Nation
FCT Residents Decry New Naira Notes Scarcity, High POS Charges
Some residents of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) have decried the scarcity of the new naira notes and high charges by POS operators in the territory.
The residents, who spoke in separate interviews with The Tide’s source in Gwagwalada, Kuje and Abaji Area Councils, said that customers were paying more than 10 per cent on every withdrawal.
The soure recalls that the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr Godwin Emefiele, had said the apex bank sought and obtained the approval of President Muhammadu Buhari to extend the deadline on naira swap to February 10.
It also reports that the CBN had earlier given January 31 as deadline for people to deposit the old naira notes in their possession in the banks.
However, some POS operators said that the sharp increase in their service charges was due to the difficulty in accessing the new notes from the commercial banks.
A building engineer in Gwagwalada, Abraham Gado, who expressed unhappiness with the development, said that the exploitation strategy adopted by POS operators was not in the interest of the masses.
Gado said that the situation called for a rethink on the side of the POS operators and the commercial banks to do something drastic to address the situation, to help cushion the hardship.
“I wish to appeal to the Federal Government, particularly the CBN and commercial banks, to adopt a stress-free strategy in withdrawing old naira notes from circulation,” he said.
Mr Emmanuel Nonso, a trader in Abaji market, said that POS operators were charging N1,000 for every N10,000 transaction.
“The new naira notes are not much in circulation and buyers still bring the old naira notes to buy our goods because they don’t have the new ones.
“The POS operators are charging us N1,000 for every N10,000 transaction, which is not good for our businesses,” he said.
A resident of Kuje Area Council, Mrs Eunice Madaki, said that the new notes were not in circulation in the area, adding that the queues at ATM points were worrisome.
Mr Silas Lagi, a POS operator at Kuje Area Council, said that the 10 per cent charges on each withdrawal was based on an agreement among POS operators in the area.
Lagi added that the new notes were not available whenever they went to withdraw money at the commercial banks in the area.
“If you know what we go through to get money from our banks to do this business, you will not complain or blame us for the increased charges.
“The problems and the struggle associated with getting money from the bank to pay customers who only want to withdraw is something else,” he stated.
The source reports that notwithstanding the 10-day extension by CBN on the collection of old naira notes, ATM points and banking halls within the area councils are still filled up, with the customers in search of the new naira notes.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
Nation
REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product
Nation
Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
