Politics
Gov Wike Receives Report On Police Brutality, Others
Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, last week, received the report from the Commission of Inquiry that investigated Human Right Abuses, Police Brutality and Extra-Judicial Killings by the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in the state.
Chairman of the Commission, Justice Chukwunenye Uriri (rtd) submitted the report, last Friday, in Government House, Port Harcourt. He disclosed that the Commission received 190 petitions, out of which, 82 were struct out for lack of due deligence or jurisdiction and considered 108 of them.
Uriri remarked that the police officers who committed the crimes agaist Rivers people especially, Mr Akin Fakorede and his cohorts do not have any affinity with the state.
Governor Wike who commended the members of the Commission for their dedication and set up a five-member committee, mainly lawyers, from the State Executive Council to study the report and determine the content of a White paper , which would be considered in the next Executive Council meeting.
The Governor challenged the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioner of Police in the state to implement the White paper as a proof that Federal Government was serious about ending police brutality in the country.
Also last week, the Rivers State Executive Council approved the construction of two new flyover Projects in Port Harcourt City.
The state Commissioner for Works, Eloka Tasie-Amadi, who briefed journalists after the Council meeting, last Wednesday, said the two projects woul cost the state N12.4 Billion .
The Commissioner stated that one of the flyover bridges is situated at the inter-section of Olu-Obasanjo and Port Harcourt Expressway popularly called, Waterlines Junction, while the second one is located at the inter-section of Olu-Obasanjo and Ikwerre Road, up to the Azikiwe Street in Diobu Area of the city.
The State Commissioner for Information and Communications, Paulinus Nsirim, remarked that the approval for the two additional flyovers was historic and had given further impetus to the urban renewal programme of the Wike administration.
Nsirim used the opportunity to announce the third phase of project inauguration scheduled to begin from the 1st March. According to him, list of the projects to be inaugurated would be made public in due course.
The Rivers State Chief Executive had warned that if the Nigerian Governors Forum went ahead to endorse fresh withdrawal of fund by the Federal Government from the Excess Crude Account, he would have no option than to contest it in court.
He questioned what happened to the $1Billion withdrawn from the account in 2017, on the stance that it would be used to fund the fight agaist Boko Haram insurgents in the North East.
Governor Wike declared his stand last Friday when the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, paid him a courtesy visit in Government House Port Harcourt.
The Governor said he would not support the plan for any fresh withdrawal unless Rivers State was given her 13 per cent share from the account.
Wike who reminded the Emir of Kano how his late father and other leaders in their time were strongly committed to peace and national unity, expressed regret that the present political and religious leaders were not building on such successes.
He accused heads of security agencies, particularly the Inspector-General of Police of politicising security by posting Commissioners of Police to the state on orders of a politician in the ruling party.
The Emir had earlier, commended Governor Wike for the protective and fatherly role he had continued to play in this turbulent times of the nation’s history. He equally lauded the Governor for the giant strides recorded in all spheres of governance and urged other leaders to emulate him. him.
The Senate Chief Wipe and former Governor of Abia State, Chief Orji Uzor-Kalu was among top dignitaries who visited the Brick House, last week. Uzor-Kalu who inspected some projects in the state, praised Gov Wike for the infrastructural revolution in the state under his administration.
He described the Governmen House Hospital as second to none in the country and also expressed excitement over the flyover Bridges, Mother and Child Hospital, Real Madrid Academy.
“ All the facilities I have seen here is first class”, he said, and admired Gov Wike’s payment of 70 per cent to contractors upfront.
Also last week, the Brick House landlord released the sum of N400million for members of Ekporo community in Eleme Local Government Area for the rebuilding of the community and compensation to families fatally affected by inter communal clashes eight years ago.
Secretary to the State Government, Dr Tammy Danagogo, represented the Governor at the event.
By: Chris Oluoh
Politics
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
Rt Hon. Abbas secured the party’s ticket through an affirmation exercise conducted across the 13 electoral wards in the constituency.
The wards involved include Kwarbai A, Kwarbai B, Limancin-Kona, Unguwar Fatika, Unguwar Juma, Dutsen Abba, Gyallesu, Kufena, Dambo, Wuchichiri, Tudun Wada, Tukur-Tukur, and Kaura.
The exercise, which began simultaneously in all wards at about 10 a.m., recorded large turnout of APC members who gathered at various party offices across the constituency.
At Kwarbai B Ward, the Speaker’s ward, the process was conducted peacefully under the supervision of the ward APC Returning Officer, Malam Iliyasu Muhammad Balarabe, in the presence of Rt Hon. Abbas.
According to the ward APC secretary, Nafiu Sabo, the ward has over 10,000 registered members, but 220 members were accredited for the exercise.
Before the affirmation, Mallam Balarabe informed members that Rt Hon Abbas was the only aspirant who purchased nomination forms, underwent screening, and was cleared by the APC national leadership to contest the Zaria Federal Constituency seat.
Following a voice vote by accredited members, the Speaker was affirmed as the party’s candidate in the ward, a process replicated across the remaining 12 wards.
At the constituency collation centre, the APC Returning Officer for the House of Representatives primary in Zaria Federal Constituency, Dr. Hamisu Ibrahim Kubau, announced that 1,376 APC members across the 13 wards endorsed Rt Hon. Abbas as the party’s flag bearer.
He explained that although thousands of party members participated in the exercise, only accredited delegates were allowed to vote.
Dr. Kubau declared: “There are 13 wards in Zaria Federal Constituency, and only one aspirant purchased a form, was screened, and cleared. He is Rt. Hon. Abbas Tajudeen. After due process, we conducted affirmations across all wards.”
He added that the process was peaceful and monitored by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and party representatives.
Chairman of the APC House of Representatives Primary Elections in Kaduna State, Senator Yakubu Oseni, described the outcome as a reflection of the Speaker’s popularity and acceptance among constituents.
He expressed confidence that Rt Hon Abbas would secure victory in the 2027 general elections.
Speaking after his declaration, Rt Hon. Abbas expressed appreciation to APC members for reaffirming their confidence in him.
Politics
C’River APC Reps Members Cry Foul, Describe Primary Election As Charade
The incumbent Reps including Emily Inyang and Godwin Offionio, in separate interviews
protested the handling of the primaries conducted by the leadership of the party in the state, saying it was skewed against them.
The aspirants further described the primaries as a charade and an embarrassment to the state.
According to them, the House of Representatives primaries fell short of the provisions of both the Electoral Act as amended in 2026 and the party’s constitution.
They accused the leadership of the party in the state, backed by Governor Bassey Otu, of violating the party’s constitution in the conduct of the House of Representatives primaries across the state on Saturday.
Hon. Godwin Offiono, representing Ogoja/Yala Federal Constituency, particularly expressed disappointment with the primary that allegedly disenfranchised registered members of the party in his constituency.
Hon. Offiono asserted that having failed to arrive at a consensus, the party leadership opted for a direct primary to decide the candidate for the 2027 election.
“But what I witnessed today was not only alarming, but quite disheartening that our electoral system have not shown any improvement, especially now that we have a man of God in the person of the governor as the leader of the party.
“How do you declare a result by 9:00am even when the electoral materials were yet to arrive at Yala.
“As an aspirant, I couldn’t even vote or see the materials for my own primary at my Okuku ward in Yala Local Government Area, where I come from. But no matter what happens I am still in the race and have not stepped down for anybody.
“The governor had all the time in the world to drive the process of consensus but he never did. As a representative, I cannot even see my governor. I called, no response. I sent text no reply. I am treated as an out cast,” he lamented.
In an emotion laden tone during a telephone interview, Hon. Offiono further said: “I could not believe that first term NASS members like me can be treated in this shoddy manner even when I don’t know my offence.
“I have been a loyal party man. I appeal to the governor to do the right thing, follow the Electoral Act and party constitution in electing representatives.”
Similarly, Hon. Emil Inyang of Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency said he still remained in the race and had not stepped down for anybody.
According to him, “If this shenanigan called primary is allowed to stand, it would affect the party’s fortune in the general elections.
“My appeal to the governor is to allow the people to decide. And if they so voted against me, I will rest and not fight over anything.
“There was no stakeholders meeting held to decide on anything before now, and someone can not be unilaterally imposed on us all in the name of compromised primary,” he stated.
Politics
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
A coalition of support groups within the All Progressives Congress (APC) has protested the disqualification of former presidential aspirant, Mr Tein Jack-Rich, from the Rivers West Senatorial race ahead of the party’s primaries for the 2027 general elections.
The groups, in a statement issued on Saturday morning in Abuja, described the action of the party’s screening committee as unjust and capable of worsening internal divisions within the APC in Rivers State.
The statement, signed by the coalition’s National Coordinator, Dr. Bilal Galadima, and General Secretary, Hon. James Ogenyi, accused the party leadership in Rivers State of favouring politicians loyal to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Chief Nyesom Wike, while sidelining long-standing members of the APC.
The coalition alleged that only aspirants aligned with Chief Wike were cleared to contest for elective positions in the state.
“How can our party allow only one man who is not a member of our party to make decisions or dictate the direction of our party?”, the group queried.
The coalition specifically faulted the exclusion of Mr Jack-Rich, describing him as a loyal party member who had supported the APC for more than 13 years and previously contested the party’s presidential ticket.
It also questioned the alleged clearance of Chief Felix Obua, whom it described as a recent entrant into the party and an ally of Chief Wike.
“How can our party disqualify Jack-Rich, a former presidential aspirant who has been loyal and supported our party for the last 13 years, only for our party to choose Felix Obua, a Wike loyalist who only joined the party three months ago?”, the statement read.
The group warned that failure by the APC leadership and National Working Committee (NWC) to address the matter as it could weaken the party’s structure in Rivers State ahead of the 2027 elections.
It called on party leaders to uphold internal democracy, reward loyalty and ensure a level playing field for all aspirants.
INEC TO BEGIN MEMBERSHIP VERIFICATION AS POLITICAL PARTIES SUBMIT REGISTER
All 22 registered political parties have successfully submitted their membership registers to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in compliance with the Electoral Act 2026, the Commission has said.
In a statement issued on Friday, Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Mohammed Haruna, said the submission followed the extension granted by the Commission after political parties raised concerns during a meeting on Tuesday, March 24, 2026, regarding the timeline provided in the Revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2027 general elections.
He said, “The Commission is pleased to note that all registered parties submitted their registers as of 8th May 2026, two days before the extended deadline.”
He recalled that following a meeting with political parties, the Commission, in a statement issued on the 27th of March, 2026, adjusted the deadline for the submission of party registers from 21st April 2026 to 10th May 2026 to align with the provisions of Section 77(4) of the Electoral Act 2026 and the actual dates fixed by political parties for their primaries.
Mr Haruna noted that political parties were accordingly allowed to conduct their primaries within the approved period from 23rd April 2026 to 30th May 2026, while the register of party members was required to be submitted to the Commission not later than 21 days before the conduct of their respective primaries.
He added, “INEC wishes to state that all registered political parties complied with the requirement within the extended timeframe and will subject the submitted registers to the necessary verification processes in line with the law.”
The Commission restated its commitment to the conduct of free, fair, credible and inclusive elections.
-
Editorial20 hours agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation19 hours agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Hold Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy20 hours agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Environment21 hours agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
News1 day agoFubara, Wife Hail Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Initiative …As Over 6,800 Families Benefit From Largesse In Rivers
-
Politics21 hours ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Politics21 hours ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
-
Maritime23 hours agoProducts, Others, To Arrive Lagos Ports Today — MPA
