Sports
Pinnick Drops Ambition Due To Family Pressure
President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick, has revealed he will not be running for the position for a third term due to increased pressure from his family.
Pinnick became the first NFF supremo to serve two terms in office after being re-elected in 2018 and with another election just around the corner, the FIFA Council member has revealed that pressure from his family and loved ones have led to his decision to step down.
The decision may also be connected to increased pressure from football fans and stakeholders across the country, who have clamoured for his resignation after the country’s failure to pick a ticket for Qatar 2022 World Cup.
The failure to qualify for the global football showpiece on March 29 saw fans encroach the pitch of the refurbished Moshood Abiola Stadium in Abuja after the blast of the final whistle destroying the grass on the pitch as well as the technical area as they publicly showed their displeasure with the result.
The federation has apologised to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), Sports Minister, Sunday Dare, as well as Nigerians across the world for their failure to qualify.
Pinnick who revealed that his position with the NFF has left a strain also stated that he did the best within his ability to see the Eagles qualify for the World Cup.
“At the moment, my family is completely against it. I have done my best, posterity will judge whether I did my best or I was good enough or not. I am still an integral part of football as a member of the FIFA Council, I am not a peripheral member, I am also a member of the CAF Emergency Committee, I am also the vice president of the AFCON committee, so I am still very deep in football but I believe there is time for everything,” Pinnick told The Tidesports source.
“It was a very tough decision but my wife, kids and extended family believe that I have put in so much and it is a job that is thankless. We did everything we should have done, especially in the last game against Ghana.
“We did everything we were supposed to do but at the end of the day, we are not meant to go on the pitch and play but we did everything in terms of motivation. The players were told in clear terms that if we won the game that FIFA was going to give us some sum of money and the players would take about 35 per cent of the money which is about $3.5million, so what else should the NFF have done?”
It can be recalled that Pinnick had in 2020 stated that he would not be vying for the position but later had a change of mind.
Sports
Amusan places third in Diamond League opener
The Nigerian, who arrived in China fresh from winning gold at the African Senior Athletics Championships in Ghana earlier on Wednesday, clocked a season’s best of 12.41s behind Olympic champion Masai Russell and Bahamian star Devynne Charlton.
Russell produced a dominant display to win the race in a meeting record and world-leading time of 12.25s, improving on her previous world lead of 12.40s.
Charlton, the reigning world indoor champion, finished second in 12.38s in one of her strongest outdoor performances to date.
Amusan, whose world record of 12.12s remains the fastest time ever run in the event, improved significantly from her previous season’s best of 12.84s set during her victorious outing at the African Championships in Accra.
The 29-year-old was competing in a stacked field that included reigning world champion Ditaji Kambundji of Switzerland, Jamaican pair Megan Simmonds and Ackera Nugent, China’s Wu Yanni and Americans Tonea Marshall and Danielle Williams.
Kambundji, who won the world title in Tokyo last year with a Swiss record 12.24s, finished fifth in 12.82s, while Jamaica’s Nugent placed sixth in 12.98s.
Marshall and Williams failed to finish the race.
Following Amusan’s victory in Accra, the three-time Diamond League final winner expressed gratitude to her supporters while insisting she remained determined to achieve more success this season.
“Beyond grateful to God, my team, supporters, and everyone who continues to believe in me through every season. Historic feeling. Still hungry for more. The mission continues,”
Sports
Falcons To Tackle Senegal in Pre-WAFCON friendly
The 10-time African champions are scheduled to take on the Teranga Lionesses on June 5 and 8 at the Remo Stars Stadium in Ikenne, Ogun State, in what will form a key part of their build-up to July’s continental tournament.
The fixtures were confirmed on social media platform X by Super Falcons Show, which announced the details of the encounter and venue.
“Nigeria’s senior women’s national team, the Super Falcons, will take on Senegal Women’s National Team in a double-header international friendly scheduled for June 5 and 8,” the post read.
“Both matches will be played in Ikenne, Nigeria.”
The friendlies come after Nigeria’s proposed training tour of the United Kingdom, which included a planned match against Jamaica, was cancelled due to scheduling complications linked to FIFA’s official women’s international window. The timing meant clubs would not have been obliged to release players.
With that tour shelved, the Senegal fixtures now offer a timely opportunity for coach Justine Madugu and his technical team to assess squad options, test tactical systems and strengthen team cohesion ahead of the WAFCON campaign and longer-term qualification targets for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil.
Senegal are expected to provide a competitive regional test, with their physical style and disciplined organisation likely to offer Nigeria a different tactical challenge across both matches.
The Super Falcons, who have dominated African women’s football for decades, will be aiming to use the double-header to fine-tune preparations as they pursue another continental title in Morocco next year.
Sports
Okpekpe Road Race Unveils Partners, Appoints Dr. Bojuwoye
Dr Bojuwoye, a seasoned medical professional with extensive experience in road running events across Nigeria, is expected to bring added value to the race through his expertise.
As medical director, his responsibilities will include overseeing emergency medical response, coordinating first aid stations along the course, ensuring athlete safety, and supervising medical volunteers and paramedics.
His role is critical in safeguarding the health of both elite and recreational runners, as well as spectators.
In addition to unveiling its new medical director, the organisers also announced five corporate partners for the 2026 edition.
The Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN), Petralon Energy, Razzl Drink, Dan Oil, and Carloha Motors have joined as sponsors, reflecting the race’s growing appeal across diverse sectors of the Nigerian economy.
The Okpekpe race, organised by Pamodzi Sports Marketing Company, has steadily risen in prominence since becoming the first road race in Nigeria to earn World Athletics label status in 2015.
It has since advanced to Gold Label Race status, attracting elite athletes from around the world and cementing its reputation as one of Africa’s benchmark road-running competitions.
Edo State, under the leadership of Governor Monday Okpebolo, has reaffirmed its commitment to supporting the race, citing its role in promoting tourism, community pride, and international recognition for the region.
Race Director Zack Amodu noted that the new partnerships underscore the event’s stature and its impact beyond sport.
We are delighted to welcome DBN, Petralon, Razzl, and Carloha Motors as partners for the 11th edition. Their support, alongside the backing of Edo State, not only strengthens the race but also reinforces its role as a platform for promoting excellence, youth empowerment, and community development,’ Amodu said.
Beyond its sporting significance, the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race has become a catalyst for social, health, and economic benefits.
It encourages fitness and healthy lifestyles, fosters social cohesion by bringing communities together, and generates economic activity through tourism, hospitality, and local commerce.
The event also showcases Edo State’s cultural vibrancy while contributing to Nigeria’s growing reputation in global athletics.
The 11th edition is expected to draw elite athletes, local participants, and international attention, further consolidating Nigeria’s place on the global athletics calendar.
-
Editorial3 days agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation3 days agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy3 days agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Sports3 days agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
-
Politics3 days ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Education3 days agoUNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
-
Sports3 days ago” Nigeria’s best domestic players are not in NPFL”
-
Politics3 days ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
