Connect with us

Sports

WWC: NFF Agrees To Account For FG’s $1.7m 

Published

on

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), on Monday declared that it has nothing to hide in the $1.7 million approved by the Federal Government for Super Falcons’ participation in the ongoing Women’s World Cup holding in Australia and New Zealand.
NFF’s declaration came just as former Green Eagles winger, Adegoke Adelabu, charged the football house to be ready to account for how it spent the money after the competition.
Adelabu said: “The important thing is for them to give account of how the money was spent after the World Cup. If they are subjected to forensic auditing of account at the end of the competition, everything will be clear.”
The $1.7million approved by President Bola Tinubu for the Super Falcons’ participation at the World Cup was said to have been deliberately leaked to members of the public from office of the Chief of Staff in the Presidential Villa, thereby, causing mixed reactions from stakeholders.
While some are of the opinion that the leakage of such ‘classified documents’ should be condemned, others feel it will make the NFF to sit up.
Some other stakeholders were of the opinion that the Federal Government doesn’t have any business approving such huge amount for the NFF since world football governing body, FIFA, had already given the football house $1.5 million to prepare the team and would pay $30,000 to each player participating in the World Cup after the first round of matches.
However, a top official of the NFF told Tidesports source on Monday, that what the Federal Government approved was meant to cater for a number of things.
“The breakdown of all we asked from the Federal Government is there for everyone to see,” the official said, pleading anonymity. “At the initial stage, our request to the Federal Government through the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development captured winning bonuses for the players. But immediately FIFA came up with its $30,000 for the players, we wrote another letter to government to expunge the winning bonuses from the budget.
“Now, what we have in the breakdown is daily allowances for the players, winning bonuses and estacode for the coaches and other technical 3With the championship hosting 32 teams, it means only two top-placed teams in each will make progress to the knock-out rounds, where more cash is available for the players.
Ebi said the Falcons also want to earn more money in the tournament, with the sum of $60,000 to go to each player whose team attains the Round of 16, and $90,000 for any team that gets to the quarterfinals. Ever-present Nigeria is the only African team to have earned a point here after their first round of matches, with other flagbearers Zambia, South Africa and Morocco having been denied of any point by their respective opponents.
Nigeria’s forward, Desire Oparanozie, could play some part in Thursday’s cracker with the co-hosts at the Lang Park, as she appears to have substantially recovered from the injury she copped on the last day of the final training camp in Gold Coast, days to the FIFA World Cup.
She trained on her own, kicking the ball on the side of the pitch as the other 21 players were drilled by Waldrum and his assistants. Goalkeeper Chiamaka Nnadozie, who saved a penalty taken by non-pareil Christine Sinclair and won the MVP award on the day, was allowed off perhaps to relax her nerves.

Continue Reading

Sports

Football Pundit Lauds Chelle’s Effort In Monitoring Nigeria League Players

Published

on

A well-known football pundit in the State, Chief Christopher Okonkwo has lauded the efforts and vision of the Super Eagles Coach Eric Chelle for going from one venue of the Nigeria Domestic Nigeria Professional Football League match to the other in monitoring Nigerian players, with a view to invite some exceptional good one discovered into the main stream of the Super Eagles team.

Okonkwo, who made the commendation in an interview at the Port Harcourt Club recently, described the positive move by Coach Chelle as a good step in the right direction, noting that the practice was how its been done in the past among any contracted coach assigned to tinker the Super Eagles team.

“Truly, it has been an old tradition in the country seeing any newly engaged Coach to lead the National team, visiting some our Nigeria League venues during the league matches to spot light some good talents that could be used to beef up some grey areas in the department of Eagles team”

He, however, frowned at the current situation where our coaches had continously been over depending on the use of foreign based players during invitation of players to the National camp, thereby, relegating the domestic home based league players to the background as if they have nothing much to offer to the team.

“I can vividly recall that the likes of great players in the mode of Finidi George, Taribo West, Kanu Nwankwo, Austin Okocha, Richard Owobokiri, Emmanuel Osuigwe among others started from Nigeria football league before they graduated to play in Europe through which they later invited to Super Eagles camp to represent Nigeria”

“Besides, I’m also of the view that going to secondary school football competitive games could equally serves as a a good platform to discover budding talents that could be nurtured to become great stars in near future”, Okonkwo frankly added.
Okonkwo, therefore, prayed that any football coach to be engaged by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to tinker the Super Eagles should be told not to confine himself in staying in big hotel alone but to be visiting some of our local league match venues, with a view to discover some good players that can be drafted into the Super Eagles team.

“Indeed, I stand to be challenged that there some young good players in the Nigeria Professional League. If spotted and exposed, could give the some of the invited foreign based players a stiff competitive fight in securing a postion in the team”, Okonkwo emphatically stated.

Continue Reading

Sports

LGA Boss Pledges To Reintroduce School Sports 

Published

on

The chairman of the Khana Local Government Area (LGA) of Rivers State, Bariere Thomas, has revealed that plans are underway to commence school sports at the primary and secondary school levels in the area.
According to him, school sports that were primarily used to discover young talents had become a thing of the past, adding that one of the ways to discover young talents is to organize programs that will expose talents at the grassroots level.
Thomas said this on Saturday in an interview with sports journalists shortly after a novelty football match between Khana All-Stars and council appointees.
The match was held to mark the birthday of Felix Ibor, the Supervisor for Education in Khana LGA, at the Bori Police Station field.
The LGA boss reiterated that organizing competitive sporting events in primary and secondary schools is one of the best ways to bring out the best in young people and help to achieve their potential.
“What we are doing in the Khana Local Government Area is to consolidate on the sports we know, which are wrestling, cycling, football, and others,” he said.
He added that he is concerned about the competitive nature of wrestling on the global stage; at Khana LGA, for instance, they are focusing on how to consolidate the sports they know more about.
Thomas described Felix Ibor as an academic whom he has known and worked with since before he became LGA chairman.
He commended both teams for the novelty match, saying that it was held to celebrate Ibor’s birthday.
Ibor thanked the chairman and both teams for celebrating with him, and he prayed that God would also bless them.
Meanwhile, Ibor also presented a set of Jessy to the chairman for the council team.
Kiadum Edookor
Continue Reading

Sports

Ezechukwu Eyes Double Gold In African Champs

Published

on

Teenage Nigerian sprinter Miracle Ezechukwu has set her sights on winning both the 100m and 4x100m relay titles at the 24th African Athletics Championships in Accra, while also targeting a new personal best in the process, Tidesports source.

Ezechukwu, one of the youngest members of the Nigerian contingent at the championship in Ghana, said her ambition was to win the 100m title in style and cap it with a new personal record.

The fresh secondary school graduate explained that she is fully focused on contributing to Team Nigeria’s medal hopes and is determined to deliver strong performances across her events.

“My main objective in Ghana is to clinch the 100m title and the 4×100m,” Ezechukwu told Tidesports source.

“Nigeria can be assured of my very best and my commitment to the Team. I would love to set a new personal best in Ghana, but anything that comes, I will take it. The spirit in the team is high, and I think we are ready to go,” she said.

Ezechukwu, who was part of Nigeria’s women’s 4x100m relay squad at the World Relays in Botswana, said the experience gained from that competition has strengthened her mindset heading into the continental championships.

She admitted that she learned valuable lessons from her previous outing, including a difficult moment during the relay where an early error affected the team’s rhythm, but said she has used the experience to improve her discipline and composure.

“The secret is just being disciplined, training hard and trusting my coach and believing in God, and the result will show,” she added.

The teenager is part of a 41-member Nigerian team comprising 24 female and 17 male athletes competing at the championships, which begin today at the University of Ghana, Legon.

Nigeria are expected to compete across multiple track and field events as they aim for a strong finish against the continent’s elite athletes.

Continue Reading

Trending