Nation
Nigeria’s Insecurity May Not End Soon, Ex-TUC President
A former president of the Trade Union Congress (TUC), Mr Peter Esele, has warned the Federal Government that the pervading insecurity in the country would never end unless public universities are reopened.
Esele gave the warning in an interview with newsmen, yesterday, in Benin while commenting on the solidarity protest by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC).
The NLC embarked on the protest on July 26 to show solidarity with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), which had been on strike for over five months.
He pointed out that from 1999 till date, the nation’s universities had been shut cumulatively for about six years.
Esele said, “Yet, we express surprise over the current insecurity. You have millions of Nigerian youths sitting at home and doing nothing.
“More so, infrastructure in the universities are decaying because nobody is there to manage them. You have an economy around universities, right now that economy is nil.
“Workers in that environment, real estate and even parents in the universities’ environment are all at home, so why are you surprised about insecurity?
“An idle mind, they say, is the devil’s workshop.”
The academic body had been at odds with the Federal Government over the years for the apparent inability of the government to meet the terms of its agreements with the union.
According to Esele, the NLC ought to have staged the protest a long time ago to show its displeasure but “better late than never.’’
He pointed out that the current strike could hurt the upcoming general elections, advising government to take steps to resolve the issues with ASUU, to save the future of democracy in the country.
The former TUC chief noted that the latest ASUU strike could have been avoided if the Federal Government had kept faith and respected the terms of agreements reached with ASUU.
“If you ask why ASUU is on strike right now, it is because they had negotiation with the Federal Government in 2009 and there was an agreement.
“That agreement was supposed to have been implemented by the government but they didn’t implement it.
“In 2014, government paid N200billion out of the N1.2trillion ASUU demanded and in 2019, government paid only N20billion.
“So, when government has gone ahead not to fulfil the terms of agreements reached, what you have naturally is for ASUU to go on strike to press its demands.”
Esele said that the solidarity protest by the NLC nationwide was to make everybody know that the continuous closure of public universities in the country was dangerous for the nation and the education sector in particular.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
Nation
REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product
Nation
Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
