Nation
1999 Constitution Fatally Flawed, Anglican Bishop Affirms
The 1999 Constitution has been described by the Anglican Church as a toxic document that was designed to place a section of the country above others.
While advising that the 1999 Constitution be revisited, Bishop of the Akure Diocese of the Anglican Church, Rt. Revd Simeon Borokini, said the constitution left for Nigerians by the colonial masters remain the best for the country.
The bishop, who said this at Alade-Idanre, Ondo State, yesterday, explained that if the constitution was reviewed the wrongs in it which people have been complaining about would be corrected.
Borokini added that the flaws in the document had been the reason for the current level of acrimony and lack of mutual trust across the country.
He said, “The 1999 Constitution needs to be revisited. It was done to favour certain ethnic parts of the country and not others.
“So, I will suggest that the constitution should be revisited so that it will bring unity among the people so that it will not be a constitution that favours certain ethnic groups. The constitution is not practicable.
He also suggested that reports of the past national conferences as well as the recommendations by the Governor Nasir el-Rufai committee serve as useful resource materials to produce a “Nigerian Constitution of our dream.”
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
Nation
REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product
Nation
Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
Maritime1 day agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime1 day agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
