Connect with us

Niger Delta

Ewhrudjakpo Assures Businesses Of Inclusion In Subsidy Palliative …As Dep Gov Receives APC Defectors

Published

on

The Bayelsa State Government has assured that modalities are being worked out to include traders and other critical stakeholders of the business community in the State as beneficiaries of fuel subsidy palliatives.
Deputy Governor, Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo, gave the assurance when a group known as Bayelsa State Non-indigenes Market Leaders visited Government House, Yenagoa, to declare their support for the re-election bid of Governor Douye Diri.
The Tide learnt that the group is a coalition of leaders of various business unions, including the Unified Traders Union, Igbo Traders Association in Swali, Kpansia Traders Association, and Butchers Association.
Addressing the group, Senator Ewhrudjakpo said the state government was deeply concerned about the suffering of the people occasioned by the impetuous removal of fuel subsidy by the All Progressives Congress (APC)-led Federal Government.
To this end, he informed that the government had already lined up various economic packages for people of the state, including workers and traders to alleviate their hardship.
Expressing excitement over the visit, the Deputy Governor thanked the various business unions for coming together to identify with the Prosperity Administration and acknowledging its achievements in the last three years.
Describing the group as very credible and formidable, Senator Ewhrudjakpo noted that their endorsement of the candidature of Governor Diri would contribute greatly to the overwhelming victory of the Peoples Democratic Party in the November 11 Governorship election.
He said government would continue to prioritize security of lives and property to sustain the prevailing congenial environment for businesses to thrive in line with the prosperity agenda of the present administration.
Responding to some concerns raised by the business unions, such as multiple taxes, high toll on trucks bringing goods into Bayelsa, and the unwholesome activities of touts who parade themselves as government officials to defraud traders, Senator Ewhrudjakpo promised that government would look into all the issues.
He also assured that government would support the Swali Market Traders Association to conduct a peaceful election in the shortest possible time.
Speaking earlier, the Chairman of the Non-Indigene Business Community, Mr. Anthony Olikagu, lauded the Governor Douye Diri-led Administration for its achievements, describing their relationship with the current government as smooth and unparalleled.
Olikagu, who applauded the administration for the peace currently enjoyed in the state, thanked Governor Diri for the several appointments given to non-indigenes and assured him and the PDP of bloc votes in the forthcoming election.
In their separate remarks, Sir Pius Akabueze, Comrade Jude Osigwe and Mrs Nkechi Dikibo representing Unified Traders’ Union, the Igbo Traders Swali and Kpansia Traders Association, equally declared unwavering support for the Governor’s re-election.
They, however, called for their groups to be carried along in the campaigns and sharing of palliatives, representation of market women in government, and checking of multiple taxation which contributes to high prices of goods and services in the state.
In a related development, the Deputy Governor, Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo, weekend, assured defectors from the opposition APC from Wards 3 and 4 in Ofoni Community, and Ward 6 all in Sagbama Local Government Area, of their full reintegration to the PDP.
In their remarks, the Leader of the defectors from Ofoni, Mr Majane David, and his Ward 6 counterparts, Hon Asei Oweipade of Ossiama, Mr Solomon Otuku representing Ogbonugbene, Mr Stanley Moses (Aweigbene), and Mr Desmond of Egbepulu-ama, all regretted joining the APC and pledged to work for the continuity of the Prosperity Government.

By: Ariwera Ibibo-Howells,
Yenagoa

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending