Nation
FG Disburses Monthly Stipend To 15,562 Poor People In Osun
The Federal Government (FG), through the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs , Disaster Management and Social Development, has embarked on the disbursement of monthly stipends, using debit cards, to 15,562 poor and vulnerable persons in Osun State.
The Tide source reports that at Boripe Local Government Secretariat, on Tuesday, 187 vulnerable persons were issued Debit Cards for the payment of their monthly stipends.
Osun Coordinator of Household Uplifting Programme-Conditional Cash Transfer (HUP-CCT), Mrs Iyabo Ayofe, explained that the FG has now digitalised the payment system.
Ayofe told the beneficiaries that their stipends (money) would be paid/loaded on the debit cards henceforth, stating that they can always withdraw their money on any Point of Sales (POS) machine or Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) at any time.
She said that the debit card has now erased the “cash by hand” mode of payment, and that anytime the beneficiaries are notified of payment, they can go to the ATM or use the POS closer to them to collect their money.
“The cards being issued to beneficiaries today are preloaded with N30,000 for the payment of the backlog of 2020 stipends.
“About 4,000 of the beneficiaries, however, would have more than N30,000 loaded on their cards because these category of beneficiaries have additional health expenses and dependants like pregnant women, breast feeding mothers and those with children from zero to five years.
“This digitalisation mode of payment makes payment easy, eliminates attack on beneficiaries by criminals and makes it easier for beneficiaries to withdraw their money wherever they are, at any point in time,” she said.
She, however, said the distribution of the debit cards to beneficiaries would only cover eight local government areas (as the pilot phase), but would be extended to the remaining 22 local government areas and area offices subsequently.
Ayofe said the Household Uplifting Programme/Conditional Cash Transfer is part of President Muhammadu Buhari’s promise to pull 100 million poor and vulnerable Nigerians out of poverty.
Also speaking, Osun Focal Person on National Social Investment Programme and the Senior Special Adviser to the Osun Governor on Social Investment Programme, Mr Lukman Bello, said the HUP-CCT, the new digitalised method of payment, is far better than the old “cash by hand” system because it eliminates insecurity. He advised beneficiaries to always keep the PIN of their debt cards secured.
He said the FG was paying the poor and vulnerable people in the state the stipends bi-monthly from January to June 2020, but had to suspend the payment because of the Corona Virus outbreak.
Bello said the FG has, however, re-continued the payment and that what the government is now paying the beneficiaries is the balance payment for July to December 2020.
“What we are owing beneficiaries is actually about 14 months stipends, but what we are paying now is the six months backlog of last year/July to December.
“After the end of the payment exercise, in the next three to four months, the stipend payment shall continue seamlessly,” he said
Mrs Isiah Olaitan and Mrs Muyilatu Oyewole, two of the beneficiaries from Boripe Local Government, praised the FG for the intervention, saying the money had really helped them to sustain themselves and also help their business growth.
They both, coincidentally, said they rear goats and chickens and that the stipends had been of immense help in boosting their little businesses.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
Nation
REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product
Nation
Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians
-
News1 day agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Maritime1 day agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News1 day agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
News1 day agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News1 day agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime1 day agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
