Connect with us

Nation

Group Tackles Rep On Moves To Amend NDDC Act

Published

on

Following his statement on why the National Assembly (NASS), is repealing the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) Act, a group known as Transparency and Accountability Advancement group, yesterday, disagreed with the Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on NDDC, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, insisting that the commission has no problem that would warrant amendment of its Act.

Yesterday, Tunji-Ojo said that the need to amend the commission’s Act was to make it more development orientated in the service of the region.

He equally stated that many deficiencies inherent in the extant laws regulating the affairs of the commission were stifling efficiency and transparency in the commission.

But reacting in a statement signed by the group’s National Chairman, Comrade Ebi Arogbofa, Transparency and Accountability Advancement opined, “Our attention has been drawn to comments credited to Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on the Niger Delta, Mr Olubunmni Tunji-Ojo, which oversights the Niger Delta Development Commission, that he is proposing a bill for the NDDC Act to be repealed and replaced with a new law.

“As reported by a national newspaper of March 3, 2021, Tunji-Ojo said the bill he is proposing will stipulate minimum qualifications for the offices of the MD and the EDs.

“Tunji-Ojo’s new proposal to repeal the NDDC Act won’t be welcomed, especially given that the current legislation is very clear on the qualifications for the executive positions.

“Under Part V, Section 12(1) and (1a), the NDDC Act provides that: ‘There shall be for the Commission, a Managing Director, and two Executive Directors who shall be indigenes of oil producing areas starting with the member states of the commission with the highest production quantum of oil and shall rotate amongst member states in the order of production; (a) have such qualification and experience as are appropriate for a person required to perform the functions of those offices under this Act’.

According to the newspaper, Tunji-Ojo said, it was an “irony that the law establishing the commission does not provide any punishment for any infraction committed within the commission.

“This is not true as there are more than enough provisions in the EFCC Act, the ICPC Act and the criminal code to punish those who commit infractions in any public institution, the NDDC inclusive. There is no need for this Tunji-Ojo merry go round proposal to replace the NDDC Act, except it is clearly what it is, an agenda to prolong the Interim arrangement.

“Tunji-Ojo and his colleagues should first answer for their failure to defend the NDDC Act as it is now when the minister allegedly ignored the law, disregarded the Governing Board appointed by the president and cleared by the National Assembly in line with the NDDC Act, and, instead, appointed interim managements since October 2019. The NDDC has been operating outside the ambit of the NDDC Act since October 2019, yet Tunji-Ojo and his colleagues did nothing to ensure that the provisions of the NDDC Act are followed.

“We recall that Tunji-Ojo presided over the House of Representatives Committee that probed the last NDDC Interim Management Committee but failed to present the report of the committee to the House of Representatives for adoption.

“How can a committee chairman who compromises an oversight investigation talk now of amending the NDDC Act as if that was what made him inert in presenting the report of his committee’s investigation? It is clear that Tunji-Ojo is compromised in this whole matter of the NDDC. Our people in the Niger Delta reject this. We will not accept Tunji Ojo’s position.

“We had stated previously that the appointment of Mr Effiong Okon Akwa, a member of the previous Interim Management Committee, as Interim Sole Administrator of the Commission with a mandate to head the agency is illegal as it contravenes the NDDC Act. We are bothered at the continuation of this brazen behaviour of the Niger Delta Minister in making appointments of heads of the NDDC, despite sound legal counsel that it is not only unlawful but disenfranchises the nine constituent states of the NDDC to fair representation in the development agency.

“It is sad that the desecration and disregard for the NDDC Act is taking place under the nose of the National Assembly, which must sit up and insist that the proper thing be done. The peace in the Niger Delta region should not be taken for granted as many nationalities, groups and stakeholders have continued to question the propriety of appointing illegal interim administrators for the NDDC.

“The concern of every Niger Deltan and indigenes of the NDDC states at the moment is to put in place the Governing Board in line with the NDDC Act without any further delay. The forensic audit has been used as an excuse to put the Governing Board on hold. After undertaking that audit for over 15 months now, there can be no further excuse for not concluding the audit and putting the Board in place.

“We want to remind the Presidency that in response to the condemnation of Akwa’s appointment last December, Akpabio had pleaded that the Governing Board of the NDDC will be put in place in April this year. We cannot have another delay. The Interim Sole Administrator arrangement will not be tolerated any further. We won’t allow any politician or group to ride roughshod with the resources of the Niger Delta people and mess with the NDDC Act for their selfish political and corrupt interests forthwith. The current illegality in the NDDC should be ended now. The NDDC Governing Board should be put in place without any delay.”

 

 

Continue Reading

Nation

RSG Hosts 2026 President’s Inter-SS Debate as Eight States Vie for National Crown

Published

on

Eight states across Nigeria have converged in Port Harcourt for the 2026 edition of the President’s Inter-Senior Secondary Schools Debate Championship, hosted by Rivers State Government.

The three_days championship, themed “27th Democracy & 3rd Year Anniversary of President Ahmed Tinubu Inter-Senior Schools Debate Championship,” opened on Monday at Government Girls Secondary School, Rumueme, Port Harcourt.

The participating states are Ebonyi, Abia, Delta, Sokoto, Yobe, Kwara, Enugu, and host state Rivers. Each state is represented by its top debaters selected through state-level contests.

Declaring the event open, the Rivers State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, said the championship goes beyond winning trophies. He described it as a national investment in the next generation of leaders.

“This platform is for nurturing young minds,” Nwagor said. “It builds critical thinking, research skills, confidence, effective communication, and the ability to engage constructively with views different from one’s own. These are the very qualities upon which responsible leadership and nation-building are founded.”

The Commissioner commended the organizers, participating schools, teachers, and coordinators for their commitment to promoting intellectual excellence among Nigerian youths.

He urged the students to compete with confidence, discipline, and respect. “Debate is not merely about winning an argument,” he noted. “It is about listening carefully, reasoning with clarity, presenting your evidence with honesty, and having the grace to learn from others. Let the quality of your ideas and the strength of your character define your participation here.”

Nwagor assured the participants that Rivers State is proud to play its part in raising a generation that will bring bold and innovative solutions to the country’s challenges. He wished all teams a rewarding, memorable, and successful championship.

Earlier in his welcome address, the National Coordinator of the President’s Schools Debate Nigeria, PSDN, Elder Dare Oritu, called the event a “gathering of minds” drawn from different parts of the country.

According to Oritu, debate is about three things. “It is about _unity_. It brings us together from different schools and backgrounds to learn from one another. It is about _broadening the mind_. It teaches you to think deeply, to listen well, to ask ‘why,’ and to defend your ideas with facts and respect. It is about _preparing you for leadership_. The problem-solvers and decision-makers of tomorrow are in this hall today.”

He reminded the students that debate is not a contest of aggression. “Debate is _not a fight_. We challenge ideas, not people. It is _not about who is better_. And it is _not do-or-die_. We win with grace, and we learn with humility,” Oritu said.

The PSDN National Coordinator encouraged all participants to compete with integrity, speak with clarity, and leave wiser than they came. He wished them the very best throughout the competition.

Highlights of the opening ceremony included the official draw for debate matches, administered by PSDN officials. The pairings will determine which states face each other in the preliminary rounds as the battle for the 2026 national title begins.

 

Amadi Akujobi

Continue Reading

Nation

NIIT Port Harcourt Graduates 61 Cybersecurity Students, Enrols 48 New Intakes

Published

on

The National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT), Port Harcourt, has graduated 61 students from its six-month Cybersecurity training programme. The institute also inducted 48 new students for the new academic session during a brief ceremony held at its Port Harcourt centre on Monday.

Centre Manager of NIIT Port Harcourt, Mr. Precious Ogulu Tom, said the institute is always excited to induct students into cybersecurity because it is one of its flagship courses with strong international recognition. He noted that the centre’s performance has earned it high ratings from ICSS, adding that in the past academic year, more than 20 students passed ICSS certification exams.

According to him, beyond the NIIT certificate, which is globally recognized, students also proceed to ICSS and complete their courses without difficulty. He credited the faculty for maintaining standards and said NIIT remains the leading ICT training institute in Port Harcourt and Rivers State.

Tom said NIIT has a presence in all major cities in Nigeria and its headquarters in India, with training covering all areas of ICT. He added that every year the institute produces at least one first-class graduate in Software Engineering from partner universities such as Middlesex University and the University of Sunderland. He described the institute’s approach as practical and hands-on.

On fees, he addressed comments about cost online, saying quality training requires investment. “Does anything good come easy? Nothing good comes easy,” he stated. He explained that students receive industry-standard books and globally recognized certificates, and invited parents and prospective students to register with NIIT for value-driven training.

Also speaking, Principal Instructor for Cybersecurity and Ethical Hacking, Mr. Nyekwere TamunoTonye, said the cohort began in February with high expectations and completed the programme in six months. He said one notable achievement was that the class remained largely intact despite challenges, including system breakdowns and family issues. “At the end of this six months, we never lost anybody. That is the greatest. So, we give God the glory,” he said.

Nyekwere said students were exposed to multiple domains in cybersecurity and received strong practical training. He told the graduands that their real learning starts now and urged them not to relent. “This is no longer the time you go back to play,” he added.

He emphasized that the institute equipped them not only with technical and practical skills but also with character and a mindset for continuous learning. He noted that no institution, including Harvard or Yale, can teach everything, but good schools set the path, which NIIT has done.

He charged them to deploy their skills positively. “I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the EFCC tomorrow. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the police. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested,” he said.

Senior IT Counselor and Head of Sales and Marketing, Mrs. Igbigbari Vincent-Eretoru, congratulated the graduands for completing the programme and defending their presentations according to NIIT academic standards. She said certificates are awarded in character and learning, and urged them to be good ambassadors of NIIT Port Harcourt by applying what they learned.

Responding on behalf of the graduates, Class Section Head Tamunotonyesia Epelle said many came in with questions and uncertainty about specializations but left with clarity, confidence, and technical competence gained through practical assignments, teamwork, and the instructor’s push to avoid mediocrity.

Continue Reading

Nation

HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones

Published

on

The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.

In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.

The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.

According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.

Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.

Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.

In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.

The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.

Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3

Continue Reading

Trending