMC Jalingo.
Prof. Yilwatda said the intervention provided medical services to thousands of beneficiaries, including people who required surgical procedures.
He said sustainable national development could only be achieved when strong institutions placed Nigerians at the centre of development.
“Leadership is about service,” he said, urging political and public leaders to make giving back to society an important part of their responsibilities.
He reaffirmed his commitment to serving Nigeria and its people, saying his personal vision was to make every day of his life useful to humanity.
“Every day that I live, the vision is: let it be useful to humanity,” he said.
The Taraba State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Bordiya Buma, commended the initiative, saying it was consistent with the Renewed Hope agenda and efforts to strengthen healthcare delivery in the state.
Dr Buma said the second phase followed the successful completion of the first phase, which was conducted simultaneously in six local government areas, with two LGAs selected from each of the three senatorial districts.
According to him, more than 10,000 patients were attended to during the first phase, including people with medical and surgical conditions.
He disclosed that 327 general surgeries, 71 eye surgeries and 575 dental procedures were carried out during the exercise.
The commissioner expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for the Renewed Hope Medical Outreach and thanked Prof. Yilwatda for supporting the initiative and choosing Taraba State as a beneficiary.
The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, also commended Prof. Yilwatda for choosing Taraba State to mark his 58th birthday through a medical outreach.
Prof. Pate said making healthcare the centrepiece of the birthday celebration was significant because health affects everyone.
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Maritime1 day agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
Maritime1 day agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
